What kind of ride share (like Uber, Lyft, etc) is best in Phuket?

ppatrick

Hi,

I'm coming to Phuket by end of this month. The hotel (The Marina Phuket Hotel) that I made the reservation had an option of paying 900 Baht for a ride from the airport to the hotel. Based on google map, it would be a 45 min ride. I've traveled to Bangkok a million times and always use Taxi. Unless the taxi rate is wildly different in Phuket, a 45 min ride shouldn't cost 900 Baht. In Bangkok, it would be around 300 Baht. Does 900 Baht charge sound right to you (who live in Phuket or know the rate)? If it's not, which route should I go? ride share or Taxi? Please advise.

Thanks.

Not sure about ride share services, but a few months ago I paid 800 baht for pickup and 700 for the return (I added a +100 tip to that) between the airport and Patong.  On arrival if you are entering under the sandbox program I think you have to use an SHA-Plus certified transport from the airport, normally arranged by your hotel.  I had read that 800 is the customary rate but some hotels charge 1100 or more. 

900 sounds ballpark/low-end reasonable for an airport pickup where someone waits for you with your name on a sign.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, ChrisP24 said:

Not sure about ride share services, but a few months ago I paid 800 baht for pickup and 700 for the return (I added a +100 tip to that) between the airport and Patong.  On arrival if you are entering under the sandbox program I think you have to use an SHA-Plus certified transport from the airport, normally arranged by your hotel.  I had read that 800 is the customary rate but some hotels charge 1100 or more. 

900 sounds ballpark/low-end reasonable for an airport pickup where someone waits for you with your name on a sign.

Thanks for the info. Did you pay that 800 Baht to the taxi or another hotel shuttle? So, this price include someone waiting at the airport with name on a sign? Interesting ????

12 hours ago, ChrisP24 said:

On arrival if you are entering under the sandbox program I think you have to use an SHA-Plus certified transport from the airport, normally arranged by your hotel.

Exactly. And the OP sounds like coming from abroad to sandbox?

No choice.

For other purposes: I used BOLT with mixed experience/game of luck.

Airport to Patong price shown 430. Driver call me "500!". Hmm. (wrote a complaint later). Took at least 10 min for him to understand that I am at domestic which I wrote/told more than once. Riding in a pimped orange colored limo.

Driving was OK but driver had his mobile signals on full volume. "Ting tong" every minute at least.

Annoying.

Hotel to Airport, 7:30 AM, misc failed attempts to get one moving for 530 Baht (without any feedback). Three times I cancelled.

After more than 15 min a good van came and it was a fine ride and driver. Gave him 600.

Not saved much and having extra hassle.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 2

Try "Grab".

Funny enough its still overpriced.

Overpriced and Phuket go hand in hand.

If your there for long and you plan on exploring just a little rent a car.

Come and go as you please, and its not to expensive.

Great beaches!

Enjoy!

Edited by MrJ2U
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Riding in a pimped orange colored limo

LMAO at "pimped orange color limo" ????

Yes I'm coming from abroad. Thanks for the info. So the regular price is around 500 Baht. The SHA+ certified is double that amount. They probably only spray some alcohol and spend a few minutes to rub the seat inside for the SHA+ certified ones. Man, that's a good way to make an extra 500 Baht in a few minutes ????

18 hours ago, ChrisP24 said:

The 800 baht for pickup I paid to the hotel as an add-on fee at time of booking.  It turned out to be a minivan and the driver had a sign with my name when exiting the airport.   I was the only passenger.  Very smooth and well worth the cost, especially considering that it is a round trip for the driver with a fare-paying passenger on only one leg of that.   Mentally I scored the hotel up a couple of notches inasmuch as they didn't try to inflate the price. 

Thanks for the details. My hotel increases the transportation charges based on the number of passengers:

* 900 baht per way for 1-2 passengers

* 1,200 baht per way for 3 passengers

* 1,500 baht per way for 4-6 passengers

Hmm...

10 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

Try "Grab".

Funny enough its still overpriced.

Overpriced and Phuket go hand in hand.

Thanks for the info. Do you know whether Grab has SHA+ certified rides? I'm coming for the Sandbox program. Someone here told me that I need to use the SHA+ certified transportation.

My final destination is Bangkok. So I'll be in Phuket for 7 days and probably not renting a car (thanks for the advice though). I speak Thai fluently (native level). Maybe I'll try to call the hotel to chat with them to see if I could get a better deal. I know that the "farang price gouging" is real.

• Like 1

I was in the Sandbox in October.

I recommend you coordinate with your hotel.

They will ensure everything is certified so they release you at the airport.

Afterwards, I recommend you use a fairly new app, called "inDrive."

It is fairly new and it is much cheaper than Grab.

I used it in October and this month and they are at least 25% less expensive than Grab.

I paid 349 baht to go from Kalima Resort in Patong to the airport.

Not a typo.  349 baht but i give the driver 400.

Edited by PoodThaiMaiDai
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, ppatrick said:

Thanks for the info. Do you know whether Grab has SHA+ certified rides? I'm coming for the Sandbox program. Someone here told me that I need to use the SHA+ certified transportation.

My final destination is Bangkok. So I'll be in Phuket for 7 days and probably not renting a car (thanks for the advice though). I speak Thai fluently (native level). Maybe I'll try to call the hotel to chat with them to see if I could get a better deal. I know that the "farang price gouging" is real.

Expensive hotel... Cheap Charlie taxi??? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ppatrick said:

I've never heard about SHA certified drivers.

Be interesting what they say.

Whatever you find theres hopefully everything you need close by for that first week and won't need to avail for special taxis.

Perhaps a scooter?

16 hours ago, PoodThaiMaiDai said:

Afterwards, I recommend you use a fairly new app, called "inDrive."

It is fairly new and it is much cheaper than Grab.

I used it in October and this month and they are at least 25% less expensive than Grab.

Thanks for the nice tip! Your screen name made me smile though ????

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Olmate said:

Expensive hotel... Cheap Charlie taxi??? 

My Phuket hotel is cheap compared to Bangkok. However the Phuket transportation is expensive (again compared to Bangkok). I based what is "expensive or cheap" when comparing to Bangkok ???? which doesn't mean it's correct. However that's the only reference I have in Thailand.