Forum upgrade in progress! ×

Retirement Extension Checklist - Chiang Rai

Tuvoc

My first 1 year extension finishes mid-February so I want to do this next week. Last time was Chonburi so this is the first at this particular office. Is it:

Completed TM7

1900 baht

Passport

Copies of passport pages, signed

Copy of TM6

Passport photo x 2

Bank book

Copies of bankbook pages

Bank letter

Proof of address ?  (so my wife's Tabian Ban and marriage certificate)

Is that it ?  Does this office require 12 months of bank statements (which from Bangkok Bank I understand takes a week to get)

I'll get a re-entry permit as well following the extension.

I may have to pay 2000 baht fine for lack of 90 day report before I left for the UK earlier in June last year. I tried to do it in Mae Sai in May but they refused to accept it, saying I had to do it back in Chonburi - even though they had just accepted the TM30 for change of address before telling me this. Maybe I struck an IO on a bad day, but I'm not keen on that office now, so there are two to choose from in Chiang Rai province about the same distance from us.

Edited by Tuvoc

All went smoothly, no mention of any missing 90-day report and no questions at all actually. They just took all the paperwork for the extension and the re-entry permit, called me to sign all the passport copy pages, and took the 1900 baht and 3800 baht payment and job done. Yes it was  a 2 hour long queue but it could have been worse I guess. I came away quite impressed with how smooth it was - at the bank firstly and then straight on to immigration after that.

Edited by Tuvoc
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 11 months later...

Another year has gone by, time to do my extension next week. In on Monday, will have to return to pick up the passport a day or two later, and then fly out of the country Friday. With a re-entry permit as well. Hopefully it will go as smoothly this time and nothing has changed. I got great service last time, I think a lot depends on the particular IO that you get on the day. Yeah I was there 3 hours or so, that is a given.

• 6 months later...

I'm currently in the UK with my Thai wife and  returning to our home in Chaing Rai later this month.  I want to apply for a yearly visa extension and want to go the retirement rather than marriage route..  My problem is that whereas Bt800,000 in the bank is no problem, I understand that for retirement extension, a medical insurance is now a requirement. At 84 year old, such insurance is almost find or extortionaly expensive.  An online quote I received was well in excess of £10,000p.a.

Does anybody know if there are there any visa agents in Chiang Rai that can "overcome" this problem with Chiang Rai immigration

I don't think there are any visa agents in Chaing Rai. Closest is Chiang Mai.

The Non-OA that you obtain abroad has an insurance requirement but the standard in-country Non-O does not. What is your current status ?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, My Paradice Lost said:

I'm currently in the UK with my Thai wife and  returning to our home in Chaing Rai later this month.  I want to apply for a yearly visa extension and want to go the retirement rather than marriage route..  My problem is that whereas Bt800,000 in the bank is no problem, I understand that for retirement extension, a medical insurance is now a requirement. At 84 year old, such insurance is almost find or extortionaly expensive.  An online quote I received was well in excess of £10,000p.a.

Does anybody know if there are there any visa agents in Chiang Rai that can "overcome" this problem with Chiang Rai immigration

LMG has special insurance plans for this. They are low cost and extremely low benefit, designed to meet the Immigration department's requirements but don't provide meaningful insurance benefits. Several expats in Chiang Rai have used them.

https://www.lmginsurance.co.th/en/long-stay-visa-plus

Edited by FarangRimPing

Come in on non-visa entry and convert to Non IM for retirement after arrival.  I did hid last year and it was simple.  Just went to  I/O with 'non-visa' an asked to convert.  Initial extension to 90 day Non IM and ten final retirement ext.  No problems and no questions about insurance.

• Confused 1

On 8/11/2023 at 10:33 AM, Robin said:

Come in on non-visa entry and convert to Non IM for retirement after arrival.  I did hid last year and it was simple.  Just went to  I/O with 'non-visa' an asked to convert.  Initial extension to 90 day Non IM and ten final retirement ext.  No problems and no questions about insurance.

Only required for an Extension based on an O-A Permission,  The in-country conversions are into a Non-Imm O. 

On 8/11/2023 at 8:04 AM, FarangRimPing said:

LMG has special insurance plans for this. They are low cost and extremely low benefit, designed to meet the Immigration department's requirements but don't provide meaningful insurance benefits. Several expats in Chiang Rai have used them.

https://www.lmginsurance.co.th/en/long-stay-visa-plus

Poster is older than the 80 years that policy requires for entry.

If marriage is real that extension should not be difficult - few photos and copies of documents more and a 30 day under review.  But a plus is any bank deposit money is available to use 9 months of the year - unlike retirement - and total is less.