British Man Arrested Over Extortion Demands On Tesco-Lotus

sriracha john

British man quizzed about Tesco threats

Lumpini police and immigration authorities were last night questioning a British man suspected of sending emails demanding money from Tesco in the United Kingdom. Stephan Alexander, 36, and his wife were taken from the Nana area near Sukhumvit road and handed to the Crime Suppression Division police, a source on the investigation team said. Mr Alexander denied sending the threatening emails, the source said. He was still being questioned at press time. The CSD was working closely with Scotland Yard. UK police were still not convinced Mr Alexander was the right man, said the source. Scotland Yard investigators are in Bangkok working on the case. He threatened to poison food in Tesco supermarkets if they did not pay him 2 million (136 million baht) in cash.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/08Jun2007_news08.php

Scotland Yard helps hunt Tesco blackmailer

Thai police are working closely with Britain's Scotland Yard in a bid to track down a man who threatened to poison food sold in outlets of the retail giant Tesco if it failed to give him around 2 million pounds (about Bt136 million).

A blackmail note was sent to the retailer's top executive from an Internet cafe ้ in Bangkok.

A representative for Tesco Lotus outlets in Thailand, which is a part of Tesco's global empire, and police officers from Scotland Yard yesterday met with senior officers in the Crime Suppression Division (CSD) to discuss the case and submit more evidence.

Also at the meeting were CSD acting commander Colonel Pongpat Chayapan and Lt-Colonel Chakrit Iam-jangpan, deputy superintendent of the CSD's special operations unit.

They revealed no details of their discussions.

But earlier in the day, Chakrit said the blackmail note was sent on May 21 from an Internet cafe in Bangkok's Nana area.

Recordings from a closed-circuit TV system suggest the offender was a foreigner in his 40s or 50s. The blackmail note was signed "John Smith".

"We suspect there are Thai accomplices," Chakrit said.

However, a police source said the British authorities were not happy that the case had been exposed in the media out of concern the blackmailer might be aware of the police hunt and could have already gone to ground or fled.

The CSD has asked Tourist Police to look for the suspect in Soi Nana.

According to the source, the suspect was the only customer in the Internet cafe้ when the blackmail note was sent. Inquiries reveal that a similar threat was once made against Tesco in China.

Thai police have asked Tesco Lotus to provide information on any individuals the firm has had conflicts with.

- The Nation

Crime Suppression Division coordinates with Scotland Yard in apprehending Thai email extortionist

The Crime Suppression Division is coordinating with Scotland Yard police in collecting information on an international email extortion case.

The Deputy Superintendent of the Crime Suppression Division, Pol Lt Col Jagrakrit Ieamchangpan (จักรกฤษณ์ เอี่ยมแจ้งพันธุ์ ), reports that his division is coordinating with police officers from Scotland Yard in order to obtain information on a suspect who attempted to extort money from a well-known department store with branches in Thailand. The suspect threatened to taint the store's products with poison if his demands for payment of 2 million pounds were not met.

Pol Lt Col Jagrakrit revealed that the email originated from Thailand, with the sender believed to be located somewhere in Nana Road. Surveillance imagery led police to deduce that the suspect is male, and 40-50 years old. British officials have requested information on the case from Thai authorities.

The Deputy Superintendent of the Crime Suppression Divisiona added that no further information on the ongoing investigation can be revealed at this time in order to prevent the email suspect from being forewarned.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 08 June 2007

They had breaking news on Thai TV channel 1 about 30 minutes ago that they caught the guy, somewhere in Nana.

Edited by Maestro
Quoted text removed. No need to quote the whole, lenghty post.

Only here would a threatening email be headline news and only here would the local constabulary manage to give out too much information and mess up an investigation.

God help them, it seems that even Scotland Yard can't!

Only here would a threatening email be headline news and only here would the local constabulary manage to give out too much information and mess up an investigation.

God help them, it seems that even Scotland Yard can't!

Ah yes, so nice to see yet another constructive comment from one of the world's great thinkers.

And only heres (Thailand AND ThaiVisa.com) are all the farang such incredibly learned and wise, Nobel-winning geniuses with such positive, healthy attitudes that they can somehow make such astute observations about how the rest of the world is so perfect and how everything in Thailand is so incredibly stupid/corrupt/ignorant/crime-ridden/greedy/etc.

Not me. I'm gettin' tha he11 out of this flea-bitten he11-hole. I'm headed off to those shining, great paragons of honesty, spirituality, morality, balance and health. You know, places like North America, Central America, South America, Europe, the Middle East, South Asia, Oceana, East Asia, the former Soviet Union.

Thank God those places never suffer any crime, greed, corruption, poor reporting, poor policing, misguided souls, ignorance, lack of edumacashun, spiritual intolerance, spiritual misunderstanding, morality lapses, etc, and only in Thailand does anything ever go wrong.

But I am NOT, repeat NOT, setting one foot in that ridiculous, two-bit, undeveloped backice called Antarctica. Nope, nosiree!

I'm too smart for them penguins. God help those stupid, flightless birds. They's need to get theyself a good CHRISTIAN God. Yep. Then they'd be perfect an'all. Just look at all the never-ending good Christianity has done for this world! Not like these ignorant "Buddhists". An' don' get me started on them Islams.

I leave anybody out? Just raise your hand, I'll swivel the turret on round and send one over. You wanna real one or will some smoke do?

Well, here he is, proudly headlining the Thai Rath newspaper in a groovy England shirt:

pic_11.jpg

The funny thing is that the police were on the street and walking into the bars on soi 4 with this guys picture in hand , asking bar staff 'you no him'. They found him waliking into an internet cafe ( the same one as the first time ) after about 1 hour of walking in and out of the bars.

Funny police work , But it did work so....

Bangkok is definitly not boring :o

I've seen this guy around on numerous occasions. Even spoke to him once, i think. What the hel_l was he thinking? Did he seriously think Tesco would give him 2 million quid. Unbelievable.

Ive been poisend a few times here in Thailand - maybe it was this guy.  Anyone else been poisend should file a report against this guy :o

The caption says Alexander John Winston. Earlier in the article, the name given was Stefan Alexander.

No, the earlier reported name was 'Stephan Alexander', not 'Stefan'.

"Ph", not "F".

Edited by ColPyat

But I am NOT, repeat NOT, setting one foot in that ridiculous, two-bit, undeveloped backice called Antarctica. Nope, nosiree!

I'm too smart for them penguins. God help those stupid, flightless birds. They's need to get theyself a good CHRISTIAN God. Yep. Then they'd be perfect an'all. Just look at all the never-ending good Christianity has done for this world! Not like these ignorant "Buddhists". An' don' get me started on them Islams.

I leave anybody out? Just raise your hand, I'll swivel the turret on round and send one over. You wanna real one or will some smoke do?

Are you for real? Sheesh, and I thought the modern medications handed out actually worked. :o

In 2002 a batch of chocolate bars in Tesco were poisoned and it did not make the international media. Now a terrible British Terrorist is busted thanks to the Thai police doing a good job.

Other such blackmailers are still on the large and reportedly extorting from China

It is hypothesized that the bangkok Brit may have other cell members who are actually working for Tesco UK.

post-47339-1181394664.jpg

Here is another picture of Winstone. If anybody has information regarding him or other cell members or if they have seen him acting suspiciously in any branch of Tesco then please let us know.

Near to Sukhumvit we have

Rama 4 Tesco

Onnut Tesco

Has anyone seen Al Winstone at any of these potential targets of his?

Does anybody know of his associates in the UK who may also be members of his terror cell.

The picture in the red shirt is this British Pratt trying to discredit the Great Britain as when he was arrested he was wearing a white shirt, here is the picture of police taking him away.

post-47339-1181394916_thumb.jpg