Windshield Washer Fluid

Yellowtail

Some guys like washer fluid, some don't. I do like it, and that's enough of a reason for me to use it. That said, there does not seem to be much of a selection available here. I tried a concentrate from Lazada which seemed like food-coloring, and something from the carwash that was better, but not great. I have also mixed my own, which works okay but I would like something better.

Is there a washer fluid you like that is readily available here? I already know about water, and while hilarious, I was hoping for something a little more robust. 

• Haha 1

Normally it is Isopropanol with water + a drop of dishwasher liquid . The amount of isoprop vs water is depending on the freezing temp , but since that is not a problem in Thailand i would do like 10-20% isoprop and top up the rest with water and the drop of dishwasher liquid .

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, johng said:

I suppose I'm a dinosaur  but not dishwashing machine tablets or liquid  I suppose  they would work too but  more expensive..never had a dishwashing machine and never will.

I hadn't realized they are dishwasher tablets but it seems likely.

Back in the day we used to put the solid sticks onto the wiper arm attachment.

• Confused 1

No. Muppet. Special sticks of windscreen/windshield wiper detergent that fitted into a widget clipped to the wiper arm. When it rained the detergent dripped onto the screen.

Sorry it is pre-digital so haven't yet found an image

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, johng said:

I just use "washing up liquid"    not "fairy" though as it's expensive ????

I tried half window cleaner and half water.

Works ok.

I have to have windshield cleaner as its so damn dusty here in Issan.

2 hours ago, Moonlover said:

In Germany we used to use duty free vodka, it was cheaper screen wash. You could try lao khao as a substitute.

You could do , but it is certainly much worse for rubber then isoprop . Add not more then 10% in the water if you want to use it . The alcohol based ( isoprop or if you want to use ethanol (lao khao)) does work much better then water alone , since the degreasing properties . Add a drop of diswashing liquid for the smell and enhance the degreasing effect without the foam ( the alcohol takes care of that ) .

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Yellowtail said:

Have you actually used it? 

I use the equivalent purchased from Mr DIY. Cheaper and it does the business. The idea of the 'double' bottle is that you don't add too much blue stuff and cause more problems than just a dirty windscreen.

My experience from decades ago is that regular detergent soaps, washing up liquid, etc., can leave residue and cause streaking.

Adding isopropyl-alcohol or vinegar and other home-remedies in imprecise amounts may cause issues with the plastics and composites of washer systems and the wiper blades.

YMMV

TiT

• Like 1

What I use is this combined with water. 5 Liters cost approx 1xx THB at Makro

Edit: NO ill effects on the Wiper Blades (still good after 2,5 years of use)

aro.thumb.JPG.f6ee50b065200a9381971fe8b7a723fe.JPG

Edited by MJCM
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, NanLaew said:

I use the equivalent purchased from Mr DIY. Cheaper and it does the business. The idea of the 'double' bottle is that you don't add too much blue stuff and cause more problems than just a dirty windscreen.

My experience from decades ago is that regular detergent soaps, washing up liquid, etc., can leave residue and cause streaking.

Adding isopropyl-alcohol or vinegar and other home-remedies in imprecise amounts may cause issues with the plastics and composites of washer systems and the wiper blades.

YMMV

TiT

Isoprop is not a home remedy , that is the real stuff . Windshield liquid is nothing more as what i said , isoprop + water + a drop of dishwash liquid . The amount of isoprop vs water is making the freezing point of the wiper fluid . That is why you see winter and summer liquids . Also some summer liquids have special detergent to take care of insects better then the standard dishwash liquid .

Vinegar and ethanol or ammonia would all work also , but they are home remedies and can certainly give issues to plastics ( rubber parts ) . This is the home remedies , and better take care not to mix too much of them inside .