Concerned Parent - Dengue Fever

dsys

The kid next door has come down with Dengue fever. We are up north, Phayao area mainly farming. Should i be soaking the kids with deet? Running to Bangkok or just chilling out?

just take the usual precautions of emptying all uncovered water vessels around the house (pot plants, old tyres etc), keep doors and windows covered with mozzie netting to keep the little suckers out.

i wouldnt be running to bkk, but i would be finding all water traps and getting rid of them.

There's plenty of dengue in Bangkok so running there won't help. These mosquitos breed in water close to the house, so follow Donna's advice. And apply repellent to exposed skin, especially before they play outside. It's a daytime mosquito.

The kid next door probably had hemorrghagic dengue which is a complicated form of the disease. Most dengue infections are not the hemorrghagic form and simple dengue is not dangerous (altho still far from fun...fever, chills, headache, joint pain etc).

BTW you are also at risk, so apply repellent too...Thais seldom get it as adults but farang do, having not been exposed in childhood.

The kid next door has come down with Dengue fever. We are up north, Phayao area mainly farming. Should i be soaking the kids with deet? Running to Bangkok or just chilling out?

Get a supply of the Boots own brand tropical strength repellent - in the grey spray can, its about 50% DEET - and stronger than anything else. Its expensive but worth a try. Spray your joints, wrists, etc twice a day and hope it works, because Dengue is no joke. Tim