Above Ground Water Tank Base

grin

We are about to install a new above ground water tank due to endless problems with our below ground tank. I had expected to have a concrete base poured but my wife just received a picture from a friend of what looks like plastic shipping pallets that are supposedly used as bases for water tanks. I have never seen such a thing so was wondering if anyone has had experience with such a base. The size is 120 cm square. If these bases make sense would shops that sell tanks have them? Any idea on price? I have searched to no avail.

Water-Tank-Base.jpg

Edited by grin
Grammar

Although it looks cleaner and easier than a poured concrete pad, I doubt that a plastic pallet is weight-rated for a full (say) 2000 liter water tank. Also consider that most plastics get brittle and fail after extended exposure to heat and uv light. However, since Thailand is renowned to be on the cutting-edge when it come to adapting stuff to fit, I will defer judgement until others with actual experience contribute.

• Like 1

In addition to the issues of strength & lifespan, the plastic pallet looks like a great places for scorpions, centipedes and others critters to make a home.

A concrete pad is the best option, though most any smooth compacted surface will work.

I have even used concrete block on a gravel base for a temporary installation.

In the end, the budget,  location and predictated lifespan of the installation will help determine your base.  Make sure to compact the sub-base with water and a compacting tool prior to adding the final surface.

For the sub-base gravel with fines is good, but not sand as sand does not compact

Cheers

Edited by SimpleMan555
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, grin said:

due to endless problems with our below ground tank

Can you give examples of these problems, please? :wai:

I have an underground tank and would like to be prepared for, or prevent, any future problems.

Depending on the substrate your requirements vary. In our area with a heavy clay soil all we have done is level the area put down  a layer of sand then a layer of the cheap blocks on their sides the tanks are in an area which doesn’t get direct rain on it. Total time in use about 16 years, currently we have 3 tanks of 7,500 litres rigidly linked with blue pipe, these have been in place for 5 years.

No cement pad used or needed.

• Like 2

The terminology you used (above ground) to described your proposed tank installation,

should actually be "on ground". The term "above ground" generally defines an elevated tower installation.

I personally, would not recommend using the plastic pallets in the picture for an on ground tank installation. There is always a risk the pallet may fail.           

Water weighs 1 kg per liter and any tank falling over would probably rupture the tank, destroy the piping and possibly more, plus the inconvenience. 

Sure these pallets are strong enough , they are made for carrying something . Besides maybe a better look , and fast ready , i wouldn't know why you should use one. A couple of stones , a bit of cement ,sand, stones and a bit of sweat and you have a nice concrete base . Both options are possible , the concrete base is cheaper , the plastic version is faster ... that is about as much difference there is .

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tweedledee2 said:

The terminology you used (above ground) to described your proposed tank installation,

should actually be "on ground". The term "above ground" generally defines an elevated tower installation.

I personally, would not recommend using the plastic pallets in the picture for an on ground tank installation. There is always a risk the pallet may fail.           

Water weighs 1 kg per liter and any tank falling over would probably rupture the tank, destroy the piping and possibly more, plus the inconvenience. 

Humm. Physics 101.
Yes I agree there is a tiny tiny remote chance the pallet may fail.

Yes Water weighs 1 kg per liter..

Yes a tank falling over would rupture the pipes

NONE of those facts are relevant as it’s impossible for the tank to fall over if on the ground, or in the air by a pallet failure. If in the air the failure would have to be in the tower design.

A single standard  pallet is designed to carry 2,000 kg,

you almost certainly need more than 1 for the base area, 

the plastic is UV  resistant and there is very little UV exposure 

Using the pallets as a base will raise the tank base 165mm, 

you have to have a unique failure mode (basically impossible) to drop one side of the tank 165mm, to tip over a tank you need to drop/lift at least 5 times (probably more like 10 times that) 

On 11/23/2021 at 10:52 AM, NanLaew said:

I doubt that a plastic pallet is weight-rated for a full (say) 2000 liter water tank.

Actually that (2,000kg) is the design strength and since several would be needed for the area you are well under the design strength.

• Like 1