Is there an Insurance Ombudsman….or complaints office in Chiang Mai.?

mikey88

I won’t mention the name. But I paid a considerable sum from Australia to get insurance for the OA visa for a year. last year.

I was about to book a flight when the Australian government issued a travel ban.

I waited week by week for the travel ban to be lifted…..so I did not cancel my insurance until late.

I never got a proper refund….they kept about 90% of the money and they refused to do anything about it.

I never left Australia.

i couldn’t fly because of the government travel ban not for any reason of my own.

Is there a central body that handles complaints like this about Thai insurance companies….?

Anybody have any tips…?

On 12/22/2021 at 1:08 PM, damascase said:

The relevant institution is the Office of the Insurance Commission.

For the local CM branch office see https://www.cmhy.city/en/place/3443-office-of-insurance-commission

General: https://www.oic.or.th/en/consumer

Always nice to notice that one’s help and relevant information regarding a question is being appreciated…….????????

Edited by damascase
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Before you raise a complaint with the Insurance Commissioner's office, check the cancellation provisions of your policy. Many policies only provide for what is called "short-rate" cancellation if the policy is cancelled by the policyholder. 

Short-rate is considerably less favorable than pro-rata, but it is entirely within the permit of existing regulations and general insurance practice in almost all countries. 

I don't think the travel ban issue will overcome the short-rate penalty provision of the policy, but no harm in trying. Just be aware that the policy wording is probably going to prevail in this instance.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

Before you raise a complaint with the Insurance Commissioner's office, check the cancellation provisions of your policy. Many policies only provide for what is called "short-rate" cancellation if the policy is cancelled by the policyholder. 

Short-rate is considerably less favorable than pro-rata, but it is entirely within the permit of existing regulations and general insurance practice in almost all countries. 

I don't think the travel ban issue will overcome the short-rate penalty provision of the policy, but no harm in trying. Just be aware that the policy wording is probably going to prevail in this instance.

Indeed, look at your policy about cancelation. He is right that it was not his fault, but neither was it the fault of the Thai insurer. The blame lies with the Australian government. The Thai insurer just keeps to the rules of the policy, just check if they really followed them. 

I don't think he has much chance, as you said cancellation is always expensive, plus not the insurer its fault either. Maybe he should claim at the Australian government. They were the ones to blame.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/25/2021 at 6:55 PM, damascase said:

Always nice to notice that one’s help and relevant information regarding a question is being appreciated…….????????

Greatly appreciated….thanks..

Due to no fault of either party, the insurer ended up taking on no risk.  Seems fair that their policy would be to refund the premium paid, possibly minus some reasonable amount to cover their administrative costs for having issued and then canceled the policy.