Best Of British Foods

After my lard question Ive been looking on the internet and have found a british company who ship/post virtualy any well known British foodstuffs.

They are Best Of British...www.britsuperstore.com

Has anyone tried them?

Does anyone have any idea of what customs duties might be payable here?

They say they ship post,DHL etc as thre customer chooses.

After my lard/suet question I noticed they have 250gm Atora at about 120 bahts...and Frey Bentos Steak & Kidney pies.....used to love those.

Edited by gennisis

You can make your own Frey bentos pie. Simply chop a large onion and 2 tyre inner tubes into a metallic dish. Preferbly one that will add its own flavour. AHHH! Tin!

Next visit the set of a Japanese Bukakke movie and scrape up the left overs for the sauce. Now that you have the right consistancy you need to stir in a dollop of the finish Cornish mud. This is best if taken from a site under a broken pipe at a public toilet.

For the topping simply sandpaper your grandfathers knee, when the scab is nice and crusty just place on top of the pie and place in the oven.

Now the real trick here is to have far too much to drink and remove from oven about 12 minutes short of the cooking time.

After my lard question Ive been looking on the internet and have found a british company who ship/post virtualy any well known British foodstuffs.

Has anyone tried them?

After my lard/suet question I noticed they have 250gm Atora at about 120 bahts...and Frey Bentos Steak & Kidney pies.....used to love those.

Geez, are you homesick for that stuff ? i came over here to get away from it ! :o

I come from Devon ( UK ), we had a family from oop north ( cant remember where from ,but the old mans favourite saying was " champion " ) move in next door, one their culinary delights were lard sandwiches with sugar on ! i kid you not,. wouldnt swop it for my clotted cream sandwich for any money ! :o

Edited by mikethevigoman

I come from Devon ( UK ), we had a family from oop north ( cant remember where from ,but the old mans favourite saying was " champion " ) move in next door, one their culinary delights were lard sandwiches with sugar on ! i kid you not,. wouldnt swop it for my clotted cream sandwich for any money ! :D

yeah the sugar bit, how awful...we put salt on ours.

Every sunday tea tme ( 6pm ) we had "dripping " which is essentially lard spread on bread cake with a sprinkling of salt.

Dripping all the left over fats from the earlier cooked joint of beef. :o

Aye champion.

You can make your own Frey bentos pie. Simply chop a large onion and 2 tyre inner tubes into a metallic dish. Preferbly one that will add its own flavour. AHHH! Tin!

Next visit the set of a Japanese Bukakke movie and scrape up the left overs for the sauce. Now that you have the right consistancy you need to stir in a dollop of the finish Cornish mud. This is best if taken from a site under a broken pipe at a public toilet.

For the topping simply sandpaper your grandfathers knee, when the scab is nice and crusty just place on top of the pie and place in the oven.

Now the real trick here is to have far too much to drink and remove from oven about 12 minutes short of the cooking time.

:o

I come from Devon ( UK ), we had a family from oop north ( cant remember where from ,but the old mans favourite saying was " champion " ) move in next door, one their culinary delights were lard sandwiches with sugar on ! i kid you not,. wouldnt swop it for my clotted cream sandwich for any money ! :o

aye! that spot'd dick's champion lad!

ROFLMAO - I laughed so loud those in the upstair condo will think i have cracked up.

I come from Devon ( UK ), we had a family from oop north ( cant remember where from ,but the old mans favourite saying was " champion " ) move in next door, one their culinary delights were lard sandwiches with sugar on ! i kid you not,. wouldnt swop it for my clotted cream sandwich for any money ! :D

yeah the sugar bit, how awful...we put salt on ours.

Every sunday tea tme ( 6pm ) we had "dripping " which is essentially lard spread on bread cake with a sprinkling of salt.

Dripping all the left over fats from the earlier cooked joint of beef. :o

Aye champion.

Yeah me too but it was only at my nana's and it was from the lard and bacon grease left in the pan after frying bacon.

What about yorkshire puddings with strawberry jam on them next day - we used to take therm down the pit.

aye! that spot'd dick's champion lad!

Was it newcastle ?

Has anyone tried them?

If I can casually re-direct to the Original post, I checked the site and ten tins of fish, weighing 1.9 kgs total cost 15 pound and postage was 20.

I suppose it depends on how badly you want it, and then you have to allow for the Thai postage system which several members here allege steal parcels.

After my lard/suet question I noticed they have 250gm Atora at about 120 bahts.

As I now have some Atora suet (kindly donated by a frequent traveller) and I'm reminded of my old Yorkshire mum's recipe for what she called "seasoned pudding". It's not a pudding in the desert sense but eaten as a starter as a change from Yorkshire puddings (same idea, fill you up so you don't eat as much meat). I've never known anyone else but my mum make this.

1 loaf of bread (preferably past it's sell-by-date) broken up and soaked in milk for 1 hour.

Suet to the equivalent of 1/2 the loaf.

Chopped onion to the equivalent of the loaf.

1 Egg.

2 tsp Sage.

Salt and pepper.

Squeeze the bread with your hands to remove the majority of the milk. Discard the milk. Add the remaining ingredients to the bread and mix well. Place the mixture in a greased tin or oven-proof dish to a thickness of 30 to 35 mm. Bake in a preheated oven (200 degC) for around 1 to 1 1/2 hours or until the pudding is a dark brown colour. Serve hot with lashings of onion gravy.

post-123-1181690334_thumb.jpg

Edited by jayenram
To add picture

As I now have some Atora suet (kindly donated by a frequent traveller) and I'm reminded of my old Yorkshire mum's recipe for what she called "seasoned pudding". It's not a pudding in the desert sense but eaten as a starter as a change from Yorkshire puddings (same idea, fill you up so you don't eat as much meat). I've never known anyone else but my mum make this.

1 loaf of bread (preferably past it's sell-by-date) broken up and soaked in milk for 1 hour.

1 Egg.

2 tsp Sage.

Salt and pepper.

Squeeze the bread with your hands to remove the majority of the milk. Discard the milk. Add the remaining ingredients to the bread and mix well. Place the mixture in a greased tin or oven-proof dish to a thickness of 30 to 35 mm. Bake in a preheated oven (200 degC) for around 30 to 40 minutes or until the pudding is a dark brown colour. Serve hot with lashings of onion gravy.

sounds like a Yorkshire feast

1 Egg.

2 tsp Sage.

Salt and pepper.

Squeeze the bread with your hands to remove the majority of the milk. Discard the milk. Add the remaining ingredients to the bread and mix well. Place the mixture in a greased tin or oven-proof dish to a thickness of 30 to 35 mm. Bake in a preheated oven (200 degC) for around 30 to 40 minutes or until the pudding is a dark brown colour. Serve hot with lashings of onion gravy.

Hey....this reminds me of something else lacking in Thailand.......Bread Pudding. The sweet and fruity/Spice version.....must see if I ve got any stale bread

• 5 weeks later...

Everytime my kids come over I insist they bring me Fray Bentos Steak & Ale Pies.

I miss them so so much.

I won't let anyone share when I have them.

Call me shellfish..I've had enough of them to last a lifetime.

Everytime my kids come over I insist they bring me Fray Bentos Steak & Ale Pies.

I miss them so so much.

I won't let anyone share when I have them.

Call me shellfish..I've had enough of them to last a lifetime.

OK...I"ll call you shellfish....Im not selfish