Insurance requirements for UK Traveler with underlying conditions

Troy Tempest

Dear All,

My elder brother wishes to visit me on Koh Samui for an extended holiday (maybe up to 90 days) starting in February 2022.

This is not a "Visa" question, but he is planning to enter Visa exempt if still possible and then potentially extending depending on circumstances.

He is a UK citizen and as such I believe he can enter on Visa Exempt for 30 days, but he is in poor health! COPD, High blood pressure, etc.,

My questions are what kind of Health Insurance he might need, from where and for how long if his initial entry is only 30 days,

He can get travel insurance from the UK, but it is expensive and also we wonder if it will be okay for the Thailand Pass?

If you have any ideas they will be greatly appreciated!

I have looked on many websites, but as I am sure you are all aware that it is a "Mine-Field" out there!

Many thanks for any Help you can provide! 

I suggest your brother takes a look at the Post Office travel insurance, they offer cover for pre-existing conditions and policies that cover long stay trips. 

As for 'expensive', his insurance is not expensive to you, unlike an illness he might have while staying with you. 

His insurance is protecting him and you.

Edited by Chomper Higgot
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

I suggest your brother takes a look at the Post Office travel insurance, they offer cover for pre-existing conditions and policies that cover long stay trips. 

As for 'expensive', his insurance is not expensive to you, unlike an illness he might have while staying with you. 

His insurance is protecting him and you.

:thumbsup::wai:

Edited by Troy Tempest

I would suggest your brother gets a quote from All Clear Insurance.  I have a pre-existing condition and with normal Health Insurance, the cost makes it out of the question (even though they exclude anything connected to me pre-existing condition - something I'll never understand) and I just presumed travel insurance would be the same.  For that reason I've been travelling to Thailand 6 to 7 times a year (pre-covid) for the last 6 years, uninsured.

Because of the insurance requirement for a Thailand Pass I contacted a few companies in the UK and got 12 months multi-trip travel insurance for £144.  I declined the cancellation cover which would have cost an extra £40 - £50. I read their policy booklet before confirming the insurance and noted that a lot of matters related to what most of use think of as cancellation, were actually covered by other parts of the policy.  The cancellation clauses seemed to be more aimed at if I cancelled my trip through unforeseen circumstances.

Single trip insurance was, from memory, only £20 - £30 cheaper.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

I would suggest your brother gets a quote from All Clear Insurance.  I have a pre-existing condition and with normal Health Insurance, the cost makes it out of the question (even though they exclude anything connected to me pre-existing condition - something I'll never understand) and I just presumed travel insurance would be the same.  For that reason I've been travelling to Thailand 6 to 7 times a year (pre-covid) for the last 6 years, uninsured.

Because of the insurance requirement for a Thailand Pass I contacted a few companies in the UK and got 12 months multi-trip travel insurance for £144.  I declined the cancellation cover which would have cost an extra £40 - £50. I read their policy booklet before confirming the insurance and noted that a lot of matters related to what most of use think of as cancellation, were actually covered by other parts of the policy.  The cancellation clauses seemed to be more aimed at if I cancelled my trip through unforeseen circumstances.

Single trip insurance was, from memory, only £20 - £30 cheaper.

Great information!....Many thanks...I will tell him.

:thumbsup:

I'm currently looking into this myself as I have high blood pressure and cholesterol levels. All under control with 1 tablet for each. Insureandgo have a policy which will cover you albeit you declare any existing conditions.

Regards

Guemlum

• Thanks 1

On 11/23/2021 at 7:32 PM, Guemlum said:

I'm currently looking into this myself as I have high blood pressure and cholesterol levels. All under control with 1 tablet for each. Insureandgo have a policy which will cover you albeit you declare any existing conditions.

Regards

Guemlum

Thank you so much for your reply!

I am surprised at the otherwise low reponse to my post!

I guess older folks with health conditions are not traveling so much these days....Especially to Thailand under the current circumstances? 

Edited by Troy Tempest