No Demolition of Hua Lamphong Railway Terminus

snoop1130

S__2785298-1.jpg

BANGKOK, Nov 29 (TNA) – The State Railway of Thailand has confirmed that the old Hua Lamphong railway terminus will not be demolished or closed.

SRT’s PR director Ekarat Sri-arayanpong provided the confirmation and said that Transport Minister Saksayam Chidchob ordered the SRT to organize public hearings on the future of Hua Lamphong.

The director said that Hua Lamphong would be commercially developed and was likely to generate 800 billion baht for the SRT in 30 years.

Full Story: https://tna.mcot.net/english-news-833273

tnalogo.jpg
  • Like 2

One time i arrived from changmai gagging for a beer, was string on the fridge  doors in with a sign in thai i guess saying alcohol sales were not allowed, i anyway opened the door and grabbed a beer then a thai guy started pushing me away saying something in thai,

girl at the counter came and pushed him away saying its ok he,s farang cant vote, was around 15 years ago.

Edited by tingtongfarang
smelling mistakes
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, tingtongfarang said:

i have fond memories of the station, hope they dont have a brain fart and turn it into a shopping mall

Don’t worry they’ll turn it into a fresh market and soon the smell of rotting meat and vegetables will fill the air 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, tingtongfarang said:

i have fond memories of the station, hope they dont have a brain fart and turn it into a shopping mall

It's where I first discovered the miracle of being able to use a UK cash card in a Thai ATM. A long, long time ago. But then, I'm old enough to remember when only one place in the whole of New York City, in the Pan Am building, changed foreign currencies. And in Stockholm, I could only cash traveller cheques (remember them) at the Amex office.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Panadadad said:

Don’t worry they’ll turn it into a fresh market and soon the smell of rotting meat and vegetables will fill the air 

Some stations in the UK were turned into indoor markets, and some into convention centres. I'd bet on the former for Hua Lamphong, hopefully without the rotting food. I think most markets have moved from that. None of the markets near me are unhygienic.

21 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Hua Lamphong railway terminus will not be demolished or closed.

I hope this will be the case, unlike back in my early years as a young lad, when this attracted much public response to its demolition in the UK:-

A Landmark Lost and Found - The New York Times

For reference:-

This Doric style arch was the main entrance to Euston Station, a North London railway terminus. Against much public criticism, in 1961 it was demolished during the construction of a new station -later regarded as an "ugly concrete monstrosity". The stones were taken apart and dumped in an East London canal. During construction of the London Olympics complex in 2012 the stones were rediscovered. In 2015 some were removed back to Euston Square, opposite their original site, and put on display (second photo). It is hoped that one day the arch will be rebuilt and sited at the new High Speed 2 Euston terminus (third photo).

Stones from the Euston Arch return to Euston Station

A Landmark Lost and Found - The New York Times

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1