is Thailand going to open its border for visa runs anytime soon?

They say the border with Malaysia is going to open on December 16th. But there is no chance it will be open as normal. No doubt there will be vaccination and test requirements to enter Malaysia, then the same coming back, plus Thai Pass and health insurance.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

The land crossing in Nong Khai is planned to reopen on 24.XII on the Thai side. However, so far there was no indication from the Laotian side that this will be reciprocated. There are plans to reopen some parts of the country for vaccinated tourists in 2022, but it looks that initially these will be schemes similar to the Phuket Sandbox. So I wouldn't could on doing visa runs to Laos anytime soon.

Edited by shadowofacloud

5 hours ago, drronnie said:

There are rumors that Thailand is going to open its borders on the 16th December but I wonder if there is any truth to this.

Very doubtful.

Considering the new Omicron scare they might wait for early next year before opening land borders.

• Like 1

I am hoping for Thailand – Lao border to open, but am afraid it will be some time yet because of Omicron.
Have to rely on, that they keep extending the corona extension, until it does, as they have done so far.
It is already extended until 23 Jan-2022 (Will give permeation of stay until end of marts)

9 hours ago, rodknock said:

i am in the same boat, waiting for borders to open for a border run.

the way it looks it will be a long wait.

But you can still fly, or not ? Cambodia is open to tourists apparently, and I read Langkawi island too.

I suppose you’d still need to do THai pass though and a new insurance. As I can’t get a evisa due to complications of delays, I would try a week or two in either places to lengthen my stay.  Maybe the Cambodia forum knows more ?

1 hour ago, Lite Beer said:
11 hours ago, shadowofacloud said:

The land crossing in Nong Khai is planned to reopen on 24.XII on the Thai side.

Is that only for Romans?

Presumably for dual nationals. If it was for Romans, the date would be XXIV.XII. Also, perhaps it is a special Christmas present for Christians.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, geisha said:

But you can still fly, or not ? Cambodia is open to tourists apparently, and I read Langkawi island too.

I suppose you’d still need to do THai pass though and a new insurance. As I can’t get a evisa due to complications of delays, I would try a week or two in either places to lengthen my stay.  Maybe the Cambodia forum knows more ?

All international arrival to Malaysia is subject to mandatory quarantine anywhere between 7 to 14 days plus vigorous multiple testing

5 hours ago, geisha said:

Flying to Cambodia and back to Thailand  with Thai Pass and insurance, possible ?

It can be done now. But I am sure you would not be able to just fly into Cambodia and then turn around and come back.

I'm hoping they open a travel bubble with Singapore by air. I prefer to spend a few days there and reenter than do the annual extension at immigration. I don't need this until November next year though so hopefully it's more smooth by then.

4 minutes ago, wasabi said:

I have a Thailand Elite visa which grants a 1 year extension every time I come into the country.

Nice option esp pre covid times. Think by next Nov should be easier air travel

Edited by DrJack54