Tea At Author's Lounge

T at the Ori...

From memory ...and was quite a long time ago I took afternoon tea with a friend who was staying there (ie in the hotel) and believe that the Authors Lounge is reserved for residents and their guests only (might have changed)...so dont know the prices....

This guy was loaded (company director or summit) but he was more interested in having me show him the highlights..or more prob the low lights of nearby Pat Pong.who meee...?...absolute charlatain and bounder what?:D

Anyway ref the lounge...its really the bottom section of the Authors Wing of he hotel where a nice suite can set you back about £1500 quid a night...ex breakfast. :o ..of course...

All the famous have been there at one time....James Mitchener,Peter Ustinov,...et all and including on the occasion of my visit a Khun Jeffrey Archer ....hes quite well known in the UK.....who was being given a designation......think about 1990....

Anyway been there a number of time and there are quite a number of other bars/rests to try but easiest and most informal is the terrace /riverside lounge areas where you can sit outside overlooking the C -P river with a long cool G&T....and.... they take Nationwide Visa cards for the check-bin. :D

All the famous have been there at one time....James Mitchener,Peter Ustinov,...et all and including on the occasion of my visit a Khun Jeffrey Archer ....hes quite well known in the UK.....who was being given a designation......think about 1990....

It's a long way from The Oriental to Lincoln Prison :o

I wonder what the staff think when corkscrew whips out his piece and starts taking photos? All his reports are accompanied by photographs.

This is not a criticism by the way, it's lovely to see places you can't afford to visit :o

The biscuits in the picture don't look particularly inviting, I would have expected better from the Oriental... Nice decor in that place though. How much does afternoon tea set you back, roughly?

The tea was 270b.

T at the Ori...

From memory ...and was quite a long time ago I took afternoon tea with a friend who was staying there (ie in the hotel) and believe that the Authors Lounge is reserved for residents and their guests only (might have changed)...so dont know the prices....

This guy was loaded (company director or summit) but he was more interested in having me show him the highlights..or more prob the low lights of nearby Pat Pong.who meee...?...absolute charlatain and bounder what?:D

Anyway ref the lounge...its really the bottom section of the Authors Wing of he hotel where a nice suite can set you back about £1500 quid a night...ex breakfast. :o ..of course...

Anyway been there a number of time and there are quite a number of other bars/rests to try but easiest and most informal is the terrace /riverside lounge areas where you can sit outside overlooking the C -P river with a long cool G&T....and.... they take Nationwide Visa cards for the check-bin. :D

When I moved to BKK at the beginning of 2000 I stayed at The Oriental for a little over two years. As I was a long staying guest I got a good discount.

As a poor upcountry teacher, I believe I could afford 270B. Actually, two or three years ago, I took a Thai acquaintance for a small meal and tasty dessert for an evening at the restaurant on the terrace at the Oriental. Price was not outlandish (I think about 1,300 Baht for two). Also, the author's wing is just a great place to look around (whether you are a hotel guest or not). The pictures, alone, are museum quality, and worth at least a half-hour or so of your time.

As a poor upcountry teacher, I believe I could afford 270B. Actually, two or three years ago, I took a Thai acquaintance for a small meal and tasty dessert for an evening at the restaurant on the terrace at the Oriental. Price was not outlandish (I think about 1,300 Baht for two). Also, the author's wing is just a great place to look around (whether you are a hotel guest or not). The pictures, alone, are museum quality, and worth at least a half-hour or so of your time.

In my opinion The Oriental is the best hotel in the world....it certainly has the best service.

The biscuits in the picture don't look particularly inviting, I would have expected better from the Oriental... Nice decor in that place though. How much does afternoon tea set you back, roughly?

The tea was 270b.

Does the 270b include the biscuits?

The tea was 270b.

Yes.

The tea was 270b.

Yes.

last question promise..is 270 per cup or is it a pot?...if pot how many cups? :o

The tea was 270b.

Yes.

last question promise..is 270 per cup or is it a pot?...if pot how many cups? :o

Pot with about three cups.

FYI, Tea is 270 b, but Afternoon tea is 900....

Meaning what exactly? If you order tea in the afternoon it costs 3 times as much?

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Four years ago I paid in the afternoon 870 Bath for a pot of tea,8 biscuits and a glass of water.

FYI, Tea is 270 b, but Afternoon tea is 900....

Meaning what exactly? If you order tea in the afternoon it costs 3 times as much?

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Four years ago I paid in the afternoon 870 Bath for a pot of tea,8 biscuits and a glass of water.

Got this last week at 2PM for 270b.

Got this last week at 2PM for 270b.

Not quiet the same as four years ago, but anyway : "and times they are a changing"

Ok, once for the cheap seats.....

Tea (to drink anytime) is 270 b

Afternoon Tea which is something that the English invented about 1000 years ago, and actually why people go the Oriental (or Sukothai, Peninsula... um HK Pen) is Tea along with a traditional stand which includes scones, clotted cream, jam, a plate of finger sandwiches and a plate of sweets.

It is not a new concept