What are the implications resulting from entering Thailand using an APEC card?

Having just received my first APEC card, it struck me that if I use it at arriving immigration, they might expect me to have a non-B visa, whereas I will be entering either visa-exempt or with a tourist visa. More generally are there any other consequences of entering using the card that one should be aware of? 

Thanks!

• Confused 1

Unless you are on a business trip with an itinerary and letters of invitation from local organizations you will be given pfft.  I had APEC for a while. Easy for US citizens to get and pretty much worthless.

The IO around the world are hip to any dodgy uses of it. I think I cut the customs line in MNL once they still were not impressed.

Japan airports have signs "APEC Cannot use unless on Official Business"

Edited by Captain Monday

7 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Why?

Was that some time ago when entries using a APEC card was not allowed.

A while back before I had the Elite Visa even, I had a APEC card but was denied more than 30 days visa exempt because I did not have an itinerary. Tried at HKT and BKK 

Honestly I was always on personal travel with no meetings scheduled  or anything. Just a commuting pilot. 

**Any US citizen who had Global Entry could get the APEC card just by clicking a box. No proof of "international businessman" was required,

Edited by Captain Monday

9 hours ago, Captain Monday said:

Respectfully disagree. I tried and was denied. 

US and Canada aren’t full participants in the APEC travel card programme. As such APEC card holders from these counties don’t get the additional days other nationalities do, only they right to use the express queue.

Edited by kiwiaussie
  • Like 2

Ubonjoe has given accurate info on here.

From personal experience I have had no problems using the card in any of the APEC countries I have travelled to and have used fast track immigration in all of them.  In Thailand I have found it to be very useful with no problems raised or given by Immigration on entry or exit.  The only time I have been given less than 90 days on arrival without any other visa was when the guy applied the wrong stamp.  I returned, asked politely and he rectified his error with a smile.

It is difficult to say what is happening in the poster's case as he does not say which country issued the card or what processes he went through.  Mine was issued by an APEC economy but the approval process can take up to 4 months as the issuing Immigration Dept gets pre approved clearance for visa free entry in each of the participating economies.  This takes time for each one.

I do know that on arrival in USA an APEC card allows the holder to use a special channel to speed up entry to the country.

I would suggest that the poster looks at the back of his card to check which countries it is valid for travel to; I think mine covers all but USA and CAN are not covered.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

On 11/28/2021 at 9:37 AM, FARANG KIWI said:

If you stay for the full 90 days........

Once a year is OK..... any more and they will pull you aside and tell you to get the appropriate and correct Visa!

Happened to me.

I used an APEC card to come and go from Thailand for a decade without issue. We were doing business but often came in 8 or 9 times a year. My business partner would travel continuously throughout APEC and she would enter, prior to COVID, 20 or 30 times a year sometimes. It worked much the same everywhere and the only place it was ever questioned was the USA.