Euro 2004

Axel

In theory the best players from each nation should form the EURO-team. Now who are these best players?

Van Nistelrooy comes to my mind for England. Sorry, cannot he is Dutch, same as Makaay, playing for Munich but cannot play for Germany. Owen Hargreave playing for Munich, Lehmann (was) goalkeeper for Chelsea.

Jörg Stiel, Bruno Berner, Hakan Yakin, Swiss Nationals playing in Germany, Bernt Haas, (West Bromwich Albion),

Angelos Charisteas, Bremen, Zisis Vryzas, AC Florence, Themistoklis Nikolaidis, Atletico Madrid

Jan Koller, one of the best strikers in Germany plays for the Czechs during Euro 2004.

David Beckham, Real Madrid, Christian Ziege, Tottenham Hotspur, Dietmar Hamann, FC Liverpool

I just gave a few names of players who are or have been in the EURO 2004, without considering qualification but week for week we are watching these guys. Van Nistelrooy's name comes up as scorer in an English team. Without Makaay Bayern Munich would have been worse off, without Charisteas, (and Ailton from Brazil) Bremen would not be German champion.

Now what happens every 2 years during Euro and World champion ship? The players we admire, have to go home to play for their own country, where they might have problems to adjust to the team.

Thai names do not appear in Europe, yet. (Although I think 1 or 2 'played ' on the bench in France?

English and German interests are there to build football schools in Thailand. One day (soon?) the result will produce world and/or Europe-class players. These guys will play in Europe, mostly. Perhaps successful, but during world championships are expected to play against their host nation for Thailand.

My drift? The champions league shows where it should go, establish the EURO based on teams, not on nationalities. Let the winner be the best team from the originating country. If MANU, or Chelsea wins, play the English national anthem, if Munich or Stuttgart wins, it's the German, if Ajax, it's the Dutch a.s.o., Lyon, Monaco. Let a Thai shoot the deciding penalty for an English World cup winner.

Just an idea to think about.

er, isnt that the champions league?

whats wrong with working in one country and being the nationality of another. you are thai arent you?

No, I am not Thai, but perhaps living for too long here. :o

Nothing wrong with working in one country and being the nationality of another, my point goes more to experience and training.

Take Van Nistelrooy who plays for quite some time in England, gained experience there, but for the EURO suddenly plays for Holland.

Jan Koller plays for a long time in Germany and many Germans don't even know that he is from the Czech Republic for whom he is playing during the EURO.

What I wanted to say, the English League, the Bundesliga, the Spanish La Liga are all producing strong teams with the help of players from other countries. When it comes to European Champion ship or World champion ship, each country can bring only own nationals, which does not reflect the strength of the countries' football and makes the result a bit 'off line'.

My example was similar to the Champions League. How about a "national" tema consisting of players who at least played for one year in country.

Perhaps, England would still be in the EURO 2004, if van Nistelrooy would have participated for the country where he plays usually.

Just my idea.

Or if the referee was'nt an idiot.

Dave, I cry with you.

What about 1966, England - Germany and the referee was Swiss although he followed the Russian lines man (assistant referee)

And that was never a goal. :D:D:o

Take Van Nistelrooy who plays for quite some time in England, gained experience there, but for the EURO suddenly plays for Holland.

what kind of experience did van Nistelrooy gain in England then? I guess the British gained some experience about how football should be played. I'll 2nd the opinion of "Dutch" Van Nistelrooy should play in the Dutch team. It's high time the Brits learn how to play themselves... :o