So who's made the classic New Year's Resolution to shed excess fat?

WaveHunter

As an American, after the month of overindulging in tasy (though perhaps not the healthiest foods) from Thanksgiving through to the end of the year, I always do a prolonged water fast to start the New Year.  It's not so much about losing excess fat but more about sort of "cleaning out the system" metabolically speaking; think of it as early "Spring house cleaning" for the body.

Anyone else making New Year's resolutions along these lines?

I started my new years resolution somewhere in november by first cleaning diet up, improving it in december and training better. Now in januari results are visible and I added my rower to my weight session.

Its been such a long time since i used the rower but i have now set myself the goal to row 20-25 minutes every day. So far I am at 17.5 minutes. Its not a physical thing but a mental thing. But i must say adding cardio to my better diet (banned sweet drinks completely) eating far more salad that i prepare myself. Actually prepare all my foods now. 

For me that is the only way to go, i must say im quite impressed with the speed of my change. Im already back to an OK state, now see if i can push my limits. 1 more month to get to a good state, then 1 or two more to my ultimate goal (one that i never really reached). But i am convinced the rowing every day will bring me there. I will even add more rowing if needed and som HIIT later one if i get stuck.

Finally shook off the covid blues and am mentally totally there. My rowing sessions are fun, first the rowing.. then lazying in the pool for 20-25 minutes (after that i get bored).

But at least it gives me some rays of sun and it does feel really good after a hard row. 

Im not one for new years resolutions, i take action when i feel things become too bad. Covid blues + the abundance of great foods in the center of BKK were a killer.

Been going to the Makro to buy salad and prepare it for 3-4 days as i was shocked by the prices of prepared salads from the shops. Its not that i cant afford it i just did not see the value for money. 

Edited by robblok
  • Like 1

On 1/9/2022 at 10:02 AM, robblok said:

I started my new years resolution somewhere in november by first cleaning diet up, improving it in december and training better. Now in januari results are visible and I added my rower to my weight session.

Its been such a long time since i used the rower but i have now set myself the goal to row 20-25 minutes every day. So far I am at 17.5 minutes. Its not a physical thing but a mental thing. But i must say adding cardio to my better diet (banned sweet drinks completely) eating far more salad that i prepare myself. Actually prepare all my foods now. 

For me that is the only way to go, i must say im quite impressed with the speed of my change. Im already back to an OK state, now see if i can push my limits. 1 more month to get to a good state, then 1 or two more to my ultimate goal (one that i never really reached). But i am convinced the rowing every day will bring me there. I will even add more rowing if needed and som HIIT later one if i get stuck.

Finally shook off the covid blues and am mentally totally there. My rowing sessions are fun, first the rowing.. then lazying in the pool for 20-25 minutes (after that i get bored).

But at least it gives me some rays of sun and it does feel really good after a hard row. 

Im not one for new years resolutions, i take action when i feel things become too bad. Covid blues + the abundance of great foods in the center of BKK were a killer.

Been going to the Makro to buy salad and prepare it for 3-4 days as i was shocked by the prices of prepared salads from the shops. Its not that i cant afford it i just did not see the value for money. 

For some, myself included, New Year's Resolutions simply are a tangible benchmark that's helpful with tasks one often puts off with the "I'll start tomorrow" mentality.

I second your enthusiasm about rowing machines.  Those things can be a really intense aerobic workout in minimum time, and it's a lot less stressful to the body (joints) than running. 

Personally I like cycling and swimming for aerobic conditioning, btu when I used to go to gyms I always liked using the rowing machine over other aerobic machines like treadmill or elliptical.

8 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

For some, myself included, New Year's Resolutions simply are a tangible benchmark that's helpful with tasks one often puts off with the "I'll start tomorrow" mentality.

I second your enthusiasm about rowing machines.  Those things can be a really intense aerobic workout in minimum time, and it's a lot less stressful to the body (joints) than running. 

Personally I like cycling and swimming for aerobic conditioning, btu when I used to go to gyms I always liked using the rowing machine over other aerobic machines like treadmill or elliptical.

I guess we are all different in how we set targets and how we diet and train. For me i do it when i am ready for it. I don't put things off. But i get how this might work for others.

Basically you should just do whatever you like best for cardio as its about consistancy not efficiency. The rower might be great but if you hate it your not going to do it. Training and exercise is highly individual. If i had a treadmill i might have been running instead of rowing.

But i got a rower and its really hard both physically and mentally but yes its low impact on joints. But i have been in a state of permanent muscle soreness. Maybe its a bit too much combined with my normal weightlifting program. I had expected it to go away. 

Normally if i lift weights and start over i have a week or two week of muscle soreness and then only once in a while. Now i have it all the time. But the results are great so im not stopping.

I think cardio is important in any fitness program. Its just that i hate it and have always neglected it.

2 minutes ago, robblok said:

I guess we are all different in how we set targets and how we diet and train. For me i do it when i am ready for it. I don't put things off. But i get how this might work for others.

Basically you should just do whatever you like best for cardio as its about consistancy not efficiency. The rower might be great but if you hate it your not going to do it. Training and exercise is highly individual. If i had a treadmill i might have been running instead of rowing.

But i got a rower and its really hard both physically and mentally but yes its low impact on joints. But i have been in a state of permanent muscle soreness. Maybe its a bit too much combined with my normal weightlifting program. I had expected it to go away. 

Normally if i lift weights and start over i have a week or two week of muscle soreness and then only once in a while. Now i have it all the time. But the results are great so im not stopping.

I think cardio is important in any fitness program. Its just that i hate it and have always neglected it.

LOL!  EVERYBODY hates cardio!  Show me a person who loves cardio and I'll show you a liar ????

Like you say, the trick is to find something you enjoy that has cardio aspects to it (like swimming or cycling for me) and then you can endure the unpleasant cardio-like aspects of your sport.

• Like 1

Seems not many made new years resolutions to lose weight. Either everyone is in perfect shape or they just don't care.

I guess the latter, not judging here a healthy lifestyle certainly takes time and (some) fun out of things. 

Besides with money in your wallet you can do what you want in Thailand.