I’ve never seen a Thai person reading a book

Dave Dave

It’s just an observation I thought I’d make after living here for 4 years

Would anyone like to comment, thanks 

ps I go into some sort of coffee shop most days, you know the kind of place where you might expect to see someone reading a book for leisure 

Edited by Dave Dave
  • Like 1
  • Confused 3

Quite dependent on the Thai circles and company one keeps - 

As well as a broader exposure and experience one has with Thais, in general. 

Certainly could cast most anything with a broad brush and limited unveiling. 

• Like 1

You almost never see any Thai person reading an actual book on the BTS. I'd say 95% are staring mindlessly at their phones. Some may be reading an e-book but mostly it just seems to be social media. On the Tube in London you still see a fair number of people reading actual books, but it's a dwindling number.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Pravda said:

Yeah... I think you're a barstool crawler too. Otherwise why would you make such a dumb op?

Try going to B2S, kinokuniya, SE-ED.....you'll see plenty of Thais reading.

Actually your quite right when i lived in Bangyai and went to the big mall i often went to B2S its full of books and plenty of Thais buying and reading books. So they probably don't read them where the OP is but it does show Thais read otherwise these companies would not be existing. 

• Like 2

Lack of reading by thais directly reflects lack of knowledge on world affairs…

asked to buy book markers at a Thai book store the other day , didn’t sell or give them away with sales….

so they buy books for show but in reality don’t read them?

Edited by cardinalblue
  • Confused 4

thai people are doing their readings in hiding, usually at home in their private rooms.

it is a cultural thing. unlike in the arrogant west, where people go out to cafe and bars

and read books asif to show the whole world "look i am reading a book", the humble thais

are reserving their reading to the quiet and private times they spend at hope, with or without

their families.

• Haha 1

Many years ago I often took books with me when I traveled. And then later an eBook.

Now I still use an eBook at home but when I am travel i.e. in the MRT I read on my smartphone.

There are few reasons these days to walk around with a book - not only for Thais.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Most of us have.

Libraries are a thing of the past, now you can download your books.

Spend loads of time in the library when younger, now not so much downloading books is indeed much easier. 

That Thais do not read books is a racist trop that goes along with they are lazy and do not laugh. Thais do the same things that every other person in the universe does. I have read this and and the other two as well over the years I have been here.

• Thanks 1

Just now, BritManToo said:

Most of us have.

Libraries are a thing of the past, now you can download your books.

Actually bookshops, libraries and book sales are not thing of the past at all. What you assert is just a myth. Many people read both paper and digital books. I only  delve into my digital  collection  when the paper book is not available  or is too expensive. In the  UK library  membership  allows  you access to their digital and audio  book collection  wherever  you are in the  world. Digital  versus paper books is not a binary choice either in consumer or distribution  terms.

• Like 2

Just now, The Hammer2021 said:

Actually bookshops, libraries and book sales are not thing of the past at all. What you assert is just a myth. Many people read both paper and digital books. I only  delve into my digital  collection  when the paper book is not available  or is too expensive. In the  UK library  membership  allows  you access to their digital and audio  book collection  wherever  you are in the  world. Digital  versus paper books is not a binary choice either in consumer or distribution  terms.

Not me, I gave up my 1,000+ fiction collection when I left for Thailand.

Been fully digital since then,

Had a Nook ...... it broke.

Had an early Kindle ....... died from fat battery.

Read on my phone ........ hurt my eyes.

Now on a newer Kindle .......... best of the bunch.

All fiction, free from Z Library and Mobilism.

But I'm not a Thai, so it doesn't count in this thread which is about Thais reading.

Never seen a Thai reading a novel for pleasure on any medium.

Maybe having no spaces puts them off?

• Haha 2