I used to live in BKK but between the pandemic and my mom needing help, I have mostly moved back to the US. In Thailand, I lived with my GF or had my school bother with finding living quarters. Now, I don't have either one so I am returning for three months to "relax" and have to find a place to stay. I have found several places on FB marketplace who will rent for three months but now I wonder how smart is this? I assume these people are all agents/owners and on the up-and-up but in truth, they could be fraudulent as well. I don't have a clue. They do offer me contracts so I find that somewhat reassuring but is there anything else I should look out for? I speak some Thai and have a lot of Thai friends who can help but that really wouldn't help much if I got in a pickle. It's only three months so it's not a king's ransom but I would prefer to minimize the drama. Should I just stick to AirBnB which I found uninspiring? Anybody know Thais who have rented off FB marketplace? Thanks

12 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Just don't pay it all up front, and not more than 1 month security.

That's gonna be hard. Every single one has asked for two and the booking. I share your concern about losing the two months knowing I'm leaving no matter what. I have stated that I am returning in November to stay a year as a carrot. Might help but might be completely useless. 

11 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

What I would do is get here to area I wish to be, find a cheap Guesthouse that will do a monthly rate and just do the 3 months there or stay a month at a time in different places. 

Yes, there are a number that do that but I don't know if I trust leaving my laptop in a hotel unattended. I go jogging in Lumpini every day and it would prompt Thais to stop me to take selfies with the crazy farang who runs with his laptop. Maybe I am too mistrustful.

1 minute ago, Thai Visa Member 999999 said:

Yes, there are a number that do that but I don't know if I trust leaving my laptop in a hotel unattended. I go jogging in Lumpini every day and it would prompt Thais to stop me to take selfies with the crazy farang who runs with his laptop. Maybe I am too mistrustful.

There's always someone you can trust at the Guesthouse to leave a laptop with. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, tonray said:

Come to BKK...get a hotel for a week or two and find a place you like. Why would you pay up front...there are so many vacancies now it's ridiculous to kowtow to any demands made by a landlord.

That's a good point. Some of these places have been advertising for months on end on FB MarketPlace. I have my area in mind already. Since it's only three months, I'm rather inclined to get this done and dusted and enjoy myself but maybe a week is enough time. The agents are certainly hurrying it up. They want me to see the place and sign before I'm out of Test&Go quarantine.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Thai Visa Member 999999 said:

That's a good point. Some of these places have been advertising for months on end on FB MarketPlace. I have my area in mind already. Since it's only three months, I'm rather inclined to get this done and dusted and enjoy myself but maybe a week is enough time. The agents are certainly hurrying it up. They want me to see the place and sign before I'm out of Test&Go quarantine.

You only need a couple of days to get a place if you speak a bit of Thai and know the area already.

• Like 1

i would also recommend the stay in hotel for a week or two program while deciding on where you want to sign up for a longer stay.  do not decide on place before you've been there.  that might be okay for a one week stay but if you are doing a couple months, best to see it first.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, tonray said:

Come to BKK...get a hotel for a week or two and find a place you like. Why would you pay up front...there are so many vacancies now it's ridiculous to kowtow to any demands made by a landlord.

OP ....  this is the most practical way to do it.  Just come, book a cheap hotel 2 weeks, look around get prices and see the room.  You'll have to pay 1 months deposit for sure, but take photos of any damage or broken items and you should be fine, 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

You only need a couple of days to get a place if you speak a bit of Thai and know the area already.

2 minutes ago, steven100 said:

OP ....  this is the most practical way to do it.  Just come, book a cheap hotel 2 weeks, look around get prices and see the room.  You'll have to pay 1 months deposit for sure, but take photos of any damage or broken items and you should be fine, 

I appreciate your thoughts but I think spending 1/6 of the vacation on lodging is too much for me but I will certainly follow your suggestion regarding photos. Thank you.

17 minutes ago, dddave said:

When I was looking for a short term condo rental in Jomtien earlier this year, I tried a number of FB marketplace adds. 

It got really frustrating, really fast.

Slow and very vague responses from renters.  More often than not they were agents.  Units they wanted to show me frequently did not match the ad I responded to.  Pretty much bait and switch.  If I told them my maximum budget was B10,000, they would still continue to show me places for 12,000+.  Huge BS factor all the way.

Right now, there is a really big inventory of empty rental units.  There is no reason to rent sight unseen.  Photos of units can be hugely misleading, making them look much larger than they are. You can also find yourself next to a noisy swimming pool or over a dumpster..

Depending on where in Thailand you want to rent, there are probably videos on YT of available rentals in that area.

I ended-up watching several of those specific to Pattaya/Jomtien then just went to the buildings that looked like what I was looking for and asked to see available units.

Just stay in a hotel for a week and do a little legwork.  You'll be much happier with what you end-up with.

Sound advice. I do know the area I want, even the building I most prefer so I may just trot down to the Supalai and look at their boards once quarantine has been satisfied.

39 minutes ago, Thai Visa Member 999999 said:

Sound advice. I do know the area I want, even the building I most prefer so I may just trot down to the Supalai and look at their boards once quarantine has been satisfied.

I don't know about Supalai specifically but some condo's will rent directly and some insist you go through an agency.  

The last month, as confidence about more tourist arrivals has gone up, prices have risen slightly and some of the short term "no monthly contract" or "3 Month contract" deals have dried-up.  However, there are still good deals available and many stated rents are negotiable.

There are agents representing owners who will quote a price significantly over what the usually absentee unit owner has specified, then pocket the difference.  If they think you are serious, they can usually drop the price. 

• Like 1

You should check out Airbnb.com. Its loads to choose from and the prices are lower than ever. So many apartments stand empty due to the lack of tourists.

You can rent for as long as you want. The longer the cheaper. No depositum either

Come here and get a hotel here for a week or two.

Then whatever city you want to stay go and explore condos you might want to stay.

Every Condo has a board with available rentals.  You can call the agent or owner for a showing.

Its as cheap as its ever been.

You might as well get a nice Penthouse.

Raves about this search site, check it out and thank me later!

https://www.fazwaz.com/

Screenshot_20211202-173737.jpg

1 hour ago, MrMilk said:

You should check out Airbnb.com. Its loads to choose from and the prices are lower than ever. So many apartments stand empty due to the lack of tourists.

You can rent for as long as you want. The longer the cheaper. No depositum either

there is absolutely no way I would choose an AirBnb .......  Bangkok doesn't work on this platform.

I have heard so many horror stories about airbnb.    no way man

just rock up, and walk inn ...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MrMilk said:

Good point and worth checking for short term stays.

Yes, no deposits but watch out for sometimes significant "Cleaning fees" and "linen fees" slid-in, not at all apparent until the final total appears.

Edited by dddave
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, steven100 said:

there is absolutely no way I would choose an AirBnb .......  Bangkok doesn't work on this platform.

I have heard so many horror stories about airbnb.    no way man

just rock up, and walk inn ...

I have stayed at some very nice apartments in Bangkok with Airbnb. One was particularly nice as it had a large clawfoot tub surrounded by glass windows overlooking Taksin bridge and we could just lay in the tub and drink beer and watch the traffic jams on the bridge and on the river. Sweet. 

• Like 2