US IRS Status advice

wwest5829

We married this year and the tax year for US citizens is drawing to a close. This year I will be doing the extensive IRS reading concerning a change in reporting status but I am soliciting input from Americans married to Thais (who are not US citizens or having a Green Card).

Da is a Thai citizen. We have no intention of living in the US nor her gaining any residency/citizenship in the US. Things in Thailand go to Da on my death. Things in US go to my Sons (separate wills - no co-mingling).

So, tax filing status advice? I am sole support, her Daughter is a h.s. student living with us. Tax status advice … Married Filing Jointly, Married Filing Separately, Head of Household? Any thinking on good, fair tax reporting agencies (I am in Chiang Mai)?

bill

I would find a CPA with experience on your particular situation.  I have lived in Thailand for years(I file single) and my US based CPA files my Federal and State Returns.  The CPA I use has extensive experience with overseas Americans but no experience with those married to foreigners.  

• Like 1

I file my taxes as married filing jointly using her ITIN, but I also have my son and he has a social security number so there incentive for me to fill jointly, bigger return.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, andy said:

If you do MFJ, your wife has to apply for an ITIN from the IRS and this essentially puts her on the IRS tax radar for life (including FACTA, FBAR, and all the other <deleted>). 

The is no requirement to file FBAR for a non resident ITIN joint tax filer if not living in USA.  They are only treated as a US Person for joint tax account filing.  

https://www.google.com/search?q=fbar+filing+requirement+for+non+resident+itin+alian&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t

If wife has limited income it is normal to file joint return.  New policy I believe is apply for ITIN with first tax return and in later years just use the ITIN on return.