How to hire a car or pickup for a trip to up country?

OneMoreFarang

I am only used to Bangkok and 99% of the time I ride motorcycle so please forgive me my ignorance.

What is the best way to hire a car/taxi or pickup truck for a one way trip from Bangkok to a village in Prachin Buri?

Just ask one of the taxi-no-meter drivers? Grab? Any other services?

The main criteria are that the driver is experienced and no maniac and knows where to drive. A good price would be good but I won't argue about a couple of hundred THB more or less. English language is not required.

I am only used to Bangkok and 99% of the time I ride motorcycle so please forgive me my ignorance.

What is the best way to hire a car/taxi or pickup truck for a one way trip from Bangkok to a village in Prachin Buri?

one way is fine  but if u want to come back no    if u want to come back then rent a car   shop around and pick a decent price      low ball is what u will get ...           chk tires on car   fluid levels   overall ck 

The main criteria are that the driver is experienced and no maniac and knows where to drive. A good price would be good but I won't argue about a couple of hundred THB more or less.

English language is not required.

i would pick someone with english skills or interpreter 

5 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Why is it for some people so difficult to answer a simple question or just stay quiet?

Do I really have to explain that my gf will travel alone and she does not need a driver who understands English. And she wants to take some heavy items with her which makes a bus or train a bad choice.

This is why I asked for a taxi or pickup truck. I know myself where to find the bus or train...

Taking heavy things on a bus. Is not a problem at all. As a regular visitor of buss terminal South, I saw people even brought squat  toilets they bought with them on the buss  to the  the far south.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Just ask one of the taxi-no-meter drivers? Grab? Any other services?

The main criteria are that the driver is experienced and no maniac and knows where to drive. A good price would be good but I won't argue about a couple of hundred THB more or less. English language is not required.

PM sent.

1 hour ago, jackdd said:

I recently did something similar, Bangkok to Lop Buri. After looking around a bit I decided to just use Bolt, that's definitely the easiest, and considerably cheaper than Grab.

I opted for the "Limousine" car class, did cost about 1600THB, which was 200THB more or so than the regular car, a Toyota Camry showed up. Grab for a regular car would have charged around 1000THB more.

Upon arrival of the driver I asked him if he is aware that he accepted a 4-5 hour round trip, which was OK for him (sometimes the drivers accept a ride without looking). He just followed Google maps and it was no problem to arrive at my destination.

Do you have a link?

I didn't find it with Google.

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Why is it for some people so difficult to answer a simple question or just stay quiet?

Do I really have to explain that my gf will travel alone and she does not need a driver who understands English. And she wants to take some heavy items with her which makes a bus or train a bad choice.

This is why I asked for a taxi or pickup truck. I know myself where to find the bus or train...

Look at your original post which is clearly lacking then look at your response to me! Are they the same if so there isn't much more I need to say to explain to the readers what is the problem!

Next time let your GF do her own planning the outcome would most likely be quicker and better!  You got along find before you and from the looks of your incomplete post would mostly like do so again when she packs up and leave!????????

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

3 hours ago, henry15 said:

Taking heavy things on a bus. Is not a problem at all. As a regular visitor of buss terminal South, I saw people even brought squat  toilets they bought with them on the buss  to the  the far south.

Much nicer in a comfortable car hire like Jakdd or Liverpool Lou mentioned.

It's really not expensive compared to Western taxis.

Nice guy!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Maybe it was because your post seemed to indicate that it was you undertaking the trip. They were helping you , even though you might have resented such comments as taking the bus. 

Why so touchy?

This is a forum - you know that - most of your posts are either derisory or sarcastic.

If you can't take it - don't dish it out!

And they thought they were helping you

• Like 1

If you flag a cab or even a Grab you are taking pot luck . Not so bad on short in town trips but longer journeys you need to be more attentive cos you do not want a maniac "tour type driver " going flat out causing the passengers much stress . In your case you are looking for a safe and reliable driver who will take care of your g/f as she is travelling alone , to be commended . I made a similar post on this forum about 3 or 4 months ago and was contacted by an American forum member  who recommended a private hire driver to me . He was the owner of a 1 year old " tour type vehicle with fold down seats to the rear that could take any amount of luggage . He was very polite and a very steady/careful driver . Drove from Don Muang to Surin area ( approx 6 hours ) , stopped 3 times for refuelling and rest etc . I have used many taxis on long trips but this guy made me relax and even allowed me to nod off  and I will be using him again next week when I go to Bangkok . Fare was 4500 baht for the 430 km trip.

1 hour ago, Bundooman said:

Maybe it was because your post seemed to indicate that it was you undertaking the trip. They were helping you , even though you might have resented such comments as taking the bus. 

Why so touchy?

This is a forum - you know that - most of your posts are either derisory or sarcastic.

If you can't take it - don't dish it out!

And they thought they were helping you

Thanks for your comment.

What irritates me sometimes if a member asks about A and then he gets answers about B.

If I would have wanted information about any kind of transport, including busses and trains then I would have asked for it.

And when I mention that I don't need a driver with English knowledge then that is what I mean. It does not matter if my Thai is good enough to talk Thai with the driver or my Thai gf talks to the driver.

I appreciate when people answer questions. Answers help me and they help others and that is what the forum is about. But I think it's a good idea to stay on topic. I.e. if someone asks about buying a house then don't tell him to rent an apartment. He asked about buying a house. Same same with taxis, pickups and busses.

36 minutes ago, superal said:

If you flag a cab or even a Grab you are taking pot luck . Not so bad on short in town trips but longer journeys you need to be more attentive cos you do not want a maniac "tour type driver " going flat out causing the passengers much stress . In your case you are looking for a safe and reliable driver who will take care of your g/f as she is travelling alone , to be commended . I made a similar post on this forum about 3 or 4 months ago and was contacted by an American forum member  who recommended a private hire driver to me . He was the owner of a 1 year old " tour type vehicle with fold down seats to the rear that could take any amount of luggage . He was very polite and a very steady/careful driver . Drove from Don Muang to Surin area ( approx 6 hours ) , stopped 3 times for refuelling and rest etc . I have used many taxis on long trips but this guy made me relax and even allowed me to nod off  and I will be using him again next week when I go to Bangkok . Fare was 4500 baht for the 430 km trip.

Thanks! If you don't mind please PM me the details.