Passport Photos

I need a new Canadian Passport.  Reading through the photo requirements, they claim to not accept "electronic photos" which I assume means digital photos.   Ugggg.   Does anybody know of a studio somewhere around Pattaya or Bkk that still has one of those film cameras that has 4 lenses?

• Confused 2

34 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Surely not! Who does film photography nowadays?

I'm sure what they mean is 'not in a digital format' like on a thumb drive for instance. Not very well worded though.

For a Canadian passport you must take the old style done at a studio passport photos, much like the ones you take for immigration.

OP, download the passport requirements, including what name of studio, date, size of photos.

I've seen people get rejected for having digitally altered photos.

The Canadian embassy is much more lenient these days, they used to only accept from certain studios, now you can go to any shop. Just get the size and lighting right and put the info on the back and you should be OK

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Surely not! Who does film photography nowadays?

I'm sure what they mean is 'not in a digital format' like on a thumb drive for instance. Not very well worded though.

Actually, it's required that everyone submit actual photos, that have the photo studio name, guarantors original signature, etc. on the back, so it's crystal clear they won't accept a thumb drive etc..  They are referring to digital vs film format.

• Like 1

There is a photo studio in the basement of Future Park in Rangsit that does passport photos. I got some there eight months ago when I had to apply for a new British passport. They had a list which mentioned the requirements of different countries, and I think that Canada was on the list.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Randy99 said:

Actually, it's required that everyone submit actual photos, that have the photo studio name, guarantors original signature, etc. on the back, so it's crystal clear they won't accept a thumb drive etc..  They are referring to digital vs film format.

Well I've just read this article here and it makes no reference as to which format is used, digital or film.

But wish you good luck in finding a photographer who will successfully get all that information onto the back!

11 minutes ago, Ombra said:

There is a photo studio in the basement of Future Park in Rangsit that does passport photos. I got some there eight months ago when I had to apply for a new British passport. They had a list which mentioned the requirements of different countries, and I think that Canada was on the list.

Us Brits are lucky in that we do not have to have the photos endorsed. But I have read that they do scrutinize the photos and compare them with the previous one and if they don't think the likeness good enough, they will reject them. I'm just wondering how different I will look at 80 years compared with the last one at 70 years. ????

32 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Well I've just read this article here and it makes no reference as to which format is used, digital or film.

But wish you good luck in finding a photographer who will successfully get all that information onto the back!

You are quite correct.  However the passport application has detailed requirements, over and above what you have referenced, section N.  Therein you will find the words I quoted.  

BTW, before retiring I worked as a Civil Aviation Safety Inspector.  I was an aviation maintenance cop.  The number one complaint from industry was imprecise, vaguely worded pronouncements in the Canadian Regulations.  Same, same with the passport department.

Cheers

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Ombra said:

Thank you, thank you, thank you.  I'll look them up.  Cheers

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, kwonitoy said:

For a Canadian passport you must take the old style done at a studio passport photos, much like the ones you take for immigration.

OP, download the passport requirements, including what name of studio, date, size of photos.

The Canadian embassy is much more lenient these days, they used to only accept from certain studios, now you can go to any shop. Just get the size and lighting right and put the info on the back and you should be OK

Thank you!

14 hours ago, Randy99 said:

Thank you!

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-passports/photos.html

The guarantor doesn't have to sign the pictures, I didn't for my last couple of passports or for my son's.

Everything else they are strict on. I had mine rejected for having the faintest of a tint visible on my glasses.

Bangkok is much more lenient than the main office in Canada.

I had my last passport photos done at a studio in Udon Thani that did my immigration photos and just wrote the info on the back in pen myself.

Edited by kwonitoy

14 hours ago, Moonlover said:

• professionally printed on plain, high quality photographic paper
    • we don’t accept photos printed at home and photos printed on heavy weight paper
  • original photos that are not altered in any way or taken from an existing photo

From the article.

• Confused 1

The photography shops are all over. Ask at any Kodak or shops near immigration offices. Paper pics are lest susceptible to manipulation and are required all the time here. Very common no big deal. For my passport I used pics recently taken for my driving license but left the whole thing to an agent

Edited by The Hammer2021

15 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Us Brits are lucky in that we do not have to have the photos endorsed. But I have read that they do scrutinize the photos and compare them with the previous one and if they don't think the likeness good enough, they will reject them. I'm just wondering how different I will look at 80 years compared with the last one at 70 years. ????

I had to have my passport photos signed. I used the company Dr. And recently the Agent arranging the new passport.

15 hours ago, Moonlover said:

How do you fix a digital image to paper. lol..Obviously digital images can be photoshopped..

• Confused 1

20 minutes ago, kwonitoy said:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-passports/photos.html

The guarantor doesn't have to sign the pictures, I didn't for my last couple of passports or for my son's.

Everything else they are strict on. I had mine rejected for having the faintest of a tint visible on my glasses.

Bangkok is much more lenient than the main office in Canada.

I had my last passport photos done at a studio in Udon Thani that did my immigration photos and just wrote the info on the back in pen myself.

Can  not wear glasses for UK passport pic

On 12/10/2021 at 9:51 PM, kwonitoy said:

Use an agent!!!!!!

10 minutes ago, kwonitoy said:

OP is asking about Canadian passport application

I know but other nationalities are reading this and making contributions and getting informed.  It seems very unlikely that spectacles would be allowed these days by Canada even if they were in the past as other countries might not accept the photographs so my point seemed worth making but you will see in another comment I suggested using an agent and their up to date knowledge and expertise

11 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

I know but other nationalities are reading this and making contributions and getting informed.  It seems very unlikely that spectacles would be allowed these days by Canada even if they were in the past as other countries might not accept the photographs so my point seemed worth making but you will see in another comment I suggested using an agent and their up to date knowledge and expertise

It's a thread about CANADIAN  passport renewal

We accept photos with:

• glasses worn if:
    • your eyes are clearly visible
    • there is no glare on the lenses

You seem obsessed about using an agent, works for you.

I prefer to do it myself and educate myself about the process.

Could care less about other countries requirements

On 12/11/2021 at 10:46 AM, Randy99 said:

Thank you, thank you, thank you.  I'll look them up.  Cheers

Hi Ombra.  Again, thankd for referencing the photo shop which you used.  I plan on going there on my moto this week.  To that end, I was wondering if you have the name or telephone number of the studio.  I live in Chon Buri so it's a long drive and was hoping to contact the studio, just to make sure they are still in business and will be open on the day.

Cheers, Randall.