Split an Ethernet connection with a splitter or a switch?

Pinot

I have a new smart tv on the way. I currently have a single ethernet cable internet connection.  I want to hook the new smart tv to that ethernet cable along with the PC.

I understand that using a splitter inline will limit the internet connection to 100 Mbit? So, I should use a switch instead of splitter to avoid that. Is that correct? 

Any other issues I may have missed adding a Smart TV to my ethernet connection? 

Thanks for the help

1 minute ago, robblok said:

A switch can be had for around 500bt or so, id go that way but that is just me.

No, not you. Its the correct way.

A switch manages the flow of packets. Something like a TP-Link TG-SL105 is a good place to start.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Pinot said:

I understand that using a splitter inline will limit the internet connection to 100 Mbit? So, I should use a switch instead of splitter to avoid that. Is that correct? 

What is a splitter? As far as I know technically such a thing does not exist.

3 Options:

a) use WLAN and don't worry about cables (for your PC and/or TV)

b) use two separate cables from the router 

c) used one cable from the router to a switch, and then 2 separate cables from the switch each to the PC and the TV.

Just to be sure there is no misunderstanding: You can't use the same cable at the same time for the TV and the PC by splitting the wires and connecting them to two plugs.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Just to be sure there is no misunderstanding: You can't use the same cable at the same time for the TV and the PC by splitting the wires and connecting them to two plugs.

You actually can split 8 wire 5 CAT cable to have two 100mbit connections (they can work on 4 wires). Google it. Ofc, it will only work on short cables. 

Edited by clearance

2 minutes ago, clearance said:

You actually can split 8 wire 5 CAT cable to have two 100mbit connections (they can work on 4 wires). Google it. Ofc, it will only work on short cables. 

Yes, you can do that. But then the cable with 8 wires needs to be connected to 2 independent plugs with each 4 wires on each side. That is a lot of hassle if you don't really need to do that.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Pinot said:

I currently have a single ethernet cable internet connection. 

OP, can you give more information on this?  

No offense intended, but if your condo / house has a router, it will most probably have 4 LAN ports on the back of it.  If that's the case, one port has an ethernet cable going to your desktop, and you just need to buy another cable and plug it into a vacant LAN port in the back of the router and into your TV.  

If that's not the case, definitely get a simple plug and play switch.  Make sure it's an unmanaged switch, but they are usually quite expensive.  

• Confused 1

8 hours ago, Pinot said:

use a switch instead

Before that why don't you just connect through WiFi?

We've got a few big 65" Samsung Smart TV's and they're all connected to WiFi.

4k streaming with Netflix and YouTube.

But if you insist heres a switch.

Screenshot_20220118-214124.jpg

The TV supports WiFi.

The TV has a 100 Mbps ethernet port. (Most assume they have GbE.)

WiFi will likely far outperform ( ~ 500 Mbps) ethernet.

Maybe slow your roll?

20 hours ago, Pinot said:

I currently have a single ethernet cable internet connection. 

Do you have broadband? A service provider's router? Or is your internet access provided by someone else off a single ethernet cable? If this then yes, you'll need a hub/switch/router. Maybe get a WiFi router to spread the single ethernet connection?

Is that ethernet connection 100 Mbps or 1 Gbps?

More details on your network set-up would yield better recommendations.

Edited by mtls2005
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Pinot said:

Thanks boys

You should have a look at ethernet over power, I have my TVs on that. The ethernet source goes into a device plugged into the mains and then you have another device plugged into the mains adjacent to the TV. The devices have 2 ethernet ports and  are a pass through socket.

The devices I bought came in pairs but interchangeable, I bought 2 pairs as I have TVs in different rooms. Both TVs have an android box so the dual ports allow ethernet to both the TV and android box.

The other device I plan to use for the camera but not got round to that yet.

3 hours ago, sandyf said:

You should have a look at ethernet over power, I have my TVs on that. The ethernet source goes into a device plugged into the mains and then you have another device plugged into the mains adjacent to the TV. The devices have 2 ethernet ports and  are a pass through socket.

The devices I bought came in pairs but interchangeable, I bought 2 pairs as I have TVs in different rooms. Both TVs have an android box so the dual ports allow ethernet to both the TV and android box.

The other device I plan to use for the camera but not got round to that yet.

I tried using that did not work in the house i currently rent. The signal was just not good. So it does not always work everywhere. But its nice when it does.

59 minutes ago, robblok said:

I tried using that did not work in the house i currently rent. The signal was just not good. So it does not always work everywhere. But its nice when it does.

" The signal was just not good."

I fail to understand what you mean - what signal?

Unlike wi-fi, ethernet over powerline is physical data transmission via the power cables as opposed to an ethernet cable. The quality of the data is however dependent on the power lines being relatively free of electrical noise or other interference.

I take it you mean the data quality at the appliance in question was poor, which would be a reflection on the buildings electrics rather than the system not working.

Unfortunately it is only something you would only ever find out by giving it a try.

28 minutes ago, sandyf said:

" The signal was just not good."

I fail to understand what you mean - what signal?

Unlike wi-fi, ethernet over powerline is physical data transmission via the power cables as opposed to an ethernet cable. The quality of the data is however dependent on the power lines being relatively free of electrical noise or other interference.

I take it you mean the data quality at the appliance in question was poor, which would be a reflection on the buildings electrics rather than the system not working.

Unfortunately it is only something you would only ever find out by giving it a try.

Yes it was the electrical in the house, not sure how or why but its rented so not something i can do.

I thought to use it to go to the attic (4 story house) and that did not work.. it only worked (not even good) in the same room.

When i plugged it in it will give you a signal strength light (on the ones i had) it was weak because of faulty electric wiring (i assume)

• Like 1

22 hours ago, robblok said:

Yes it was the electrical in the house, not sure how or why but its rented so not something i can do.

I thought to use it to go to the attic (4 story house) and that did not work.. it only worked (not even good) in the same room.

When i plugged it in it will give you a signal strength light (on the ones i had) it was weak because of faulty electric wiring (i assume)

Yes mine are the same, you get a red, orange or green light for the data connection. They say to avoid using extension cables but for me that would have been inconvenient and have them at both ends. When I first tried it I got an orange light, tried another extension lead and went to green,  been ok since.

Problem is you do not know how the wiring gets between one socket and another, even in the same room. Thai wiring, particularly in older buildings, could very well be problematic. I am quite fortunate in that respect, I built the house and the electrician was very good. 

• Like 1

On 1/18/2022 at 1:48 PM, Boomer6969 said:

If his TV will be next to, or in the same room as his router he can connect through WIFI. Doesn't need anything, other than 2 or 3 minutes of setting up, but same same his smartphone.

@Pinot The above is what I have done with my Smart TV, and if you have a fibre optic supply (I got 3BB to install one) then the speed is great!!

I ended up just using wifi for the TV connection, so I didn't do anything. The tv was not near the router thus I wanted to use the PC's ethernet connection but in the end didn't need it. I don't really use the tv part of it.

Thanks for everyone's input. 

I'm now using a Xiaomi Mi TV 43" P1 model as my computer monitor and it's working beyond my expectations. Great for watching NFL, NBA and movies. I scaled back to 2160p and it's perfect for 4k and using the browser. 

Edited by Pinot