It Is A Very Small World

corkscrew

Yesterday I was at a car wash on the west side of the Chao Phraya and I bumped into another farang who was also getting a car wash. Back in farangland he used to live just minutes by car from where I used to live.

This has happened to me several times.

How about you?

this always seems to happen to the english people i know. i have never met anyone here from home, but americans aren't as likely to travel all the way around the world.

I was once in a restaurant in Peking and this girl kept looking at me. Hmm, ok I thought. Then she came up to me and said 'I know your brother'. Seems that my features were so similar to my brother that she guessed correct. (ie - we were both either hugely handsome or both butt-ugly...)

Simon

this always seems to happen to the english people i know. i have never met anyone here from home, but americans aren't as likely to travel all the way around the world.

Agree. Many of my British friends seem to meet people they already know.

Also agree about the Americans (of course, not all). Although, they seem to think rest of the world know each other.

You from Germany? Oh, you know Wilhelm Muller?

:o

About ten years ago I was living in the UK in the midlands with my Thai wife. She got a message from her cousin who, unbeknown to her, had also married an englishman a few years before and was also living in the midlands. When we visited them her husband was an old friend of mine from the 1960's. We had both grown up in Essex and first met when we played football together in the same team. We lost contact with each other when we both married for the first time and moved away from Essex. What we didn't realise was that we had both moved to the midlands, had a family, got divorced, then met and married girls from Thailand , and those girls turned out to be cousins. Now thats a small world.

About ten years ago I was living in the UK in the midlands with my Thai wife. She got a message from her cousin who, unbeknown to her, had also married an englishman a few years before and was also living in the midlands. When we visited them her husband was an old friend of mine from the 1960's. We had both grown up in Essex and first met when we played football together in the same team. We lost contact with each other when we both married for the first time and moved away from Essex. What we didn't realise was that we had both moved to the midlands, had a family, got divorced, then met and married girls from Thailand , and those girls turned out to be cousins. Now thats a small world.

That is a SUPER small world!

I had a double whammy once, was getting off a baht bus whislt on holiday in Pattaya and heard someone call my name from the side of the road. Not only was it a guy who I had served with on my first military draft and not seen for many years, but when we talked it turned out we were both instructors in the same military college.

I now live in BKK and he has a house in Chonburi. Small world indeed.

nine ten years ago, at the Irish Pub in Yangon, Thanks God It's Friday event, a German guy is stading next to me...turns out he was living just opposite of my student's fraternity and attended our parties. So we must have been attending those exactly same parties without even bumping into each other back in Bonn.

Business Function last year in Bangkok, I give my namecard to some lady ...and she said I knew someone of your name back in school. Yes, she was in my sister's class!

Had several more like that...it IS a small world!

During the time when I lived at Lake Toba, Sumatera, I met

1.a pretty young lass who lived next door to my uncle in Wales.

2. a chap who lived in the next street to me when I lived in Great Yarmouth.

3 the brother of a chap from whom i had bought a house in Suffolk.

4.another expat who lived there and he had bought a set of Victorian door finger plates from me about three years before.....later....i moved away from Toba.....then went back to the UK for a visit....and parked my car next to the same chap at a car boot sale in Norwich...............we were both gobsmacked!!!

the world is shrinking!!!!!

I saw a girl in Bangkok, who used to work in the local cafe back near my home in farangland. She was backpacking around Thailand and said tourists were constantly coming up to her in Thailand and saying she had served them back at the cafe. Most of the time she couldn't remember them (although they could her), since she served hundreds of people a week there.

I have met one other farang (gay and also from Denver) that I had met back in the US .... not that big of a deal ... but it reminded me that just because I have known someone ... there isn't always a lot in common :o

A few months back we had a farang visitor to the town that looked strangely familiar to me, it took a couple of nights for one of us to say the usual "have we met before?" .... it turned out that we both worked for the same company but in different regions, we had crossed paths several times in the past.

It's a small world.

Since then there have been around a couple of dozen transient visitors that I have never seen before in my life.

It's actually quite a large world :o

I used to live in Spain, one day last year i got a visit from sombody living on the same estate as I did in Spain, we only knew each other in passing, they had just bought a house here in Pattaya just down the road from us :o:D .

But even more funny/strange, about 3 weeks ago via an internet portal for people working in the same field as i used to, i was lucky to rekindle a contact with an old college that i worked with for a short period more than 20 years ago, we got talking and he asked me where i lived, I told him here in Pattaya, and dont you know, it turns out he has a house near Rayong.

My home country has 5 mill. people in it so what is the odds off such a coincedence :D:D .

Kind regards :D

way back when, i went to college in iowa witha very large thai student population; a very good friend of mine luk kung up and eloped with some wierd guy and never saw her again.......until about 18 yrs ago on a trip to america with (first, now ex) husband, sitting in a off broadway show (which we went to as absolute tourists to new york), i hear a voice that is very very familiar> i turn around, and there she is with a new husband, but otherwise the same old T. , but lost contact after.

with israelis its the scourge of being a kibbutznik; wherever we go we run into someone who has been with u in the army, at work, bla bla bla.... or knows someone u know: cant commit adultery w/o someone somewhere knowing about it........

last year a thai worker friend of mine going back to thailand thru don muang ran into a thai woman (ex) friend of mine on way back to israel from home visit(she owes me 1000 shekels still) who saw him, and did a quck disappear into the ladies room......

My Mates blonde GF got stopped for speeding in Essex, the blonde lady police officer asked her for pic ID, she searched around in her handbag and pulled out a mirror, she said thats me!! Police officer looked at it and said, Oh, i see you are a police officer too, ok, off you go,

Is this a coincidence in a small world?

I was surprised to learn that I attended MIT at the same time as HRH. Ubolratana Manidol. I probably never met her though. She graduated in mathematics and I graduated in electrical engineering so we were in different departments. There were 4,000 undergraduates at the time. She was a senior when I was a freshman.

I was also surprised to learn that Mr. Phra Bisal Sukhumvit also attended MIT. He graduated in 1923 so I didn't know him because I hadn't been born yet. He ran the department of transportation in Thailand when Sukhumvit Road was being completed and the road was named after him

-q

Yesterday I was at a car wash on the west side of the Chao Phraya and I bumped into another farang who was also getting a car wash. Back in farangland he used to live just minutes by car from where I used to live.

This has happened to me several times.

How about you?

----------------------------

Well last year I ran into a friend from out dart league in San Diego while waiting line to board our flight back to the US.

Needless to say we had quite a party in one of the airport bars :o

Last December i went into the Kilkenny Irish bar Walking street Pattaya .Sat down and ordered a Guinness .I noticed the guy beside me was also drinking Guinness ,so struck up conversation .Seems he came from Offaly ,which is about 100 miles away from me in Ireland .Small world ;-)

In Pattaya I ran into a contrctor that I used for a project at work. He was in the lobby of the hotel I was staying at.

I was totally shocked! especially us being both americans who never travel and do know know anything about the rest of the world. :o .

PKG

"Its a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it". Stephen Wright. :D

running a bar here in samui i have met many people i know from back home ,in uk i was a barber so knew a lot of people :o

"Its a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it". Stephen Wright. :D

running a bar here in samui i have met many people i know from back home ,in uk i was a barber so knew a lot of people :o

"Where you going for your holidays, mate?" :D

about 3 weeks ago via an internet portal for people working in the same field as i used to, i was lucky to rekindle a contact with an old college that i worked with for a short period more than 20 years ago, we got talking and he asked me where i lived, I told him here in Pattaya, and dont you know, it turns out he has a house near Rayong.

My home country has 5 mill. people in it so what is the odds off such a coincedence :o:D .

Kind regards :D

Yip that's really strange.... two people working in the same field crossing paths again, the chances are infinitesimal, how many others out of that same field have you not seen, nor ever likely to?

Out of a country of 5 mil you probably knew less than 1% of the population, those people that you do know will have similar interests, similar education, similar needs (for want of a better description)

The chances of running into someone you have met before are actually quite high, irrespective of where you happen to be.

A few months back we had a farang visitor to the town that looked strangely familiar to me, it took a couple of nights for one of us to say the usual "have we met before?" .... it turned out that we both worked for the same company but in different regions, we had crossed paths several times in the past.

I bet you say that to all the girls, Thaddy. :o

Hey, Larvid, I know a girl named Jane from Wales -- you know her?