Thailand unveils plans to cope with Omicron COVID variant outbreak

snoop1130

4 hours ago, cyril sneer said:

this variant will be nothing compared to what's coming

I predict the same, one bad mutation and it’s 2020 all over again

who knows maybe another SARS virus will appear, Ebola outbreak, bird flu etc. 

Edited by dj230
  • Like 1

On 12/27/2021 at 6:28 PM, connda said:

You are vaccinated and yet you are afraid of contracting Covid?  Why?  You're safe.  Most the the world leaders said if you get the vaccines you won't get Covid.  Only the unvaccinated spread Covid.  Are you unvaccinated?  No? So you have nothing to worry about.  Test and quarantines should be a thing of the past for clean, vaccinated people!  I hate it when people spread conspiracy theories that the fully vaccinated get Covid no less spread it. 
It's an "epidemic of the unvaccinated."  All vaccinated citizens are "Safe!"  Stop spreading lies and rumors.  You'll create a panic. 
Vaccinated = Completely Safe!

How can you talk as much with your tongue in your cheek?

Is herd immunity real, or is it more like the tooth fairy?  The way the UK and other parts of Europe 

and lots of other countries are having big spikes of the Omicron variant of COVID19, as well there are

still cases of Delta putting many people in ICU wards all over, this pandemic is far from over.

As it was stated Omicron has only been around for just over a month, it is making a lot of people

sick, and making them stop working, that is a worrying situation for all businesses.

I wonder just how many plans the government still has to come up with to cope with this

new variant?

14 hours ago, IamNoone88 said:

As much as people like to complain in this forum (myself included), the Health Ministry has come a long way in managing the pandemic and I do believe they are better prepared now than when they were caught flat footed at the start. The vaccine issue has disappeared. The organisation of a work force of normal hardworking Thai people who go out every day and grind, be that administering booster shots to a large population or picking up multiple patients per day in ambulances or caring for Thai's and expats a like and keeping up on all the administration and organisation .... its a huge and thankless task. They deserve credit.

Nobody is critical of the nurses/doctors/ambulance drivers, they are having to deal with mess they didn't create. The complaints go to those who decided to make some money and curry favor by going with Chinese and Siam made vaccines that proved ineffective or were late to arrive. But those who made that decision also had the foresight to pass a law that grants them amnesty from being prosecuted for that decision. Interesting, no? At any rate, western vaccines are to the rescue and suspicious political decisions are all old news now, or so they hope... Credit where credit is due, and condemnation where it is due.

18 hours ago, roquefort said:

"Wishful  thinking. The common cold is a corona virus why is there no herd immunity? "

The fact that the common cold no longer causes people to die or even get seriously ill suggests that there is some form of herd immunity.

The research you've quoted states that immunity from Covid  lasts from 3 months to 5 years. So as the majority of the population get infected and build both natural and vaccine-induced immunity, we are moving towards a scenario like the flu where an annual booster jab for the most vulnerable will likely provide sufficient protection. I'm certainly not suggesting that the Covid virus will disappear, but that its effects will become manageable, and infection with a milder variant like Omicron brings us closer to that point.

"The fact that the common cold no longer causes people to die or even get seriously ill suggests that there is some form of herd immunity."

You are wrong, "immunity" is the ability to resist a particular disease so there is no herd immunity to the common cold.

I wouldn't disagree with the last paragraph, every chance the virus will mutate to a stage where it ceases to become a threat to serious illness in healthy individuals. There is not enough known to make that decision yet and could be very dangerous to jump the gun.

Who can say if another mutation will not go in the other direction. Sample size is everything and currently the sample size of variants is too small for a positive indication.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, dj230 said:

In Thailand and the rest of the world the cost of surveillance and upgrading health infrastructure to deal with an emerging pandemic is much less than living with a pandemic on the scale of SARS2. Sadly the US didn't lead on this after regime change happened this past January.

6 minutes ago, placnx said:

In Thailand and the rest of the world the cost of surveillance and upgrading health infrastructure to deal with an emerging pandemic is much less than living with a pandemic on the scale of SARS2. Sadly the US didn't lead on this after regime change happened this past January.

There was SARS outbreaks and ebola outbreaks before 

The difference is China decided to not inform anyone and didn’t contain it. Nor did other countries. 

No one took it seriously and this was the result.

2 hours ago, dj230 said:

The difference is China decided to not inform anyone and didn’t contain it. Nor did other countries. 

You have to remember no 2 situations are ever the same. I was here during the SARS outbreak in 2002 and it was the rapid reaction of countries like Thailand, Malaysia and Singapore that protected most of the world from a major outbreak. At that time nearly all Chinese travelers passed through the Asian hubs.

Eighteen years down the line it is a completely different scenario with direct flights from China going all around the globe. Iran suffered quite badly because they maintained direct flight even after the pandemic was declared.

You are right to a certain extent in that certain western leaders stuck their head in the sand and shrugged it off as another Asian problem, nothing to do with us.

You are wrong however to say that no one took it seriously. I traveled down from my home in Chonburi to Padang Besar on 5th February 2020 to do a border bounce. I took the mini bus to the station, it was mask, temperature check and hand gel to get on. Bit the same at the train, they made the beds up almost straight and everyone got behind their curtain until time to get off.

At PD it was temp check and socially distanced queue for immigration, and at the desk hands were sprayed and they were cleaning the fingerprint machine each time it was used. Between Thai and Malay immigration there were a team in hazmat suits checking temperature and passports, guy nearly had a fit when he saw my Chinese visa, till he realised it was 6 months old. Same precautions again on entry to Malaysia, you had to take the stuff out your bag, they didn't want to touch it.

Some countries were quite slow to accept the seriousness of the situation but this was not one of them. My niece speaks fluent Chinese and was dealing with Chinese patients at a hospital in Bangkok on suspected covid since the beginning of the year. She was sent home to isolate mid March as her colleague had to be quarantined with covid.  Preventative measures were in place long before the government had to declare the national emergency.

Of course those that don't stray far from the bar stool would have been unaware of what was taking place around them.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, dj230 said:

In the US there have been sporadic attempts to have effective monitoring in the Clinton, Bush2, and Obama presidencies, but funding got cut or diverted to other priorities, such as counterterrorism. There were internationally staffed stations in China as well, but funding was cut there, too. 

On 12/28/2021 at 6:22 PM, dj230 said:

On 12/29/2021 at 3:22 PM, sandyf said:

You have to remember no 2 situations are ever the same. I was here during the SARS outbreak in 2002 and it was the rapid reaction of countries like Thailand, Malaysia and Singapore that protected most of the world from a major outbreak. At that time nearly all Chinese travelers passed through the Asian hubs.

Eighteen years down the line it is a completely different scenario with direct flights from China going all around the globe. Iran suffered quite badly because they maintained direct flight even after the pandemic was declared.

You are right to a certain extent in that certain western leaders stuck their head in the sand and shrugged it off as another Asian problem, nothing to do with us.

You are wrong however to say that no one took it seriously. I traveled down from my home in Chonburi to Padang Besar on 5th February 2020 to do a border bounce. I took the mini bus to the station, it was mask, temperature check and hand gel to get on. Bit the same at the train, they made the beds up almost straight and everyone got behind their curtain until time to get off.

At PD it was temp check and socially distanced queue for immigration, and at the desk hands were sprayed and they were cleaning the fingerprint machine each time it was used. Between Thai and Malay immigration there were a team in hazmat suits checking temperature and passports, guy nearly had a fit when he saw my Chinese visa, till he realised it was 6 months old. Same precautions again on entry to Malaysia, you had to take the stuff out your bag, they didn't want to touch it.

Some countries were quite slow to accept the seriousness of the situation but this was not one of them. My niece speaks fluent Chinese and was dealing with Chinese patients at a hospital in Bangkok on suspected covid since the beginning of the year. She was sent home to isolate mid March as her colleague had to be quarantined with covid.  Preventative measures were in place long before the government had to declare the national emergency.

Of course those that don't stray far from the bar stool would have been unaware of what was taking place around them.

On 12/28/2021 at 6:22 PM, dj230 said:

Israel tells the world to hold its new year beer. Hey guys, here comes Flurona!! 

FH5IvHwXMAApKs2.jpeg

On 12/29/2021 at 3:22 PM, sandyf said:

Isn’t Thailand the country where citizens are protesting about how the government didn’t take covid-19 seriously?

kind of ironic…

On 12/27/2021 at 1:23 PM, connda said:

Said so.  Open up the entire country to travel for New Years and then lock it down for the next 3 months.  Songkran 2021 redux. 
It' almost looks planned or these people at the top are complete idiots.

So exactly where in the article does it say anything about locking down at Songkran?

Pure speculation and scaremongering!

Trying to keep the country open the same as most other countries around the world.

On 12/27/2021 at 5:18 PM, snoop1130 said:

Thailand’s Ministry of Public Health has unveiled plans to cope with a potential outbreak of the COVID-19 Omicron variant next year, including the reactivation of the home isolation program, as the main way to accommodate the infected, and community isolation facilities in Bangkok to shelter infected children, said Dr. Somsak Akksilp, director-general of Medical Services Department, today (Monday).

For Farangs:  The nearest, most expensive private hospital.
"Farang rich!"