Problems using Bangkok Bank Debit Card (MasterCard) online

Problems started 3 weeks ago when Netflix told me they were unable to take a payment, this had happened 2 months before when Bangkok Bank we’re having problems with their online banking so put it down to that but after 2 days it still wasn’t working.

A couple of days later I had no problem booking a hotel online with Agoda using the stored card details but now I’m not even able to do that & when I try using the details stored in Google it says the 3 digit security code is wrong.

Anybody else having similar problems? I asked at the Branch & they said it’s something to do with only being able to use it on sites that use OTPs but this is clearly rubbish as I couldn’t use it on a travel site that uses OTPs either.

At the moment I’m using my Citi Singapore cards, exchange rate is excellent & no fees so it’s more of an annoyance than a necessity - Is it worth the hassle to get a Visa Credit card, I don’t mind putting some money as a bond if it means I’m not messing around every time I’m trying to buy something online.. 

Edited by Mike Teavee

For some reason I’m now able to book a hotel with Agoda on the card again ???? 

I did go in to the Bangkok Branch in Central festival to change my address from Bangkok to Wongamat when I reported the problem & only got a message back from the bank 4 days ago that “My request has been processed” so maybe they’ve updated the online thing at the same time as the address.

1 minute ago, mokwit said:

Do you have to get a debit card issued with your name on to use it online or will one without name work? (after authorising online use, if you can)

Not sure you can get a Debit Card without a name on it or if any online sites would accept it but mine (in Thailand, Singapore & UK) only have my 2 initials & surname on them. 

1 hour ago, Mike Teavee said:

Not sure you can get a Debit Card without a name on it or if any online sites would accept it but mine (in Thailand, Singapore & UK) only have my 2 initials & surname on them. 

Thai Bangkok Bank debit cards don't have a name on them like e.g. UK ones. I understand you can get one with your name on it if you ask (and of course pay).

Need to know if I can use one without name. Also I understand Bangkok bank credit card cannot be used online overseas* - only for in person in country purchases so debit card likely the same?

* I am sure Platinum type ones can, but was told by staff "cannot", presumably in reference to standard one.

• Like 1

May not be relevant as this is a Bangkok Bank thread but I use SCB Planet card. (VISA) Yes it is prepay so online payments involves one more step but so far it is accepted anywhere on line.

It has my name on it.

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Like 1

I think it could be a problem with Chrome's saving credit card details. I had the same problem where the website did not accept the CVC code (which is not saved by Chrome but has to be typed in each time). Eventually I deleted all the saved cards from Chrome and then, after keying in all the credit card details to the website, the payment was accepted. It affected my UK Visa debit card and my BBL cards, nothing to do with OTP. Cached credit card details used to work OK with Chrome, I first noticed problems a month or so ago.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

I did go in to the Bangkok Branch in Central festival to change my address from Bangkok to Wongamat when I reported the problem & only got a message back from the bank 4 days ago that “My request has been processed” so maybe they’ve updated the online thing at the same time as the address.

I have a Bangkok Bank debit card and for the first time in the three years I've been a subscriber, Netflix was unable to process the payment at the beginning of this month.

When I inquired at the bank, I was told it was a problem with Netflix. I believed them because I discovered that others have also had problems with Netflix's payments processing system, but after reading this thread, I'm thinking it is a problem with the card after all.

Having said that, I have never had a problem with the card in the nine years I've been a customer of the bank.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Samyan said:

I have a Bangkok Bank debit card and for the first time in the three years I've been a subscriber, Netflix was unable to process the payment at the beginning of this month.

When I inquired at the bank, I was told it was a problem with Netflix. I believed them because I discovered that others have also had problems with Netflix's payments processing system, but after reading this thread, I'm thinking it is a problem with the card after all.

Having said that, I have never had a problem with the card in the nine years I've been a customer of the bank.

I am also having issues with my BBL Mastercard Debit card and Netflix,,,,,,,,woked great for a year or more. Now Netflix errors out and says "Cannot process this card try another "

I had a problem paying Spotify this month. Went into Bangkok Bank branch on Monday and they said the problem has been caused by an IT upgrade and it could take a couple of months to sort out!
Also had problems with on-line payments. 

Have to pay Spotify from a Thai bank/PayPal etc. Their systems refused payment when I tried U.K. PayPal account and U.K. registered Visa card as it said the card was not issued in Thailand. 
Went an opened an account at SCB bank, problem solved, payment made.  Can’t be bothered to wait for Bangkok Bank to sort this issue out. 
Will switch Netflix payment to be taken from SCB account too before next payment is due so thanks for heads up on that payment failing with Bangkok Bank. 

• Like 1

From 23rd October bank bank have blocked international debit card payments due to the fraud that took place earlier that month - you can request a temporary release for some sellers - ie booking.com but they will not allow release for apple.com - both my iCloud and purchase in online store were declined and they said it is not on the list to release temporarily- they could give no timescale for fix so can only use for local Thai payment- ie roojai.com that worked no problem 

Edited by Expat2014

4 minutes ago, Expat2014 said:

From 23rd October bank bank have blocked international debit card payments due to the fraud that took place earlier that month - you can request a temporary release for some sellers - ie booking.com but they will not allow release for apple.com - both my iCloud and purchase in online store were declined and they said it is not on the list to release temporarily- they could give no timescale for fix so can only use for local Thai payment- ie roojai.com that worked no problem 

I’ve been using my Citi Singapore debit card (Netflix & a tour company) since having this problem & seems to work fine.

I will be opening a new bank account & getting a Visa card when I get back though. 

Edited by Mike Teavee

On 11/16/2021 at 9:55 AM, scubascuba3 said:

It's been mentioned a few times, you need to contact Bangkok Bank and get them to authorise payments online

I could not pay beIN sports my monthly payment by my Bangkok bank, beIN stopped my account during half time of a recent football match.

I went to Bangkok bank, and the teller just had no idea of what to do or what to tell me, so I ended up just using my UK debit card.

beIN don't come out with it well either, but what can I do? There is no competition at anywhere near their price.

Just now, Will B Good said:

Yes....ended up doing the same and no doubt be stung for charges and exchange rates.....annoying.

I did really well with my Citi Singapore debit card, using the mid price (which you never get) on XE at the time, my 419 THB Netflix sub cost me 419.35 THB + no charges. 

1 minute ago, Mike Teavee said:

I did really well with my Citi Singapore debit card, using the mid price (which you never get) on XE at the time, my 419 THB Netflix sub cost me 419.35 THB + no charges. 

I never look....it just upsets me......UK banks are well versed in the art of ripping people off.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

I could not pay beIN sports my monthly payment by my Bangkok bank, beIN stopped my account during half time of a recent football match.

I went to Bangkok bank, and the teller just had no idea of what to do or what to tell me, so I ended up just using my UK debit card.

beIN don't come out with it well either, but what can I do? There is no competition at anywhere near their price.

If it was a UK credit card such as Halifax Clarity it would be fine as 0% charges. I would call Bangkok Bank and ask someone there. The quality of staff in Thailand can be average at best with weak knowledge, if they don't know they guess rather than ask their supervisor

3 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

If it was a UK credit card such as Halifax Clarity it would be fine as 0% charges. I would call Bangkok Bank and ask someone there. The quality of staff in Thailand can be average at best with weak knowledge, if they don't know they guess rather than ask their supervisor

I already said that and got one of many saddos from  a certain poster from Liverpool.

On 11/17/2021 at 8:21 AM, tweedledee2 said:

I have debit cards from KT, KK and BB, all without a cardholder name. No issues with online purchases or card readers.

Good to know. I would always be scared it would trigger a fraud alert and I would have to spend a morning at the banks sorting it out.

I can't be bothered to use my BB Debit card anymore, always been spotty. I moved to SCB and then applied for the Planet SCB pre-paid Visa card which I can move money off and on as needed.

Edited by Karma80
  • Like 1

On 11/17/2021 at 8:21 AM, tweedledee2 said:

I have debit cards from KT, KK and BB, all without a cardholder name. No issues with online purchases or card readers.

The big question I forgot to ask is: is that just domestically or international as well?

• 2 years later...
On 11/16/2021 at 1:16 PM, Mike Teavee said:

Last friday I booked a resort on Agoda with my Bangkok Bank Debit Card.

The following day, Agoda asked for a copy of my passport and of my Debit Card.

Since my name is not printed on that Debit Card,  they rejected it and cancelled my booking.

My booking was paid and debited by Bangkok Bank on Friday. On monday I am still waiting for a refund!