Dhipaya Covid Insurance.

NoshowJones

I am Insured by Dhipaya for the virus, that's the one which costs 850Bt for one year. I just bought it at the time because it is cheap and covers you for up to a million Bt.

The conditions of the insurance are all in Thai, so can anybody tell me whether I should renew this insurance, ie does it cover the cost of being in hospital as well as the cost of treatment?

Any help in this would be appreciated.

The policies marketed by many Thai insurers as "Covid insurance" were personal accident policies that provided a death benefit, typically thb 1 million, along with medical expense coverage for Covid treatment with a limit of thb 100,000 or sometimes less. Some also provided a cash benefit if one simply tested positive for Covid. If you paid only thb 850 for a year's coverage, then you probably have one of these personal accident policies. The benefits under your policy may differ somewhat from what I've described above.

A number of Thai insurance companies have lobbied the Office of the Insurance Commissioner to be allowed to cancel their Covid policies mid-term and refund premiums pro-rata. So far, the OIC has refused to allow them to do so. The projected payouts under these policies supposedly present an existential threat to some of them and now with a wave of Omicron looming, things look even more dire to them.

Given that so many insurers were trying to obtain permission to cancel mid-term, I suspect few, if any, will be offering renewal of these products.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

I bought covid insurance via Roojai which is Dhipaya, it covers 100,000 baht medical a year for covid which is better than a kick in the balls but not by much. I probably won't bother renewing because claiming with thai insurance companies can be difficult

Screenshot_2021-12-28-10-49-01-849_com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox~2.jpg

i agree insurance companies can be difficult when making a claim, and not just Thai ones, I will not be renewing although maybe you won't have a choice.

1 minute ago, scubascuba3 said:

it won't be compulsory insurance, if you don't pay it won't be renewed

When I said you may not have a choice, I meant the insurance company may not take the risk of reinsuring you as there is a good chance of having to pay out.