All VTL visitors to Malaysia will be tested for Covid-19 for 6 days

610577423_visitmain.jpg.c1dbd749cacacc6362c83178bf7b794b.jpg

Malaysia has revised its Covid-19 testing standards for international and domestic visitors arriving under three different travel schemes.

Those who travel by air or land through the Vaccinated Travel Lane (VTL), the Langkawi International Travel Bubble (LITB), or the One Stop Centre (OSC) for short-term business visitors would be required to take extra Covid-19 tests for six days after arrival in Malaysia.

Travelers from Singapore will be subject to the new rule as well.

The requirement, which goes into effect today, intends to reinforce the Ministry of Health's existing preventative and control measures to avoid the transmission and spread of the Omicron variety in the country, according to Health Minister Khairy Jamaluddin.

On arrival in Malaysia, VTL travellers are subjected to a professionally administered Covid-19 detection test - a reverse transcription polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR) test for those arriving by air, and an antigen rapid test kit (RTK-Ag) test for those arriving by land - according to current procedures.

Travelers will be subjected to extra tests following their arrival under the new restrictions.
On the second, fourth, and sixth days after their arrival, they will take a self-administered RTK-Ag test, followed by a professionally performed RTK-Ag test on the third and fifth days.

Mr Khairy also stated that people travelling must be completely vaccinated and undergo RT-PCR testing 48 hours prior to their departure dates, which is a reduction from the previous requirement of 72 hours prior to departure, according to national news agency Bernama.

Those who use the LITB must also do an RT-PCR test at least 48 hours before departing the island of Langkawi.

All test results, according to Mr Khairy, must be submitted through Malaysia's Covid-19 tracking app, MySejahtera.

Ms Melissa Lee, 36, a Singapore banker, said she plans to fly to Kuala Lumpur on Dec 15 to see her parents and spend time with friends after being away from Malaysia for two years.

Ms Lee, a Singapore permanent resident who has worked in the nation for more than a decade, said the new daily testing regulations will cause her additional inconvenience and increase her travel costs, but she will still return home.

"I'm simply delighted that the Singapore and Malaysian authorities are continuing with the VTL rather than suspending it," she said. "I think the additional testing measures are a good precaution, because even when I return home and travel freely, I'll be able to rest assured that I'm Covid-free," she added.

"It'll be worth it even with the extra price because it'll be my first flight home in two years."

Although the extra daily tests would add to the long list of travel requirements, Ms Hee Xin Wei, 24, who works in a healthcare software firm in Singapore, said she will continue to travel as long as the VTL stays available.

She plans to return to Penang for two weeks for Chinese New Year next year, after not visiting since Chinese New Year in 2020.

"I'm ready to abide by any measures as long as they assist ensure the VTL can begin," she stated after waiting so long to return.

"I see it as the government attempting to keep things safe, and as long as the VTL isn't cancelled, I'm fine with it."

Ms Hee went on to say that the daily antigen rapid tests aren't that much of a nuisance compared to the other paperwork, preparation, and pre-departure exams she has to go through before returning home.

Travelers from five countries having Omicron cases in the community, namely the United Kingdom, the United States, Australia, France, and Norway, will be needed to get tested with an RT-PCR swab test 48 hours before departure for Malaysia, according to Mr Khairy.

These travellers will also be obliged to wear a digital tracking device at all times during their mandatory quarantine period, according to him.

Discover Cigna’s range of health insurance solutions created for expats and local nationals living in Thailand - click to view

Edited by ASEAN NOW Content Team