Do you know your caddies?

ASEAN NOW News

Playing golf in Thailand has the bonus of enjoying our rounds in the company of some beautiful Thai caddies.

As Thai star Thongchai Jaidee says, “Caddies are Thailand’s secret weapons.”

Here we have posted seven photos of caddies taken over the past 40 years around the Pattaya region.

See if you can tell what club they caddied for?  For the correct answers go to the replies and scroll down.

Number 1.

BURAPHA.thumb.JPG.55bbceca04078b6e899c0fd221bd6e9a.JPG

Number 2 

1207272451_PattanaGC.jpg.029e9c828da39727a733e3ef5e3edc8b.jpg

Number 3.

1108244017_greenwoodGC1.thumb.JPG.7d8fe97bdde16ed2c2fc58e6003358f1.JPG

Number 4

1754262378_PattavaiaCenturyCaddies.thumb.JPG.85cd99a785b03de00279c22ac303d07c.JPG

Number 5.

1226563151_PattayaCountryClubcaddies2.thumb.JPG.a6811ae8f76b591a1afb220aea760d31.JPG

Number 6.

1585449830_SiamCountryClub.png.0dbce979c93a9be9537a60988e600068.png

Number 7.

1766897285_readingthegreens2.thumb.png.744bf4fe10c083a9da64ed87d713a552.png

We will post the answers later. Enjoy!

Started to play golf 15 years ago at one course and the third caddy I ever had is still my caddy today at that same course. Seen her as a mother to her son and now a grandmother.

A friend and someone who is my eyes on the golf course who also pulls along my heavy set of clubs in a trolley. 

One of the benefits of golf in this part of the world that I would not want to do without.

A friend of mine was playing golf last year in Lam Chabang and fell in love with his caddy on the first time he played there .  Caddy had long black hair and brown eyes and about 5 feet 5 inches tall .  He went back to the course the following week to try and meet  the caddy again but he could not find the caddy or remember his  name  

• Confused 1

One of the nicest aspects of golf in LOS is the caddies.  I confess I am a lazy git and like having someone fix divots and ball marks.  Rake traps, drive the cart or haul the clubs if I'm walking.  And usually they are wonderful company.  I truly miss this as much as the food or any other benefits to visiting Thailand.

I have had one caddy in particular for years.  And she is very good at her job outside the fact I just like spending time with her.  My 3 buddies and I all book the same 4 caddies and it's a wonderful day out together. 

Funny story.  I used to live in Pattaya in a condo.  Woke up one day to play golf and got into the elevator to go downstairs for breakfast etc.  Door closes and stops one floor down.  An attractive young thai woman gets on and says good morning to me Khun jimmybcool.  I am confused because I do not recognize her and as I am trying to place her and say good morning back she starts laughing.  She says "You don't know who I am do you?".  I confess it is true.  She then says she has been my caddy for 2 years now and will see me at the course in a few hours.  Turns out her boyfriend owned the condo below mine.  Never saw her without the uniform before. 

Another funny story.  I am playing Laem Chabang about 20 years ago.  I get a caddy I've never met before and off we go.  Well, when I was younger I was an OK golfer and from tee to green I am smoking it this particular day.  After 7 holes I have had at least 6 birdie putt attempts inside 20 feet.  I am also about 6 over par.  I was also a really bad putter back then.  So we get to the 8th green and I have yet again about a 20 foot birdie chance and the faithful caddy reads about 1 foot of break right to left.  Well I can not see that much break and I ask her "Are you sure?  I can't see it".  She looks me in the eye and says "What difference does it make?"  I laughed my ass off cause she was right.  Good caddy.

On the pictures above:

1 - Green Vally or whatever it's called now.  Pretty sure

2 - Pattaya Country Club???  Maybe???

3 - Greenwood.  Can confirm reading her pocket.  LOL

4 - Maybe Thai Country Club?  Really guessing here.

5 - Perhaps Siam Country Club or one of it's sisters?

6 - wow no clue.  That is old.

7 - also no clue.  Never seen sleeveless tunics. 

Thanks for the thread.  Brings back good memories.

I was never a big fan of the caddies as I thought that, for the most part, there really were not very good at being a golf caddie.  The men who did that job were good however.  I had the one caddie who would stop by my place before she went to golf course and we would do the wild thing or we would go to a love motel after the round and then she would go home to her Canadian boyfriend.  Now THAT is my kind of caddie.

1 hour ago, jimmybcool said:

1 - Green Vally or whatever it's called now.  Pretty sure

Burapha

2 - Pattaya Country Club???  Maybe???

Pattana - hole 2A - par 5

3 - Greenwood.  Can confirm reading her pocket.  LOL

:thumbsup:

4 - Maybe Thai Country Club?  Really guessing here.

Pattavia

5 - Perhaps Siam Country Club or one of it's sisters?

Pattaya Country Club

6 - wow no clue.  That is old.

Has been posted before - Siam old course

7 - also no clue.  Never seen sleeveless tunics. 

The one I struggle with - I have a vague remembrance but no real idea.

Also I noticed you can cheat - try save image as........:wink:

• Haha 1

It depends on golf course policy. I used to know my regular caddie quite well in Chiang Mai. In Chiang Rai, it seems all courses have a policy of rotating caddies, and one has to pay quite a lot extra for a regular caddie.

I suppose when there are 100 caddies at a golf course, all wanting work, the policy is equitable. However, it does prevent a golfer and caddie getting to know each other well.

Another downside is not knowing whether one is going to get a good, average or incompetent caddie.

All the caddies at the course where I am a member seem to know me; be damned if I could remember them all if I was 50 years younger.

21 minutes ago, ASEAN NOW News said:

OK so the correct answers were as follows.

Photo No.1 was Burapha

No. 2 was Pattana a few uniforms back

No.3 Greenwood

No.4 Treasure Hill

No.5 Pattaya CC 

No.6 Siam Country Club Old Course just after it opened

No.7 Phoenix Gold.

Yes, no 1 is Burapha ... my mistake

I'm pretty sure about No.4 being Pattavia though. The photo was taken on the then newly constructed ramp in front of the new club house

1 hour ago, tgw said:

I'm pretty sure about No.4 being Pattavia though. The photo was taken on the then newly constructed ramp in front of the new club house

Agreed 100%. And that is the practice putting area over their left shoulder.

Also as mentioned if you click on the picture itself it comes up with a file name that mentions Pattavia.

• Haha 1

On 1/2/2022 at 10:59 AM, AlbionBob said:

Quite apart from the lovely course and superb weather, being chauffeured round by a delightful young lady,

Not sure about other courses in Thailand, but in Chiang Mai, "young" is in the minority.  Most are not and are a bit....let's just say, not skinny.  But they do their job.  Curious to know what everybody tips.  My understanding is that 300 bt is fairly standard.  More or less depending on performance, and definitely more if you've booked them in advance.

11 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

Not sure about other courses in Thailand, but in Chiang Mai, "young" is in the minority.  Most are not and are a bit....let's just say, not skinny.  But they do their job.  Curious to know what everybody tips.  My understanding is that 300 bt is fairly standard.  More or less depending on performance, and definitely more if you've booked them in advance.

Yeah age and looks are all over the map in my experience.  But I'm not looking for a girlfriend or pickup.  I'm there for a caddy.  It can be fun if they are cute or not.  Not saying young and cute isn't a benefit in it's own right.  LOL.

And I've been gone 2 years now so don't know but assume the 300 as a standard tip for just doing the job.  More if they were really good or more if you booked them.  My regular caddy gets 500 baht.  And she knows I will never yell at her.  Or look at her as if she messed up the distance or putting line or anything.  And I don't hit too many in the jungle either so it's a fun day for her too. 

I have to admit on the topic of caddies it fried my curds when I see a guy abusing their caddy.  Won't go into detail but came close to hurting a guy once who thought his 15 year old newbie caddy was supposed to compensate for his 28 handicap lack of skills. 

• Like 2

Most of the "out of the way " courses are caddied mostly by amateur caddies who are  there just to pull your trolley or find your ball , of course there are exceptions but keeping hold of a good one is not easy as many golf clubs say no to advanced caddie booking as it is done on a rotation .  Unpopular caddies were jealous of the good caddies getting all the money from advanced bookings .

Move down south to say Pattaya   where there are some top courses and we find some professional caddies who will give you good course advice , line of your putts , speed of the green and spoken in English mostly . Some of them play golf off a decent handicap .  The mature caddies are normally the most skilled and the young ones can be flirtatious and fun . For me 300 baht is the minimum caddie tip but I will double that for a top caddie . 

• 5 weeks later...
On 1/3/2022 at 12:17 AM, superal said:

A friend of mine was playing golf last year in Lam Chabang and fell in love with his caddy on the first time he played there .  Caddy had long black hair and brown eyes and about 5 feet 5 inches tall .  He went back to the course the following week to try and meet  the caddy again but he could not find the caddy or remember his  name  

"Fortune favours the brave." (Terence (c. 190-159 B.C.)

Since retiring here I have come to love all the caddies at my club, and met many more around the traps equally wonderful and helpful.

I played 2 under my handicap the very first time I ever played in LOS with a Thai caddie (Laguna).

And the pleasure of having your ball and clubs cleaned every hole, club selection advice, and green speed / break knowledge is invaluable.

As others have said they're a fount of knowledge.

We now have a few BBQ's each year Aussie style at our home and invite the whole lot of them ... we all have a total blast. 

• Like 1

They can be fun.  My regular caddy was shacked up with a guy a floor below me and one day I go up to the pool and there are 4 of the caddies from my regular group in swimwear.  Nice.  So I had to buy them some food and drink.  Wouldn't be proper to let the poor dears starve.  ????

On 1/4/2022 at 11:09 AM, jimmybcool said:

I have to admit on the topic of caddies it fried my curds when I see a guy abusing their caddy.  Won't go into detail but came close to hurting a guy once who thought his 15 year old newbie caddy was supposed to compensate for his 28 handicap lack of skills. 

I was a caddie myself up to age 18, when retirement was compulsory. Completely agree abusing caddies is not on.

I was once hit with a golf club by a guy I was caddying for when I did not see where his ball went in the trees. Ex-army brigadier, choleric type, lousy golfer. I dropped his bag and walked off. I thought I might be fired by the caddiemaster, but never heard any more of it.

• Like 1