1st night experience

Almer

So the bars with food were open till late last night, a joy for many.

My experience of two follows :

5 of us went out for food and a couple of beers in Bkk, we chose a well known good eatery and were  met at the door with a team of about 5 staff all checking Covid pass, temp with ATK test, all done professionally , but I felt the pass on my phone isn’t foolproof with cross check of name but they did the checks and a good time was had.

What followed was the exact reason Prayut  has kept the place shut down, after leaving the responsible good Covid efficient eatery we stop off at another well known establishment and what I witnessed if this is the general norm we can all  get ready for another booze ban:

absolutely crammed with people both inside and out, a less than efficient check, other than I showed my sticker from the first place we went but had my phone pass at the ready but it wasn’t requested complete mayhem caused by people intent on getting paralytic for the sake of it with little care or responsibility, we were reminded we would have to order food also so ordered a single small modest plate of finger food to comply, people wandering around with beer in there hands no masks and no action or gentle reminders from the staff,   Which I understand is difficult telling a group of about 20 bikers to comply as another round was delivered to the table.

All in all the first place we went was efficient but took a little time to get in, the second and what I feel will be the norm was get as many in as poss and get the cash flowing.

I have not given names as both I see we’re doing as the government wants, the first to  check status of people, the second to get the economy moving, have to wait and see if there are any spikes in a week or so.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

What first night, been open a lot longer they just changed the hours to 11 instead of 9.

That was the point of the post, 1st night of late opening, sorry I thought people would understand!! So open until 11 I saw beer flowing way after 11,so you understand I mean later than 11 as the new 1st night was meant to be

• Like 1

Don't expect people to comply with rules when they can get away without complying, some will check, others will be relaxed.

My advice to anyone would be if your going out, go to places like the 1st place and avoid the 2nd type of places, i.e. unless you want to be in a place that will increase your chances of being exposed to the virus.

We can't expect people to protect us when there is money to be had, i.e. unless they are the type of establishment that is known to adhere to the rules, and personally, I know where I would be putting my money, not the 2nd place, no thanks.

9 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

Normal, Thai people are used not to follow the rules, look on the roads how they behave and by wearing helmets. Same for restaurants, and bars.. as long as the RTP does not check or heavily fine nothing will change.. teamoney always do it better. People have to learn that rules and laws are not only pieces of paper, but that there a real consequences if break them.

Most people do follow the rules.

Some don’t and it’s seldom they are called to account.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

Normal, Thai people are used not to follow the rules, look on the roads how they behave and by wearing helmets. Same for restaurants, and bars.. as long as the RTP does not check or heavily fine nothing will change.. teamoney always do it better. People have to learn that rules and laws are not only pieces of paper, but that there a real consequences if break them.

Not only Thai people, many others also

22 hours ago, Almer said:

the second and what I feel will be the norm was get as many in as poss and get the cash flowing.

IMO of course it will be the norm. People will be people and not obey the whims of the government if they can do so. Of course businesses want to make money, which is why they exist. Perhaps some prefer they go broke and go out of business.

BTW, did anyone force people to enter the second business? If not, then the responsibility is of those that entered of their own free will.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, steven100 said:

so are you whining that you didn't get laid or did you lie about the couple of beers  ??? 

Didn’t go out to get laid, passing on my experience of the first late night for a while 

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

IMO of course it will be the norm. People will be people and not obey the whims of the government if they can do so. Of course businesses want to make money, which is why they exist. Perhaps some prefer they go broke and go out of business.

BTW, did anyone force people to enter the second business? If not, then the responsibility is of those that entered of their own free will.

Agreed

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Most people do follow the rules.

Some don’t and it’s seldom they are called to account.

I would not bother following any rules if I did not agree with them. The government and other authorities are always on power trips, especially soldiers, it's the way they are brought up.

In saying that, I will never break any rules which I think may be detrimental to ordinary people like myself.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

I would not bother following any rules if I did not agree with them. The government and other authorities are always on power trips, especially soldiers, it's the way they are brought up.

In saying that, I will never break any rules which I think may be detrimental to ordinary people like myself.

My observation was countering the suggestion that Thai motorists don't follow the rules, I observed most do but those who do not act with impunity. 

I chose to live here, I follow the rules, especially the rules of driving. 

2 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

My observation was countering the suggestion that Thai motorists don't follow the rules, I observed most do but those who do not act with impunity. 

I chose to live here, I follow the rules, especially the rules of driving. 

When driving, if you have good common sense you do not have to bother about any rules, the main one is always be aware of what is going on round about you.

As for other rules, if you want to obey them all you may just as well just not bother getting up in the morning.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, fgmr said:

Thanks Almer, 

What is happening in the North and Issan provinces where many long stay expats reside?

Been business as usual for many months in many places, I’m sure the same in Bkk 

Edited by Almer
Spelling

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Agreed,  and it will be up to those who wish to participate, but the fallout will be felt by all.

There are no real “rules” here once inside the country which cannot be ignored or circumvented by connections and payment. Utterly Corrupt BUT far Safer than “rule of law” western nations.

I would not comply with that described venue entry process. Not present here in Open Phuket. Bangkok like all large cities seems a literal pandemic nightmare.

As AZ vaxxed Resident I can’t catch or transmit Covid in any serious way so when out in Patong tonight I will

not be following any damn “rules”.

Nor will anybody else either……

Impossible to have a good time with mask! Wouldn’t bother.

There are the Buddhist Cultural norms here and enforced regs. by govt and banks about having certain docs.  And some property laws are enforced by courts against unconnected people for political or financial reasons. There are NO persons of any influence in prison here ! That’s it . murderers walk free here every day. people without valid passports / ID are ignored. Lawyers mainly Crooks or not even qualified Lawyers. Property freely used to acquire illegal loans, etc.

Now it’s wise to comply with certain “rules” to minimize your financial & legal exposure as a foreigner such as Property, driving, Imm. & bank documents ( which only you must hold !)

BUT connected / wealthy persons here can and do just buy their way out of any non-compliance trouble if they can’t be bothered with “ the rules”, which evasion is simply impossible in any advanced nation.

It is true that rich people can pay large sums not to adhere to rules and laws, middle income people can pay modest sums and poor people cannot pay anything and finish up in jail.

Laws and rules seem written to facilitate collecting such sums and are only actually enforced when media including social media publicise non compliance or the moneyed classes are loosing out

14 minutes ago, equalizer1970 said:

At the end of the day, everything one can do has been done, double jabbed, etc etc. Locking people away and restricting freedom of movement will cause far more problems in the long run. Cabin fever symptoms dont necessarily need to come from a cabin. It is about time the world realizes this virus is going nowhere. No matter what you do, the hard facts are the human race will have to either live or die with it. I am fully vaccinated and can receive and transmit the virus no more or no less than a person who is not vaccinated. However hospital admittance data does not show that unvaccinated people are the ones filling up the bed spaces. If this was the case i would be in favour of mandatory vaccines. The way things stand i simply can not understand why people who choose not to have a vaccine for whatever reason are now being targeted and alienated like a witch back in the 17th century. There is simply no logic to it whatsoever. If someone can give me a reason i would be happy to hear it. Personally i am now Pro vaccine because i have acknowledged the science and analyzed the data. That is far less people who have been vaccinated die from it. As long as none vaccinated individuals are not taking a disproportionate number of beds that would have been used for say a cancer patient, then i dont have a problem with it.

Do you have a reference point for your statement that " hospital admittance data does not show that unvaccinated people are the ones filling up the bed spaces"