US Medicare options for CNX residents

PFV

On 11/30/2021 at 11:53 AM, 1FinickyOne said:

I can't imagine I will ever go back... 

I self insure and can handle an illness financially probably better then emotionally. 

I feel the same but hedge my bets and still pay for medigap policy too.

One thing that has impressed me the last two years is that it's getting more and more difficult to predict the future.

I figure if I ever return to America it will be because of a severe medical problem that is curable. In that case the premiums I'm forfeiting now will be a fractional cost of the claims I'll make. If it's not curable I'll just stay here and go up in smoke.

If I never make a claim then I'll just consider the medical insurance was a lucky charm that kept me healthy because fate is perverse.

I take your point though. One solution does not fit all.

I think I found the answer about Medigap and other Medicare expat issues.

So there is foreign coverage if you start Medigap BEFORE you expatriate. 

That said its fair to assume that enrolling in Medigap as an expat and faking being a US state resident would be a fraudulent enrollment.

Read further in the link for why Medigap is not good coverage for long term expats even if enrolled legitimately.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/economy/retiring-abroad-what-medicare-plan-should-i-get

People with Original Medicare (Parts A and B) can get a Medigap policy (also known as a Medicare supplement plan) that provides coverage of emergency medical expenses outside the U.S. Medigap plans are regulated and sold at the state level. According to UnitedHealthcare spokeswoman Sarah Bearce, you need to be a resident of a state when you first buy a Medigap plan. After that, if you moved outside the U.S., your Medigap plan would continue in effect so long as you paid the premiums.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Thanks 2

What amazes me is that guys will freely spend money on beer, holidays, women, and others. Then not insure themselves properly for illness and injuries that wil occur as we age and always go up in price. If you cannot afford Medicare B and you no longer work you are f&&king yourself. No safety net exists in Thailand. But to each his own just don’t ask me for Go Fund Me money when the hospital refuses to treat you for free. ????

Edited by Wake Up

7 hours ago, Wake Up said:

What amazes me is that guys will freely spend money on beer, holidays, women, and others. Then not insure themselves properly for illness and injuries that wil occur as we age and always go up in price. If you cannot afford Medicare B and you no longer work you are f&&king yourself. No safety net exists in Thailand. But to each his own just don’t ask me for Go Fund Me money when the hospital refuses to treat you for free. ????

While one should never say 'never', the saved roughly $2000 per year 2022 Part B payment can go a long way to providing full inpatient medical coverage here in Thailand.

• Like 1

FYI for General Enrollment Period for Part B for those expats with only Part A:

If you received Medicare Part A when you first turned 65 years old but did not sign up for Part B.

Each year there is a General Enrollment Period. For the year 2022. The enrollment period starts January 1, and ends March 31 2022. The effective date that Part B coverage starts is July 1, 2022.

So there is a gap period.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, RegularGuy77 said:

FYI for General Enrollment Period for Part B for those expats with only Part A:

If you received Medicare Part A when you first turned 65 years old but did not sign up for Part B.

Each year there is a General Enrollment Period. For the year 2022. The enrollment period starts January 1, and ends March 31 2022. The effective date that Part B coverage starts is July 1, 2022.

So there is a gap period.

Correct.

But it can be much worse than that.

Suppose you had an unplanned or emergency repatriation in April 2022. In that case you wouldn't be able to enroll until January 2023 for the actual coverage to start July 2023.

On 12/1/2021 at 5:28 PM, Jingthing said:

I think I found the answer about Medigap and other Medicare expat issues.

So there is foreign coverage if you start Medigap BEFORE you expatriate. 

That said its fair to assume that enrolling in Medigap as an expat and faking being a US state resident would be a fraudulent enrollment.

Read further in the link for why Medigap is not good coverage for long term expats even if enrolled legitimately.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/economy/retiring-abroad-what-medicare-plan-should-i-get

People with Original Medicare (Parts A and B) can get a Medigap policy (also known as a Medicare supplement plan) that provides coverage of emergency medical expenses outside the U.S. Medigap plans are regulated and sold at the state level. According to UnitedHealthcare spokeswoman Sarah Bearce, you need to be a resident of a state when you first buy a Medigap plan. After that, if you moved outside the U.S., your Medigap plan would continue in effect so long as you paid the premiums.

Thank you!

This means that one can acquire US residence for a bit more than 6 months, sign up for Medicare and Medigap, and then move back to Thailand.

56 minutes ago, PFV said:

Thank you!

This means that one can acquire US residence for a bit more than 6 months, sign up for Medicare and Medigap, and then move back to Thailand.

You can sign up for A and B living abroad. Medigap abroad coverage is limited. It was designed for travellers so its good for an emergency event.  Even though yes there is that loophole its of limited use for people living abroad indefinitely. If you think that would be worth temporarily moving back well go for it I guess. Its definitely of interest to people BEFORE they move abroad though.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 11/30/2021 at 7:37 PM, Jingthing said:

Yes you avoid the penalty.

I don't know if you are subject to the regular enrollment period or not in your situation. I would guess you'd be an exception though but you should research that.

The regular situation is there is a three month enrollment period. If an expat signed up for B just after that date they wouldn't be able to enroll until a year later adding up to a potential 15 month delay.

However yes expats can enroll during any open enrollment period including while living abroad.

Correct no US address needed for A or B.

Thanks Jingthing, I took your advice and researched further. My individual insurance plan does NOT qualify. Apparently you qualify if you have GROUP HEALTH INSURANCE with a company of 20 or more people.