Foreign Passport Renewal & Bank

Hi, all I am about send my foreign passport that is about to expire for renewal. After I receive my new one, does anyone know what the normal procedure is to get the Bangkok Bank details updated with the new passport details to ensure everything is matching? Is it as straight forward as going to the local branch (EmQuartier in Bangkok) and showing my new and old passports so they can update?

Also should I do this prior to transferring my re-entry permit and entry of stay into the new passport at the IO? Just trying to figure out logistics of the whole process in renewing my passport and transferring visas etc. to try and ensure as a few things can go wrong as possible.

Thanks,

2 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

You should update at the bank (I have never done so).

Also the Land Transport Office........... your DL has your passport number on it.

Some of us don't have to update passport at there bank, I didn't and never a problem.

No need to update the DL either.

• Like 2

I assume your country gives new passport numbers with new passports.

I would suggest the cleanest timing would be to get the new passport, get your visa info transferred to it at immigration, then go to your bank. I'm not sure if Bangkok Bank will do that at any branch or require you to go to your home branch where you opened the account. I did this with them at my home branch. Its relatively painless.

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

You do if its a new number!

You don't have a Yellow house book of residence like many do I guess so when you renew your DL's you have the Thai ID number they give you in your Yellow book put on your DL's not your passport number. 

I accept this may not be the case in all DLT's in provinces of Thailand. 

Albeit a few years ago but when I went into my Bangkok bank to do a transaction and handed over my passport as usual, after a couple of minutes the assistant returned to me saying my passport was not the same as on their records and therefore could not proceed which she then immediately followed with her asking me if I wanted her to sort for me, which took her just a couple of minutes and she followed up by saying that if went into the bank with any problems the first thing they would ask for would be my passport and if it wasn’t the same as their records they wouldn’t be able to sort my problem. 

21 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

You don't have a Yellow house book of residence like many do I guess so when you renew your DL's you have the Thai ID number they give you in your Yellow book put on your DL's not your passport number. 

I accept this may not be the case in all DLT's in provinces of Thailand. 

You really should have clarified that before. Obviously if you're not using your passport number it doesn't matter. It's fair to.assume the OP is using his passport number in which case it most certainly does matter when the number changes.

• Like 1

I took my new and old passports to the Bangkok bank and they said no problems , will just use your new passport when anything needed.

Driving license people said they will change the passport number in 4 years when I renew my license.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

You really should have clarified that before. Obviously if you're not using your passport number it doesn't matter. It's fair to.assume the OP is using his passport number in which case it most certainly does matter when the number changes.

OK sir I will cut my throat and bleed to death. ????

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, poppysdad said:

Albeit a few years ago but when I went into my Bangkok bank to do a transaction and handed over my passport as usual, after a couple of minutes the assistant returned to me saying my passport was not the same as on their records and therefore could not proceed which she then immediately followed with her asking me if I wanted her to sort for me, which took her just a couple of minutes and she followed up by saying that if went into the bank with any problems the first thing they would ask for would be my passport and if it wasn’t the same as their records they wouldn’t be able to sort my problem. 

That may happen of you don't live here in Thailand and you came to Thailand after renewing in your own country then Thai IO would not of stamp the previous passport number.

If you stay in Thailand and renew your passport IO put the old passport number in the new passport if the bank you use don't know that the bank assistant is thick as a plank tell them to look at the IO stamp.

The procedure is to visit home BBL location with both and they will make copies and fill out forms to sign.   Maybe 20 minutes.  And yes it needs to be done if you want to make over the counter transactions as expired passport is not valid.  If same number expect no one would notice but when different they indeed do and believe will have to be done before new Passbook/ATM cards are issued. 

Just now, lopburi3 said:

The procedure is to visit home BBL location with both and they will make copies and fill out forms to sign

Once again , it depends on the BBL . Mine never bothered , as Kwasaki said , your old passport number is in your new passport.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

The procedure is to visit home BBL location with both and they will make copies and fill out forms to sign.   Maybe 20 minutes.  And yes it needs to be done if you want to make over the counter transactions as expired passport is not valid.  If same number expect no one would notice but when different they indeed do and believe will have to be done before new Passbook/ATM cards are issued. 

Nonsense. 

53 minutes ago, NE1 said:

I took my new and old passports to the Bangkok bank and they said no problems , will just use your new passport when anything needed.

Driving license people said they will change the passport number in 4 years when I renew my license.

That's weird. I have accounts at three Thai banks. All of them required a paperwork process because of the new number. Of course I could have waited until I had any business at the bank requiring id. I suspect that's what they meant. There is no rush to do it before you actually need to show them the new passport.

Edited by Jingthing

30 minutes ago, Upnotover said:

This is one of those things that only needs to be done only when it is actually needed.  In other words no necessity to make a special trip to the bank or DLT for it unless you happen to like those trips.  Renewing a driving license in particular will not be any issue with a new passport.

Yes you're right..You can indeed wait until you need to show your passport to the bank. That could be years if you have no business there for years. There is no penalty for waiting.

On the other hand there's nothing wrong with getting it over with either.

Edited by Jingthing

59 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

OK sir I will cut my throat and bleed to death. ????

Do as you like but I guess it depends if you're here to.help or here to play silly games and expect people to read your mind that you use a Thai id number for your ids.

Perhaps another instance of the yellow book having expats superiority dance.

Edited by Jingthing

10 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

That's weird. I have accounts at three Thai banks. All of them required a paperwork process because of the new number.

They are like Immigration , different ways of doing things in different regions.

I have had dealings with my bank since the new passport. 

They just photocopied my old and new passport and that was it.

1 minute ago, NE1 said:

They are like Immigration , different ways of doing things in different regions.

I have had dealings with my bank since the new passport. 

They just photocopied my old and new passport and that was it.

That was a process. I never said it was difficult.

Edited by Jingthing

49 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

That may happen of you don't live here in Thailand and you came to Thailand after renewing in your own country then Thai IO would not of stamp the previous passport number.

If you stay in Thailand and renew your passport IO put the old passport number in the new passport if the bank you use don't know that the bank assistant is thick as a plank tell them to look at the IO stamp.

You use a Thai ID at the bank or at least you said you do. Thus your advise to people that use passport numbers lacks credibility.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, NE1 said:

But not like filling forms in as previously posted by a couple of people.

Like I said , different regions , different ways of doing things.

I never filled a form. But the change needed to be officialized by all three of my Thai banks.

• Haha 1

Enough already.

If you get a new passport number there will be some kind of process to record that the next time you present your passport at the bank for some kind of bank business. You can wait until that time if you like.

To add, as we're in a pandemic, it makes sense to NOT make a special visit to update your passport number until you need to go to the bank for other business requiring ID.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Do as you like but I guess it depends if you're here to.help or here to play silly games and expect people to read your mind that you use a Thai id number for your ids.

Perhaps another instance of the yellow book having expats superiority dance.

With respect I just state how it has been for me living in Sukhothai province for 16 years.

If you wish to ridicule me what I post and to what has happen to me living in my province and what I have experienced over those years, as they say here "up to you". 

• Sad 1