E-mail Transfer Problem

Jamie

I recently had someone migrate all my information from my desktop to my new laptop. Now, when I open my e-mail, my antivirus software (McAfee) "scans" all the e-mail that has been migrated over. It takes several minutes before I am able to actually access my e-mail because of this scanning. When I check my different e-mail file folders, the same e-mail messages will be in there multiple times...like there is a hangup and the program keeps pulling the e-mails from somewhere over and over when I open my mail. I can't seem to figure out if it's an antivirus problem or if it's a glitch with Vista. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

I recently had someone migrate all my information from my desktop to my new laptop. Now, when I open my e-mail, my antivirus software (McAfee) "scans" all the e-mail that has been migrated over. It takes several minutes before I am able to actually access my e-mail because of this scanning. When I check my different e-mail file folders, the same e-mail messages will be in there multiple times...like there is a hangup and the program keeps pulling the e-mails from somewhere over and over when I open my mail. I can't seem to figure out if it's an antivirus problem or if it's a glitch with Vista. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

Are you using POP or IMAP for mail delivery?

You say there are multiple copies of the same emails, are these multiple copies in the same folder?

Have you tried tidying up afterwards, removing the multiples? It may well be that the person who backed up your mail inadvertently duplicated them several times and all you are seeing is the normal scan that mcafee makes but it's taking much longer due to the quantity of email?

I admit it's a shot in the dark I but it's the only thing I can think of right now, a quick google doesn't give any answers either sorry.

You say there are multiple copies of the same emails, are these multiple copies in the same folder?

Have you tried tidying up afterwards, removing the multiples? It may well be that the person who backed up your mail inadvertently duplicated them several times and all you are seeing is the normal scan that mcafee makes but it's taking much longer due to the quantity of email?

I admit it's a shot in the dark I but it's the only thing I can think of right now, a quick google doesn't give any answers either sorry.

Yes, the multiple e-mails were in the same folders. I did clean out the excess but it is still doing it. It only does it when I completely close out my mail. If I keep it open and do a "send/receive" it is fine.