Visa Run Company, Any Recommendations?

Fire

Can anyone recommend a good visa run company?

I just moved to Chiang Mai and need to do a visa run to the nearest border.

I have a 3 entries tourist visa.

Thank you for the reply.

How long does it take to do the whole trip?

What time should I take the bus out of Chiang Mai?

Should I also buy a return ticket from Mai Sai to Chiang Mai?

Should I buy the bus ticket a day before?

Anything I need to prepare when I get to Mai Sai? any other details I should know?

Take the first bus of the morning (VIP to Mae Sai), you may have to change at Chiang Rai. Upon arrival at Mae Sai walk over to the motorcycle taxis, hold up your passport (they'll understand) and they'll take you to the immigration office and wait while you get your exit stamp, then drop you off at the Burma border. Don't know the current price right now as I haven't done a Mae Sai run lately.

You can walk to Myanmar Immigration on the far side of the bridge and get a quick stamp and go back, or wander around Thachilek for awhile after obtaining a border pass and leaving your passport with them. Last time I went the cost of the stamp at Myanmar Immigration was 5 US dollars.

So long as you leave Mae Sai by mid afternoon you should be home early in the evening.

Edited by cdnvic

Thank you for the reply.

What time should I take the bus out of Chiang Mai?

Should I also buy a return ticket from Mai Sai to Chiang Mai?

Should I buy the bus ticket a day before?

If you want the 24 seat VIP bus, you should get a ticket in advance and find out what time they leave when you buy the ticket.

I would get a return ticket at the same time, but give yourself 1 1/2 hours to finish the visa formalities ( I always shop for cheap DVDs and CDs ) and get back to the bus station. I think that there is another 24 seat bus leaving around that time. :o

Edited by Ulysses G.

Take the first bus of the morning (VIP to Mae Sai), you may have to change at Chiang Rai. Upon arrival at Mae Sai walk over to the motorcycle taxis, hold up your passport (they'll understand) and they'll take you to the immigration office and wait while you get your exit stamp, then drop you off at the Burma border. Don't know the current price right now as I haven't done a Mae Sai run lately.

You can walk to Myanmar Immigration on the far side of the bridge and get a quick stamp and go back, or wander around Thachilek for awhile after obtaining a border pass and leaving your passport with them. Last time I went the cost of the stamp at Myanmar Immigration was 5 US dollars.

So long as you leave Mae Sai by mid afternoon you should be home early in the evening.

It's now $10 or 500 Baht at Myanmar Immigration, As this will be your first run i would suggest as many other posters have to use the VIP bus,When i done my first run i used this and it's easy, i booked an early departure from CM around 7/8 arrive Mai Sai around 12:30 caught the return bus at around 2 arrive back 6 to 6:30, sorry one more thing when you arrive at Mai Sai bus station you will need to get a sontail (red bus) just follow the other guys on the bus, this will take you all the way to immigration.

Enjoy

There is some very good advice posted, and I also strongly recommend the VIP bus leaving from Arcade bus station. The visa services and their mini-buses are horrible. If you are young and small they are unpleasant, if you are old and large they are miserable. They are always filled to capacity, the suspension system is usually shot and the air conditioning inadequate. If you can sit near the front it isn't too bad but if you sit in the back, where the effects of the worn out suspension and the hot, stuffy air is felt at its worse, you are in for a long and miserable day. If you are a little claustrophobic, as I am, you may find it unbearable. I had the back corner seat on my second visa run and was about to bail out of the trip on the first stop when a very kind young lady offered to switch her seat near the front with mine. I couldn't thank her enough! I also offered to buy her a beer but she had plans with more interesting company (imagine that). The only advantage of the visa services is that they will pick you up where you live, but it isn't worth it. I will never do the mini-bus again.

The cheapest and fastest for me has always been JACKS GOLF who leave from Sukumvit at 5am (most recommended) and 7am every day. Call 02 251 1946 for fee and information - they've been doing it for years, and their very efficient in taking care of this ever so cumbersome and stupid thing that we all must do. They need to get rid of this, but, until they do - go with Jacks Golf!

There is some very good advice posted, and I also strongly recommend the VIP bus leaving from Arcade bus station.

Remember to specify the 24 seater and a single seat if that is what you want.

The bigger VIP bus is not all that comfortable. :o

Hi

If your visa is a Multi Entry Non Immigration type O visa and you need a re-entry stamp for a further 90 days what would the procedure be for this at Mae Sai? :o

Very simple. Walk out of Thailand into Burma, pay the 500 baht Burmese fee, then walk back into Thailand. They will give you a 90 day stamp coming back in.

Hi

If your visa is a Multi Entry Non Immigration type O visa and you need a re-entry stamp for a further 90 days what would the procedure be for this at Mae Sai? :o

Very simple. Walk out of Thailand into Burma, pay the 500 baht Burmese fee, then walk back into Thailand. They will give you a 90 day stamp coming back in.

Hi

This will probaly sound really thick. Do I get off the bus before it crosses the border into Burma or just get off the bus in Burma and then walk back into Thailand? And if I do this will the bus let me back on? :D

The cheapest and fastest for me has always been JACKS GOLF who leave from Sukumvit at 5am (most recommended) and 7am every day. Call 02 251 1946 for fee and information - they've been doing it for years, and their very efficient in taking care of this ever so cumbersome and stupid thing that we all must do. They need to get rid of this, but, until they do - go with Jacks Golf!

Now we have the problem of getting from Chiang Mai to Sukhumvit and back again :o

They take baht but its 500 baht or 10 dollars and of course they are ripping you off as 340 baht or 10 dollars is what it should be but hey... if you can buy a 10 dollar note someplace this is the way to go..[

quote name=cdnvic' date='2007-06-11 00:41:31' post='1353638]

Did I read somewhere that they want US$ only now at the border, or will they still take the equivalent in baht?

Hi

Hi

This will probaly sound really thick. Do I get off the bus before it crosses the border into Burma or just get off the bus in Burma and then walk back into Thailand? And if I do this will the bus let me back on? :D

I won't fault you for being cautious; Burma has a well earned bad reputation. However the border run to Mae Sai is easy, barring the infrequent unexpected border closure. The bus will stop in Mae Sai two or three Km before the border. There will be songthaews and motorbikes waiting to take you to the border. They will take you to the Thai side of the border crossing. Take your passport and go through Thai immigration (follow the crowds), cross the bridge to the Burma side, follow the farang people to the office where Burmese passport control takes place, give them your passport and 500 baht or $10 U.S. (much cheaper, $10 is about 340 baht), let them take your picture, get your passport receipt (very important), and then go a few meters inside of Burma to shop for bootleg DVD's.

The only challenge here is to not follow the massive crowds of Thai people going to Burma for cheap shopping, they follow a different procedure. Getting in the Thai line won't get you into trouble, it will just be a waste of time.

On the return the Burmese border guards will guide you back to the office where you left your passport, they will give it back to you after you show your receipt, and then you cross the bridge back into Thailand, fill out the standard entry form, get your passport stamp (either tourist, multi-entry non-immigrant, or other), and you're back into Thailand. I've never had a problem, but it is still a good idea to make sure you received the correct stamp and date immediately after getting your passport back. Go one or two hundred meters straight down the main road of Mae Sai and you will see the songthaews waiting to take you back to the bus station on the left. I don't remember the price but it is cheaper than Chiang Mai.

Go one or two hundred meters straight down the main road of Mae Sai and you will see the songthaews waiting to take you back to the bus station on the left. I don't remember the price but it is cheaper than Chiang Mai.

It was 5 baht, but I haven't been for two years so the price might have risen.

Hi, I'm doing a visa run later this week so this is all very useful but I have a couple more questions:

How late do the buses go back to Chiang Mai?

Is it possible to stay overnight in Burma, or for a few days?

Can you go anywhere other than the border town?

Thanks

Hi, I'm doing a visa run later this week so this is all very useful but I have a couple more questions:

Thanks

It is my understanding the $10/500 baht visa is only good on the day issued and I think there are restrictions on how far into Burma you can go, but I don't know specifically what they are. Since you will be entering Burma about noon and have to leave before the border closes (around 4:00 or 5:00 p.m.) you can't get very far. To spend more time in Burma you need to get a different visa. A search of Thai Visa will probably find more info.

The 24 seat VIP bus I generally take leaves Mai Sae at 3:30 and gets back to Chiang Mai around 8:00 p.m.

Thanks

It is my understanding the $10/500 baht visa is only good on the day issued and I think there are restrictions on how far into Burma you can go, but I don't know specifically what they are. Since you will be entering Burma about noon and have to leave before the border closes (around 4:00 or 5:00 p.m.) you can't get very far. To spend more time in Burma you need to get a different visa. A search of Thai Visa will probably find more info.

The 24 seat VIP bus I generally take leaves Mai Sae at 3:30 and gets back to Chiang Mai around 8:00 p.m.

The $5 dollar visa used to be good for one day only (but not available anymore), to my best knowledge the 10$ you have to pay gives you more time in Myanmar (10 days or 2 weeks?) but you can only go as far as Kengtung.... so not fly to Mandalay or further.

Thanks

You could stop in Chiang Rai which is about 60kms short of Mai Sae, book in for a couple of nights, do the visa run the next day which would give you a lot more time to shop around on the Burma side of the border (Tachilek), stay in the two main shopping lanes, don't wander off; then have a look at Mai Sae before getting the bus back to Chiang Rai.

Chiang Rai is smaller and quieter than Chiang Mai but has a few pleasant tourist bars and restaurants.

I just got back from a visa run today, I bought DVDs, CDs and cheap Scotch. My Mrs bought clothes and raw cashew nuts. Thais love shopping in Mai Sae, they say it's the cheapest place in the region.

Chiang Rai is a VERY pleasant town.

I always spend a day or two there when doing a visa run. :D

Something to remember; there is a sign on the Thai Immigration window that says you must have 20,000 baht in cash if you have an O or B visa or 10,000 baht in cash if you have a tourist visa. This sign has been up for the past 6 years, and in all that time I have only been asked to show money once. But.... if they ask, and you don't have, you don't get back into the Kingdom. One friend was asked last year, didn't have the money, (did have credit cards and a Bangkok Bank ATM card, but were not acceptable,) had to run to a Burmese ATM and get cash, then hustle back to the border crossing to get back to the bus station on time for the bus back to Chiang Mai. It's far better to have the cash in your pocket and not need it, rather than need it and not have it.

As far as the VIP buses go, I always ask for seat A1. It's in the single seat row at the very front, and usually has an extended footwell so when you put your seat back, you can extend your legs out all the way. Very comfortable, and I'm usually fast asleep before we even leave town. However, this IS the death seat, so if you're worried about crashes, choose a different one. Having died a thousand times already, I don't worry about one more. :o