Do Thailand government help handicapped children ????

nomad2019

My partner has a son  and he has cerebral palsy very severely handicapped mentally and physically. He is 20 years old.

She is working in a long way away from him and she needs to provide for his care I help as best I can but it is getting such a burden.       I'm stuck in a rut because I have another child my own biological daughter and she is needing financial support in my home country.

Does anyone know if the Thai government offer any assistance financially towards handicap children and their parents

surely there are some free government schools for children / people with this type of handicap his mother just cannot cope both financially and mentally it's a huge huge Burden.

Thanks in advance for any info you can give me

Edited by nomad2019

Aside of public healthcare etc I doubt there is anything available that offers significant money that could make that much better. I guess it really much depends on where one lives too, there might be some day care to relieve but that would cost money too.

• Like 2

I think that it depends a lot on what and where.

My son is ever so slightly on the autism spectrum. He needs some special care, largely because he cannot deal with the noise and pressure of a regular classroom, but nothing heavy. He goes to a regular government school not far from home, and he has a dedicated teacher and a dedicated classroom, which is awesome. There are other children enrolled too, but they rarely go to school, because they are heavily handicapped, and COVID did not help either. Because of that, the teachers go to them at their homes, and do their best to provide some teaching support. It is really amazing to see the dedication.

However, from what I gather, the level of support is patchy and inconsistent. Bigger population centres are better equipped, obviously. There are foundations that can help. In my son's case, he benefits from the Khun Poom Foundation, that was set up by HRH Princess Ubolratana in memory of her late son (who was autistic and died tragically during the Tsunami in 2004), to aid children with autism and other learning disabilities.

A friend has a 7 yr old handicapped daughter and she is in a special school outside of Chiang Mai...

I don't know of any care offered for older children or adults... you might ask at the local amphur or local government hospitals and see if they can point you in a proper direction.