Navigation System for Car Recommendations

AwwYesNice1

we bought an android head unit to replace the original unit in our Honda HRV. This  gave us Apple car play , phone mirroring etc. It was not cheap.   It was however, the WORST decision I have ever made (well...) . The unit is slow / laggy , not at all user friendly - we should have stuck to the original unit with the iphone propped in front of it - like we used to do.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, G Rex said:

we bought an android head unit to replace the original unit in our Honda HRV. This  gave us Apple car play , phone mirroring etc. It was not cheap.   It was however, the WORST decision I have ever made (well...) . The unit is slow / laggy , not at all user friendly - we should have stuck to the original unit with the iphone propped in front of it - like we used to do.

Interesting, do you recall the brand and how long ago this was purchased?

Ideally it is just a monitor that is linked via bluetooth to your iPhone and works as

a monitor running your google maps app, music accounts etc.

Edited by AwwYesNice1
edit

Wife and I are currently in Australia working and her car is on older model Volkswagen that we recently changed out the head unit, as the stock unit would not link up via bluetooth.

Wife needs to run WAZE to find her way around as this is her first time being let loose outside of Thailand.

We both have Apple iPhones and link the phones via USB to the car radio when we are driving that car.

Looked at some of the dearer options that link via bluetooth but i have been advised against them due to synch problems.

i also put a pioneer head unit in our car in Thailand that links via usb.

I have found the Free App Called  'waze' to be the best navigator in Thailand, it is better than the standalone Garmin system that i have on my Bike.

i think any reasonable quality head unit from one of the more widely known brands should suit your needs, just confirm that it either Apple CarPlay , or the Android equivalent before you purchase it.

then try google maps and download WAZE ant give it a run.

Waze is also very good at avoiding traffic as it is constantly being updated in live time by users, i have used it in 6 countries so far and it has turned into my default navigator.

3 hours ago, moose7117 said:

Wife and I are currently in Australia working and her car is on older model Volkswagen that we recently changed out the head unit, as the stock unit would not link up via bluetooth.

Wife needs to run WAZE to find her way around as this is her first time being let loose outside of Thailand.

We both have Apple iPhones and link the phones via USB to the car radio when we are driving that car.

Looked at some of the dearer options that link via bluetooth but i have been advised against them due to synch problems.

i also put a pioneer head unit in our car in Thailand that links via usb.

I have found the Free App Called  'waze' to be the best navigator in Thailand, it is better than the standalone Garmin system that i have on my Bike.

i think any reasonable quality head unit from one of the more widely known brands should suit your needs, just confirm that it either Apple CarPlay , or the Android equivalent before you purchase it.

then try google maps and download WAZE ant give it a run.

Waze is also very good at avoiding traffic as it is constantly being updated in live time by users, i have used it in 6 countries so far and it has turned into my default navigator.

Google now owns Wazee so they share common data and algorithms.

Running Garmin or any other map system than Google is superfluous and akin to Plebs and Baht Bus Riders.

The installed panel replacing the old ass radio is simply a mirror of your iPhone or Android phone but it seems some with slower chips will and can lag from what I'm researching.

borat.jpg

4 hours ago, AwwYesNice1 said:

Google now owns Wazee so they share common data and algorithms.

Running Garmin or any other map system than Google is superfluous and akin to Plebs and Baht Bus Riders.

The installed panel replacing the old ass radio is simply a mirror of your iPhone or Android phone but it seems some with slower chips will and can lag from what I'm researching.

borat.jpg

Maybe so, however simply hooking up the phone through the stereo head unit allows me to use the phone for calls and access the GPS app without having to actually put my hands on the phone.

Here in the police state of Australia the fine for using a phone whilst driving is prohibitive, but you can still talk hands free and you get a much larger screen to look at when you need directions.

1 hour ago, moose7117 said:

Maybe so, however simply hooking up the phone through the stereo head unit allows me to use the phone for calls and access the GPS app without having to actually put my hands on the phone.

Here in the police state of Australia the fine for using a phone whilst driving is prohibitive, but you can still talk hands free and you get a much larger screen to look at when you need directions.

how do you access the GPS app without putting your hand on the phone ?