Sanna Marin: Finland's PM sorry for clubbing after Covid contact

Atlantis

Which of these applies to you?  

1 member has voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Sorry if you've seen this already but couldn't resist. I felt compelled to post this for several reasons:

1. This sounds like a headline from The Onion, not the BBC
2. Breaking News: the political class are hypocrites
3. Educational value: there is a country called Finland. It's leader is very young.
3. This forum appears to be dominated by older gentlemen...[see photo]

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-59577371

Finland's Prime Minister Sanna Marin has apologised for going clubbing after coming into close contact with a Covid-19 case.

Sanna Marin went on a night out in Helsinki on Saturday, hours after her foreign minister had tested positive. She was initially told she did not need to isolate because she had been fully vaccinated, but later missed a text that advised her to do so. Critics questioned her judgement for not isolating until testing negative.

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Should we really analyze if every politician and celebrity all over the world all the time followed all the rules?

Personally I think let's concentrate on the important issues. If she is a good PM, fine. And if she is not then I hope people will elect another one. But if she is a good PM should she resign because of one little incident? I don't think so.

Totally agree.  I think most politicians have fallen short of the Covid protocols at one time or another and then there are those that ignore them all together.  IMO, she doesn't owe any apology to anyone.  She was told she didn't have to isolate, she went out and then found out that she should.  If it were that important, I am sure they could have found her if they felt she was an imminent danger to anyone.   

It's not like Russia invaded.  They're pretty busy in Ukraine these days.

• Like 1

It seems she's not alone in her 'misbehavior':

World leaders are still running afoul of their own covid restrictions

There's often outcry when a public figure eschews covid rules - but even more so when those breaking the rules are the same ones who set them.

How can the government expect the public to follow its restrictions when its top officials fail to do so, is the often-repeated question. In 2020, guideline-flouting officials faced backlash across the world - from New Zealand to Ireland to Canada to the United States.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/world-leaders-still-running-afoul-133946935.html