Change Non Immigrant Marriage based to Thai Child based Visa

First of all thanks to all the people in this forum helping about these questions with their experience. Helped a lot the last years ????

I am currently running on a Non-Immigrant O Visa based on Marriage and I would like to change it to Thai Child.

Is that easy to change?

Questions:

1. I bet the normal documents apply and the 400k in the Bank account? Nothing changes here? Next to Marriage Certificate you most probably need the Birth Certificate then naming me as a father? I will drive to the local immigration 1-2 months before to get the latest documents and requirements of course just asking beforehand if anyone knows.

2. Can I switch the reason for the extension in Thailand? Or do I need to leave the country? This is my biggest question. Maybe someone else switched visa already here and can let me know. I read in another thread it should be easy to change the reason for extension? Not changing the visa itself?

Thanks a lot.

Edited by burner2014

You would not be changing the reason that your non-o visa was issued and that is not required to change the reason for your extension of stay based upon marriage to one based upon being the parent of Thai.

Why do you want to change the reason for your extension from marriage to one for being the parent of Thai?

The only big difference or advantage of the 2 is that the 400k baht only has to be in the bank on the day apply instead of 2 months. 

Also some office will not let you change the reason for your extension if you are still married.

5 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You would not be changing the reason that your non-o visa was issued and that is not required to change the reason for your extension of stay based upon marriage to one based upon being the parent of Thai.

Why do you want to change the reason for your extension from marriage to one for being the parent of Thai?

The only big difference or advantage of the 2 is that the 400k baht only has to be in the bank on the day apply instead of 2 months. 

Also some office will not let you change the reason for your extension if you are still married.

My immigration actually asked us the last 2 years if we have kid already haha because they don’t want to drive and visit the house anymore.

With marriage visa they come check your house every year after application. When you have a kid they don’t do that anymore so less work for them I guess.

Okay will be interesting then next year if they still like to change the reason to Thai child. 

But thanks so actually not much difference needed and I keep the money anyways untouched for years.

34 minutes ago, burner2014 said:

My immigration actually asked us the last 2 years if we have kid already haha because they don’t want to drive and visit the house anymore.

Some offices that do house visits waive the home visa if you have a child. You only need to include their birth certificate with your application for that to work. They consider it to be further proof your marriage is real and defacto.

You do not have to apply for your extension based upon being the parent of a Thai to avoid the home visit.

16 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Some offices that do house visits waive the home visa if you have a child. You only need to include their birth certificate with your application for that to work. They consider it to be further proof your marriage is real and defacto.

You do not have to apply for your extension based upon being the parent of a Thai to avoid the home visit.

understand that was also our thought after reading your answers here.

So I guess will double check with my local immigration 3-4 weeks before the renewal and hope for exactly that case. That's much more convenient than having every year immigration officers in your little home ???? 

21 hours ago, burner2014 said:

understand that was also our thought after reading your answers here.

So I guess will double check with my local immigration 3-4 weeks before the renewal and hope for exactly that case. That's much more convenient than having every year immigration officers in your little home ???? 

If you are still Married and living with the child's mother they will probably refuse.

19 minutes ago, ThaIrish Sean said:

Not wishing to hijack the thread but if My Thai wife and myself are relocating to Thailand, it would be better for me to get a visa based on my ThaIrish daughter and not marriage?

You might be able to apply for the extension based upon being the parent of a Thai if you are married to their mother.

The only difference is that marriage requires the 400k baht for 2 months and the date of application for being the parent of your child.

• Like 1

On 12/8/2021 at 6:40 PM, ubonjoe said:

You might be able to apply for the extension based upon being the parent of a Thai if you are married to their mother.

The only difference is that marriage requires the 400k baht for 2 months and the date of application for being the parent of your child.

practical speaking who is moving that 400k anyways if the person lives long-term in Thailand. Mine never moved for years. I forgot about it ???? 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, burner2014 said:

practical speaking who is moving that 400k anyways if the person lives long-term in Thailand. Mine never moved for years. I forgot about it  

Some people may use some of it to live on and then top it up before the next extension. There may be more people doing it than you think.