Cannabis in Thailand

251482470_2308820202582342_8233599348093638082_n-1170x830.jpg

It is said that approximately 70% of the inmates in Thai prisons are there for drug related cases but recently the dreaded weed has been receiving some good press and rave reviews for it’s medicinal uses. From cancer to cerebral palsy, acute and chronic pain, insomnia and stress, mental health, Alzheimer’s, glaucoma, arthritis, epilepsy, multiple sclerosis, Parkinson’s, Crohn’s disease, relieving muscle spasms, bowel diseases. The list goes on and on…

Following on from our recent Regenerative fibres: High on hemp article written by Aparna Sharma Expat Life recently interviewed Dr. Kan Na who leads a team of doctors at the Thaikanya Clinic in Hua Hin in the province of Prachaup Khiri Khan. 

Dr. Na learnt her trade from her mother Dr. Somkhuan who had been using Thai herbs and spices to practice Thai traditional medicine for many years and as the laws have changed rapidly in Thailand they now see a range of Thai and international patients for both, face to face and online consultations.

They have developed a wide range of products – tea, coffee, creams, balms, spa products and just yesterday I received a press release from Anantara promoting ‘Anantara Spa launches first cannabis infused treatment menu in Thailand’. So if one the leading hospitality providers in Thailand is openly advertising its use – it must have healing properties.

Full Story: https://expatlifeinthailand.com/health-and-beauty/cannabis-in-thailand/

expat-life-logo3.png
-- © Copyright Expat Life in Thailand 2022-01-14

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

• Haha 2

48 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Not sure what is risky or murky. These places sell CBD cannabis products, 100% legal.

Its not THC cannabis that gets you stoned, that is illegal.

They do some creative marketing and labeling, trying to make out its THC cannabis, but its not.

Exactly, Very true.

1 hour ago, Peterw42 said:

Not sure what is risky or murky. These places sell CBD cannabis products, 100% legal.

Thought there were Laws for Thai's and then Laws for Farang. Farang aren't allowed CBD under Thai law; illegal for Farang.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

My nephew, along with a group of friends were charged with simple posession of pot a couple of years ago near CM.  They were given two options, jail or pay a $500 fine.  They all paid the fine.  Still, I would discourage anyone from partaking until it's clear what the law intended.  Kinda murky right now.

• Like 1

Is this a joke? So much wrong information from a doctor. Obviously she just want to sell her products...

CBD or hemp tea won't have any effect as the molecules won't be extracted or dissolved in water.

The hemp seed oil packaging size is so cute. How much is it? 5ml for 500 baht? Outside Thailand a 250ml bottle sells for 200 Baht. 

And the THC CBD 1:1 oil? How is it made? Is it FDA approved and with label how much mg of CBD and THC inside?

As much as I dislike government authorities but I would say the GPO products are the only trustworthy on the market at the moment. You can get them at authorised hospitals and clinics. Anything else is snake oil

3 hours ago, mvdf said:

This is a murky and risky area for foreigners which could open a Pandora's box of serious legal issues. When it comes to drugs, just don't do it in a country with draconian laws.  

Yep.  You go to a restaurant and there you order a coffee with a marijuana leaf in it, and a lunch entree with marijuana leaves adorning it, and then order a cup of cannabis tea and cookies topped with marijuana leaves.  And later that night you buy and smoke a spiff with a friend - then the cops show up lights ablazing, make you pee in a bottle ("purple!!! - you bad person, smoke ganja"), get arrested, thrown in jail and eventually deported.

It's a Pandora's Box with the government itself advertising how wonderful it all is and how wonderfully liberal Thailand is too.
"Look!!!  Cannabis Leaf Salad!!!"

But it ain't!  Those mixed message will get good people thrown into Thai jail on drug charges - I guarantee, unless Thailand decriminalized ganja use. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IAMHERE said:

Thought there were Laws for Thai's and then Laws for Farang. Farang aren't allowed CBD under Thai law; illegal for Farang.

That's complete tosh.  If you qualify, you can obtain CBD at a Thai cannabis clinic for medical ganja. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, connda said:

Yep.  You go to a restaurant and there you order a coffee with a marijuana leaf in it, and a lunch entree with marijuana leaves adorning it, and then order a cup of cannabis tea and cookies topped with marijuana leaves.  And later that night you buy and smoke a spiff with a friend - then the cops show up lights ablazing, make you pee in a bottle ("purple!!! - you bad person, smoke ganja"), get arrested, thrown in jail and eventually deported.

It's a Pandora's Box with the government itself advertising how wonderful it all is and how wonderfully liberal Thailand is too.
"Look!!!  Cannabis Leaf Salad!!!"

But it ain't!  Those mixed message will get good people thrown into Thai jail on drug charges - I guarantee, unless Thailand decriminalized ganja use. 

I think in all honesty if your pee turned purple it wasn't from the coffee, lunch or cookies ???? but I would use that as my defence ????

29 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

BS I know falangs that have been prescribed oil.

GPO oils, right?

https://www.gpo.or.th/view/21

https://www.gpo.or.th/all/กัญชา/clinic

And hopefully they use it as prescribed, sublingually. Seen a few here crowing about "smoking" dodgy oils, also meant to be applied under the tongue. Vegetable or olive oils are used as carriers.

This article references one of a new CBD normalization efforts promoted by the regime. These are part of the Food, Health & Beauty, Wellness segments.

Snake oil-ish. Or is it Snake-oily?

Totally unrelated to Cannabis (THC > 0.2%) which remains illegal to grow, distribute, consume without significant government approvals and oversight.

No clue what the OP is on about here? I mean other than shilling for some herb "doctor".

The penalties are harsh for cannabis, like 5 years, but seriously doubt any (growers/smokers) are incarcerated for much more than 90 days, unless found transporting 50 Kg bricks from Nakhon Phanom to Bangkok.

• Like 1