Thailand reports 6,929 new COVID-19 cases, 13 deaths, 5,255 recoveries

webfact

COV17ThaiPBS.jpg

Thai PBS file photo

Thailand on Monday (January 17) reported 6,929 new COVID-19 cases, 5,255 recoveries and 13 additional deaths over the past 24 hours. 

▶︎ Infections outside prisons: 6,720. Prisons: 209

▶︎ Recoveries: 5,225

Monday’s cases bring the total number of COVID-19 infections in Thailand to 2,331,414 with 21,938 deaths.

The news comes as the health office in the southern province of Songkhla has reported its first fatality from Omicron variant today (Sunday). The patient died at the Hat Yai Hospital on Wednesday.

The patient was a bed-ridden 86 year old woman who suffered from Alzheimer’s disease. She had received two doses of the Pfizer vaccine at Na Mom Hospital and was thought to have contracted COVID-19 from her grandson, who had returned from Phuket.

Discover Cigna’s range of health insurance solutions created for expats and local nationals living in Thailand - click to view

Asean-now_Covid-Dashboard-Stats-Graphic-Template-Thailand-(update17JAN).png

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-01-17

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information

27 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

PCR test positive cases, total of 6,929 official new infections. 13 official covid deaths recorded.

Rapid tests positive cases, 1,740 bringing the total of PCR and ATK results to 8,669

https://ddc.moph.go.th/covid19-dashboard/

Rolling 7 day average chart (up to 14th Jan)

https://ourworldindata.org/coronavirus/country/thailand

image.png.d99dfeacc00201b3ff7c352ed1a6f2d7.png

image.png.bf8b228c176bff289b9f514c305a89a0.png

Another Monday decrease in the numbers including a reduction in ATK test positive it would appear. 

On another note, I just got a call from a friend in the Philippines who was set to fly out tonight (17th) his time but tomorrow my time as it is still the 16th here.  His flight has been rescheduled so instead of leaving on the 17th at 2350 hours as he was supposed to he now flies at 0040 on the 18th.  Of course this negates his one day prior to flying PCR/ATK/Antigen Covid test the US wants and he is now headed to the lab, and hopes he can get the results in time by using expedited as his flight leaves in 15 hours.  Funny thing is he just received his test results from yesterdays test 30 minutes before he called me with the news.  To say the least he is <deleted> off.  40 minutes after midnight and its not counted within 1 day even though its still within a 48 hour period.

• Like 1

i've spent alot of time in the bar/restaurant areas around sukhumvit (nana, cowboy, soi 7, etc..), mainly outdoor areas, front patios, etc....  alot of the thais i talk with have had the virus already, they got delta when it hit and have since been vaxxed or they got vaxxed and had omicron in the last couple weeks.  bar managers have also been infected.  i'm not sure how much longer this can go before everyone has had it.  there was a time when i didn't know anyone in thailand that had it and now it might be 70% know they had it 20% think they had it and 10% think they haven't had it.  fortunately none of those i've talked to have been severely ill.  i think mainly due to their age and/or they were vaxxed. 

edit:  i'm vaxxed (no booster) and i think i had omicron last week.  didn't test.  stayed home for 5 days, i had zero energy so it was easy to stay home.

Edited by buick
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Caldera said:

Omicron has met its master in the form of Teflon Thailand.

Seriously though, this Omicron "wave" here doesn't look like any other one anywhere else in the world!

I don't think Thailand has peaked. The next one and half month till end Feb will be testing time for Thailand. 

3 hours ago, Petey11 said:

We all know Thailand is not testing and people are not reporting home test positives. The tell tale will maybe be when the excess death figures are published .

Except we know that deaths from omicron are few, so the infection levels (which in all similar sized countries has reached well over 1%) will never be known. ATK tests are used widely yet the number of positive reports is considerably less than  those from PCR tests which suggests either a) the ATK tests don't work or b) +ve ATK results are not fully reported. Or both.

12 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Well apparently one of the 9 reasons Thailand has combated the Omicron wave over other countries is because people here have daily showers unlike those from the west? ????

Thailand’s Omicron wave ‘stabilising’ despite global surge

Chalermchai said Thailand’s success in preventing a sharp rise in cases came from a combination of nine measures.

These were: the work-from-home policy, ATK screening for employees who had to go into work, mandatory face masks for police and the public, eating meals separately, avoiding crowded or poorly ventilated areas, faster mass vaccination, tighter disease controls, taking daily showers and not hugging one another like Westerners, and warm weather compared to winter in Western nations.

https://www.nationthailand.com/in-focus/40011198

Back to the dirty farang narrative.

No doubt spraying bleach liberally all round the place is also another stroke of Thai genius.

Outdoor spaces, climate and age demographic all, no doubt, have an advantage with omicron.

However, Thailand's biggest advantage is they do virtually zero proactive testing.

To be honest, all this is largely irrelevant with a variant that presents as a sore throat and bad cold for the vast majority of vaccinated people.

Omicron does not seem to replicate in the lungs and is a truly mild disease.

UK cases, in a country doing 1.4 million reported tests per day, are falling off a cliff.

Down from 120,000 to 80,000 in a couple of days.

Virtually all restrictions are to be lifted in England on 26th January.

With no travel testing required on return to the UK.

With luck, this pandemic is drawing to a close, with the UK being one of the first countries out the other side.

Meanwhile, after nearly 2 years of zero tourism, the best Thailand can do is talk about a return to Test-Wait-Maybe-Go-Hospital in the second half of 2022.

It's pathetic, open BKK and resume normal service.

6 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Looks like they are discussing putting Test N Go back in play as well....

Must be taking a page from Australia's new play book called "Let it Rip".

They ought to just get rid of it. UK more than likely to get rid of all testing for people entering the country if fully vaccinated, which may mean including the booster.

6 minutes ago, Petey11 said:

They ought to just get rid of it. UK more than likely to get rid of all testing for people entering the country if fully vaccinated, which may mean including the booster.

So your advocating no restrictions as long as vaccinated? That would be a first for Thailand 

I don't know why anyone even bothers to report cases anymore.  It's meaningless for all sorts of reasons.  The only thing that matters is hospitalizations.  We usually don't hear nearly as much about that.  I wasn't able to find that info for Thailand but the death rate is way down.

Edited by shdmn

COVID-19: Thailand reports 6,397 new coronavirus cases 18, deaths, 6,637 recoveries

COV18.jpg

File photo

Thailand on Tuesday (January 18) reported 6,397 new COVID-19 cases, 6,637 recoveries and 18 additional deaths over the past 24 hours. 

Full story: https://aseannow.com/topic/1247097-covid-19-thailand-reports-6397-new-coronavirus-cases-18-deaths-6637-recoveries/

//CLOSED//

/Admin