Any advice on wrapping a car

All the models of a SUV I am looking at are black. Hate the idea of owning a black car. Reminds me of a hearse. Is a wrap a good solution. They always look good when new but after three years?

I was quoted 65,000 for a metallic full wrap using Inozetek on a mid size SUV.

Why not buy a white one ? Surely there are just as many white ones.

Edit; just to say if you change the colour then you'll need to change that in the blue book at the transport office.

Edited by brianthainess
  • Like 2

I have wrapped 2 cars, the first one with a clear self healing PPF paint protection film, which was expensive about 70,000 baht, and the second one with a color change wrap only.

If you’re looking at a black car, you might like to consider a matt PPF that will give the car an interesting finish.

I am very happy with the color change wrap, which cost me about ฿32,000 however, my friend has just had his Chevrolet trailblazer painted from its original white to a blue metallic, it was cheaper than having a wrap and finish is superior. next time I will re-spray to change the color.  Changing the color in the blue book cost less than 100 baht..

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

I have wrapped 2 cars, the first one with a clear self healing PPF paint protection film, which was expensive about 70,000 baht, and the second one with a color change wrap only.

If you’re looking at a black car, you might like to consider a matt PPF that will give the car an interesting finish.

I am very happy with the color change wrap, which cost me about ฿32,000 however, my friend has just had his Chevrolet trailblazer painted from its original white to a blue metallic, it was cheaper than having a wrap and finish is superior. next time I will re-spray to change the color.  Changing the color in the blue book cost less than 100 baht..

Yes a respray would be a better solution so long as you can find a good garage to do the job

2 hours ago, brianthainess said:

Why not buy a white one ? Surely there are just as many white ones.

Edit; just to say if you change the colour then you'll need to change that in the blue book at the transport office.

Its a Mercedes and they offer only two colours, black and white. And most Thais choose black.

• Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, pj123 said:

And most Thais choose black.

Because they are as thick as a brick.  Hotter and harder to keep clean, but they all want to look, like gangsters, hence the illegal heavy tinting.  Pathetic. 

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 2

11 minutes ago, pj123 said:

Yes a respray would be a better solution so long as you can find a good garage to do the job

9 minutes ago, pj123 said:

Its a Mercedes and they offer only two colours, black and white. And most Thais choose black.

We are fortunate to have a body shop in Chiang Rai that is both good and cheap.

Start with black if you are going to wrap it as the door shuts etc will be unnoticeable. My car was white to start unfortunately, now it’s FrozenBerry.

Mercedes PHEV’s are stunning cars and well worth the premium over the diesel variants.

Interestingly, Tesla sell black cars here as standard but in Malaysia it’s white.  You pay 50,000 baht extra to have the white in Thailand or the black in Malaysia. I call that sharp practice.

IMG_0045.jpeg

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

We are fortunate to have a body shop in Chiang Rai that is both good and cheap.

Start with black if you are going to wrap it as the door shuts etc will be unnoticeable. My car was white to start unfortunately, now it’s FrozenBerry.

Mercedes PHEV’s are stunning cars and well worth the premium over the diesel variants.

Interestingly, Tesla sell black cars here as standard but in Malaysia it’s white.  You pay 50,000 baht extra to have the white in Thailand or the black in Malaysia. I call that sharp practice.

IMG_0045.jpeg

Looks good

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Doctor Tom said:

Because they are as thick as a brick.  Hotter and harder to keep clean, but they all want to look, like gangsters, hence the illegal heavy tinting.  Pathetic. 

I agree re the tinting.  Some of it is beyond pathetic. Can't see through these vehicles to check what's in front/side/wherever. 

Sister in Law has a silver/mirror type tint on all her windows, hate it. Poorly applied as well, bubbles everywhere. 

Re the wrap... I'd probably look at a respray.  Paintwork here and in the Philippines is pretty good. 

• Agree 1

17 hours ago, brianthainess said:

Then choose a white one......

The white ones are hard to find and get snapped up quickly and they are more expensive.  I get the impression that Thais dont want black either when it comes to used cars

21 hours ago, pj123 said:

Hate the idea of owning a black car

I agree, I had a black HRV a few years ago, black attracted the dust it always looked dirty. 

The Royal family have black cars, Thai's buy black to look rich. 

9 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

But cheaper than getting a wrap I would imagine.

Peal white, I think it was 60000 baht extra, back 2013, probably same price to wrap. 

Why would I want to wrap, I wanted white so I had to pay Toyota extra for white. 

On 4/19/2024 at 10:45 AM, dddave said:

I'm curious as to how long wraps can last under the tropical sun before cracking and color shift?  Does one have to cover the car when parked for long periods?

If parked under the sun daily, best to remove after 2 years. If parked under the shade, safest is to remove after 3.

If you keep it over 3 years, potential damage to the paint increases exponentially if you try to remove the wrap.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1