Study: Cambodia is one of safest countries in SEA

geovalin

Foreign investors have little to fear if they want to do business in the Kingdom. A study conducted by Gallup, one of the leading analytics company in the world, found that Cambodia is one of the safest countries in Southeast Asia.

The 2021 Global and Order Report ranked the Kingdom as the third safest country in the region, after Indonesia (1st) and the Philippines (2nd). Vietnam obtained the same score (83) as Cambodia. The report was released last  week. Cambodia’s position has improved significantly in the last two years. Cambodia was ranked seventh out of nine Asean countries in the 2019 edition of the report.

Malaysia was ranked fourth, followed by Myanmar and Laos. Thailand was ranked as the ‘most dangerous’ country in Southeast Asia. Singapore and Brunei were not included in the report. Countries in Europe dominated the top ten spots.

read more https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50978852/study-cambodia-is-one-of-safest-countries-in-sea/

dreamstime_m_46542038.jpg.a7fd9b2cbfcca43f0a09e2bf2a237a2b.jpg

"Cambodia is one of the safest countries in Southeast Asia."

If that's true, heaven help the rest of Southeast Asia.

As reported here, it appears that violence is increasing in Sihanoukville, or you can look up: "Cambodia gang violence".

https://theaseanpost.com/article/china-crime-plaguing-cambodia

Cambodia is extremely unsafe. There are worse places, but it is pretty bad as anyone living there and its nationals all know.

And its police are both corrupt and useless.

Ridiculous article.

I love Cambodia, but it cannot be described as safe. Considerable vigilence and precautions are needed while there....or a type not needed in Thailand, for example. I have special money belts etc I keep solely for when I am in Cambodia since walking around with a handbag just is not safe. At best the bag will just be snatched, at worst they'll shoot first then take it.

It is possible to stay safe there most of the time, but only with precautions. I would not describe it as a place one should not go, but one does have to be very careful; and articles like this can be dangerously misleading in that regard.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

I love Cambodia, but it cannot be described as safe. Considerable vigilence and precautions are needed while there....or a type not needed in Thailand, for example. I have special money belts etc I keep solely for when I am in Cambodia since walking around with a handbag just is not safe. At best the bag will just be snatched, at worst they'll shoot first then take it.

Don't hold your phone while standing near a road either.

A passing m/c will try and snatch it.

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Don't hold your phone while standing near a road either.

A passing m/c will try and snatch it.

Yup. Almost 10 years ago it happened to me on St. 154. However, I (deliberately) had a strong grip on the phone and was able to thwart the grab-and-go. I was on a bit of an emergency call and not enough time to pull away from the sidewalk. They were fast to spot me and my phone. Those were the Nokia days.

But yeah, Cambodia safer than Thailand? What utter trash. 

Edited by Kaoboi Bebobp
More details
  • Like 1

What strange comments! During the past 16 years, prior to the Covid-19 outbreak, I've visited Cambodia on numerous occasions to take photos in the streets and alleys of Phnom Penh, and in the many ancient temples in various locations surrounding Siem Reap. I usually travel with the latest Canon or Nikon DSLR camera around my neck. 

I've never experienced anyone try to grab the camera, even though all the cameras I carried were more expensive than any iPhone.

23 hours ago, VincentRJ said:

What strange comments! During the past 16 years, prior to the Covid-19 outbreak, I've visited Cambodia on numerous occasions to take photos in the streets and alleys of Phnom Penh, and in the many ancient temples in various locations surrounding Siem Reap. I usually travel with the latest Canon or Nikon DSLR camera around my neck. 

I've never experienced anyone try to grab the camera, even though all the cameras I carried were more expensive than any iPhone.

Never yet

You have simply been lucky. Keep it up and sooner or later your luck will run out.

Those posting here are, for the most part, people who live or have lived in Cambodia for extended periods.  We know whereof we speak. If you don't believe us, ask any Cambodian.

• Like 1

On 11/29/2021 at 2:22 PM, BritManToo said:

Same happened to me, the two guys almost fell off their m/c.

My favorite Cambian moto thief story happened on the corner of Sihanouk Blvd and St 51, a busy intersection, in broad daylight.

As always I had my money and phone all securely tucked into bra/pockets. I had my (late, beloved and lamented) Chihuahua on a leash. Got to the corner and as traffic was heavy and freaks him out, I picked him up in my arms before heading across. Had the strap of the leash between my fingers, arms wrapped close to my chest to hold the dog.

A moto with 2 guys on it went by, stared at me and immediately did a u turn back coming right up against me , guy  reached out for the strap...

But instead the expected purse came face to face with a snarling dog, teeth snapping.

They were out of there in a flash.   ????

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Never yet

You have simply been lucky. Keep it up and sooner or later your luck will run out.

Those posting here are, for the most part, people who live or have lived in Cambodia for extended periods.  We know whereof we speak. If you don't believe us, ask any Cambodian.

Maybe it's you have simply been unlucky. ????

I can understand that those who walk around whilst gazing at their iPhone, unaware of what's happening in their immediate vicinity, might be more vulnerable to snatch and grab theft.

To quote from the article:

"Expats, especially foreign businessmen, generally agree that Cambodia is a safe place for them."
“I have been living in Cambodia for more than five years. And I feel safe enough. This is my experience. I’ve never had any problems with police or local authorities. And yes, my phone was stolen twice. Nothing else,” Russian businessman Sergey Sidenko said."

3 hours ago, VincentRJ said:

Maybe it's you have simply been unlucky. ????

I can understand that those who walk around whilst gazing at their iPhone, unaware of what's happening in their immediate vicinity, might be more vulnerable to snatch and grab theft.

To quote from the article:

"Expats, especially foreign businessmen, generally agree that Cambodia is a safe place for them."
“I have been living in Cambodia for more than five years. And I feel safe enough. This is my experience. I’ve never had any problems with police or local authorities. And yes, my phone was stolen twice. Nothing else,” Russian businessman Sergey Sidenko said."

Seriously? I've never had a phone stolen in Thailand. But I've had two attempts in Phnom Penh. And here's a Russian who has had TWO phones stolen. You see this as safe? Good bloody grief. Businessmen are often in a taxi or hired car with a driver (sometimes an off-duty cop). So yeah, the foreigners might see things as safe. The overall story is total BS.

I plugged in the search words "bag snatch" in the Cambodia Expats Online forum. I got 35 pages of results. As Sheryl said, you got lucky, very lucky. Tons of stories on the Phnom Penh expat pages on FB, which I've been reading for years. Almost seems like everyone has a story of having had their bag or phone snatched while in a tuktuk or walking on the street or at outdoor table. The road from the airport is the worst snatch and run route. Plus, many people have had their apartments broken into, with phone, laptops, passports stolen.

A good friend of mine, who's lived in Phnom Penh for many years but is back in England now, had a gun pulled on her and was robbed of her bag on, I believe, Sihanouk Blvd. around St. 51  or on Mao Tse Tung. 

Then there are the Riverside pickpockets and Filipino scam artists. 

Edited by Kaoboi Bebobp
More details

7 hours ago, Kaoboi Bebobp said:

Seriously? I've never had a phone stolen in Thailand. But I've had two attempts in Phnom Penh. And here's a Russian who has had TWO phones stolen. You see this as safe? Good bloody grief. Businessmen are often in a taxi or hired car with a driver (sometimes an off-duty cop). So yeah, the foreigners might see things as safe. The overall story is total BS.

I plugged in the search words "bag snatch" in the Cambodia Expats Online forum. I got 35 pages of results. As Sheryl said, you got lucky, very lucky. Tons of stories on the Phnom Penh expat pages on FB, which I've been reading for years. Almost seems like everyone has a story of having had their bag or phone snatched while in a tuktuk or walking on the street or at outdoor table. The road from the airport is the worst snatch and run route. Plus, many people have had their apartments broken into, with phone, laptops, passports stolen.

A good friend of mine, who's lived in Phnom Penh for many years but is back in England now, had a gun pulled on her and was robbed of her bag on, I believe, Sihanouk Blvd. around St. 51  or on Mao Tse Tung. 

Then there are the Riverside pickpockets and Filipino scam artists. 

I guess I must just look too strong and fearsome for anyone to attempt to rob me. ????

Whilst in total, I have spent less than a year in Cambodia on my numerous photography trips, I've spent much more time, in total, in other Asian countries such as Thailand, India, Nepal, Iran. I've been robbed on only one occasion during the many years of travelling, and that was in Rome whilst on holiday in Italy. I was on an extremely crowded railway station where everyone was literally pressed up against each other. I realized at the end of the trip that my wallet was gone.