Visa extension with less than 6 months on passport.

Been there ,done that, twice.

First time the extension was given to end date of passport and then transferred to new passport with extension extended to full 12months without any cost.

Second time extension given to end date but a whole new application was needed for new passport for a further 12 months at standard cost. 

The only negative was it changed the previous more covenient date of further annual extension renewals .

• Like 2

On 11/24/2021 at 9:00 AM, ubonjoe said:

I think you mean a extension of stay since a visa cannot be extended.

There is no 6 month requirement for extensions.

If a extension is longer than your passport validity it will only be issued to the day your passport expires.

In that case, what will happen when you later go to immigration with a new passport ?

Will you get an extension for the remaining months or will you get a one year extension, therefore with a new anniversary date for the extensions?

Thanks

1 hour ago, daejung said:

In that case, what will happen when you later go to immigration with a new passport ?

Will you get an extension for the remaining months or will you get a one year extension, therefore with a new anniversary date for the extensions?

If you apply for a extension that is longer than the validity of your passport the extension will only be issued to the day your passport expires. When you get a new passport you will have to apply for a new extension of stay near to the end of your shortened extension.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/25/2021 at 2:14 PM, ubonjoe said:

When you get a new passport you will have to apply for a new extension of stay near to the end of your shortened extension.

Thanks (with delay). Not sure to understand (not native english speaker), Do you mean, the aniversary date will be the same as before then? or will I get a full one year extension on the new passport with a different anniversary date then?

Just did mine today in CNX!!! my PP exps march 2022--so in 3 months!..

Got the ext with NO issues and then went and sent my PP to BKK to order a new one

as was told it takes about 3 weeks......went to US embassy today to confirm the procedure

So yep u can do it as i was in same boat....shout out to Ubon Joe for the King of Info!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

Got the ext with NO issues and then went and sent my PP to BKK to order a new one

Just to clarify....so the extension that you just obtained expires on the date that your pp expires.

When you obtain new pp your extension will still be valid to only March 2022

• Like 1

23 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Just to clarify....so the extension that you just obtained expires on the date that your pp expires.

When you obtain new pp your extension will still be valid to only March 2022

Entered LOS Nov 19...USA PP visa exempt--just got extension until Jan 20 2022...after getting that stamp I went to post office and sent PP to BKK for a NEW PP as my one in the mail exps March 22 2022....

Heard it takes 3 weeks so hoping for new PP and old one back with letter to transfer the "stamp"

Now just to figure out my next move to stay longer...will borders open--rumors of Laos--Nong khai

3 minutes ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

Now just to figure out my next move to stay longer...will borders open--rumors of Laos--Nong khai

Only one person's opinion...

I think that's a wet dream and the reentry requirements will not be straightforward.

People can laugh at me Jan 25.

That's fine....imo covid extensions will continue well into 2022.

Read up on covid situation world news. Not nice. 

On 12/17/2021 at 9:23 PM, Sticky Rice Balls said:

You can get a 60 day covid 19 extension in January before your extension expires. The current order allows them to be issued until January 25th.

Normal time to get a US passport is about 2 weeks.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You can get a 60 day covid 19 extension in January before your extension expires. The current order allows them to be issued until January 25th.

Normal time to get a US passport is about 2 weeks.

Ubon Joe saves the day again----Kop khun krup!

So would I just got to CNX immig before Jan 20th and just say I need a covid ext??..(newbie on this)

8 hours ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

So would I just got to CNX immig before Jan 20th and just say I need a covid ext??..(newbie on this)

The first step will be to have your stamps transferred to your new passport.

You will need TM7 extension application form, copy of your passport photo page, copies of the transferred stamps in your new passport and TM6 departure card.

And this affidavit completed. 60 Day Covid 19 Extension Affidavit.pdf229.8 kB · 845 downloads

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

The first step will be to have your stamps transferred to your new passport.

You will need TM7 extension application form, copy of your passport photo page, copies of the transferred stamps in your new passport and TM6 departure card.

And this affidavit completed. 60 Day Covid 19 Extension Affidavit.pdf229.8 kB · 845 downloads

Thanks once again! Waiting on the return of my New and Old PPs and then the transfer parts to new one.....thanks for the link as well for the covid ext.....