Phuket school infections from family members, not clusters, assures PPHO Deputy

Jonathan Fairfield

1637401300_1-org.jpeg

PPHO Deputy Chief Mueanprae Boonlom making her announcement that Phuket schools are safe. Photo: PR Dept

PHUKET: Mueanprae Boonlom, Deputy Chief of the Phuket Provincial Public Health Office (PPHO), has gone public to assure parents that new COVID infections among staff and children found at Phuket schools since Nov 1 have come from family members, not new clusters at the schools.

“When on-site classes resumed on Nov 1, there were no new infections,” Dr Mueanprae, who previously served as patong Hospital Director and as Acting PPHO Chief before current chief Dr Kusak Kiattikoon arrived, explained in a short video posted online.

“Since school classes resumed, the infections have come from family members. There have been no outbreaks at the schools, which have been enforcing strict measures since the reopening of classes on site,” she said.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-school-infections-from-family-members-not-clusters-assures-ppho-deputy-82102.php

pkt..jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2021-11-21

• Haha 1

So if I understand correctly.... a familymember has Covid and infects a kid. The kid goes to school and doesn't infect anybody anymore. In another class there is happening the same... after a few 50 kids have Covid and all come from home, but non of the students infected people at home... Probably a new research of the University..... It is no option that kids from school infected their familymembers???  

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, sbf said:

Haha these authorities are incredible. My daughter went back to school Monday. On Tuesday afternoon the school closed again. Covid present. On Friday she was unwell in the morning, gave her an ATK test - negative, but she was still unwell late afternoon, so early evening we took her to the local hospital In Phuket. They would not see her, told us to come back Saturday morning.

Saturday morning tested positive on ATK. Told to go to Vachira Hospital for PCR. Did that. This morning they called, she has tested positive. And so this afternoon she is off to the kids quarantine hospital for 10 days. Meanwhile the rest of us have been told to test. Half way through the process and they stopped at 11.40 for lunch. Will complete after lunch and then take daughter to her quarantine at the appointed time. 

She has been nowhere except school and the house for the last 10 days, so I am pretty certain she got it from school. 

Why does she need to go into quarantine hospital for 10 days instead of isolating at home, does she have her own bedroom at home? I'm assuming she is under 12 years? as all those above have now received the vaccine as far as I know

Edited by Bkk Brian
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

PHUKET: Mueanprae Boonlom, Deputy Chief of the Phuket Provincial Public Health Office (PPHO), has gone public to assure parents that new COVID infections among staff and children found at Phuket schools since Nov 1 have come from family members, not new clusters at the schools.

Doesn't matter much where it came from... it should have been detected earlier.

5 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

Why does she need to go into quarantine hospital for 10 days instead of isolating at home, does she have her own bedroom at home? I'm assuming she is under 12 years? as all those above have now received the vaccine as far as I know

This is what the public health officials here have insisted on even though she is less than 12 years old. I am really furious about it as whilst she is a fairly strong independent child this is not something any child should have to go through. She could easily have isolated at home, she has her own bedroom and bathroom. If anything by the time they took her in she was on the improve, with headaches finished and just a bit of a cough. The rest of us have tested negative by ATK today and will get our PCR results tomorrow morning.

Within 5 minutes of leaving her at the quarantine she called in tears because she did not know where the toilet was and needed a pee. Very traumatic experience for the youngster. 

Getting back to the point of the article, all other family members have tested negative, the only place she has been in the last 10 days is home or at school, so perhaps the official needs to put a little more thought and a lot more science  into their statements. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

39 minutes ago, sbf said:

This is what the public health officials here have insisted on even though she is less than 12 years old. I am really furious about it as whilst she is a fairly strong independent child this is not something any child should have to go through. She could easily have isolated at home, she has her own bedroom and bathroom. If anything by the time they took her in she was on the improve, with headaches finished and just a bit of a cough. The rest of us have tested negative by ATK today and will get our PCR results tomorrow morning.

Within 5 minutes of leaving her at the quarantine she called in tears because she did not know where the toilet was and needed a pee. Very traumatic experience for the youngster. 

Getting back to the point of the article, all other family members have tested negative, the only place she has been in the last 10 days is home or at school, so perhaps the official needs to put a little more thought and a lot more science  into their statements. 

That was my concern, I'm very sorry to hear that, it must be a horrible ordeal for her to go through and it shows they've not even given her basic information as to where the toilets are.

I've also got a daughter going to school here in Phuket although she's 13 and has been vaccinated so less chance of getting infected although still possible of course. I was under the impression that it was ok to isolate at home if positive so long as the accommodation was suitable, obviously not then. My thoughts are with you, good luck.

• Like 1