how to care for golden barrel cactus?

ilikethai

How to water golden barrel cactus?  Care? Full sun?  Etc.  Hello I just bought 3 large coconut size ones and 5 small apple size ones and all of them are in clay pots. I also bought other varieties.  I've been moving them inside and outside everyday.  My goal is to make them grow fast.  example see pic. Thanks

4+Inch+Golden+Barrel+Cactus+(2).jpg

They are relatively easy to care for. Do not over water as this leads to rot. The plants should be planted in well draining medium. Apparently, it does not like full southwestern sun in hot summer. Otherwise, just leave it outdoors. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, drtreelove said:

Djayz comments are right on.

Here's some links with useful information:

https://cactiguide.com/

See "Desert Cacti" with soil and water tips on this page:

Grow Cacti -Tips on Growing Cacti On-line Guide to the positive identification of Members of the Cactus Family (cactiguide.com)

On-line Guide to the positive identification of Members of the Cactus Family (cactiguide.com)

Golden Barrel Cactus Plant: How To Grow A Golden Barrel Cactus (gardeningknowhow.com)

I recommend that you consider altering your goal of making them grow fast, to providing best growing conditions, soil and water managment for optimum health and growth at their own pace.  

Thankyou.  this might be a stupid question.  So those guides pertain to Thailand as well?

On 1/4/2022 at 3:09 PM, djayz said:

They are relatively easy to care for. Do not over water as this leads to rot. The plants should be planted in well draining medium. Apparently, it does not like full southwestern sun in hot summer. Otherwise, just leave it outdoors. 

Southwestern sun as in late afternoon sun direction? 

21 hours ago, ilikethai said:

Thankyou.  this might be a stupid question.  So those guides pertain to Thailand as well?

Yes and no. Being an arid native species, you might to take caution during the rainy season and keep them uncover yet exposed to daily sunlight. As you might know already, numerous non-native succulents and cacti don't take well to high moisture and humidity content - as most varieties are potted and can be moved and placed accordingly. Most grow at their own pace. Don't rush it. 

Good luck.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/5/2022 at 7:00 PM, ilikethai said:

A lot of things are different here, including plant care. Outside of the rainy season my cactus (and other plants that we are generally told can easily rot) get plenty of water, the heat is so intense they never have time to rot. Even during the rainy season I don't worry too much.