Hoping to record HDMI output from True set top box

gamb00ler

I want to time-shift shows that originate in US.

I have not found a source of torrents for these news oriented programs.

I have checked USTVGO but the quality and reliability are poor.

True Select has in the past sold a recorder (HD-TVR) but currently it is out of stock.

Asking their customer support staff more questions about future availability, etc. doesn't produce a satisfactory result.

I was told that the device is still listed as a product that they offer. 

I asked to be put on a waiting list or a callback .... not possible.

When will they be restocked.... worker doesn't know and no offer to pursue a more definitive answer.

I'm hoping to be able to find out the specs. of the recorder, such as how many shows can be recorded simultaneously, recording capacity, etc.

Anybody here have one of those seemingly rare devices?

Anybody using a 3rd party recorder instead of the True box?

Will I have to remove HDCP to succeed?

Edited by gamb00ler

You are looking for a PVR system.  Basically an external hard drive typically mounted in a single drive docking system with the proper plug to connect to the True box.  Top connector on back of the True box is eSATA POWER, and the BOTTOM connector you will use to connect you drive is labeled eSATA.  Your docking station will plug into a normal wall outlet.  A phone call to True will be needed to request they turn on the PVR function.  No service person is needed, all they need is your request by phone.  Not sure but one time I was told Power Buy stocked all the items needed for this.  I have a 1 gig drive, system can record two files at the same time although you may run into a conflict if 2 channels are recording at the same time you want to watch a 3rd channel.  Otherwise it works quite well.  Can't remember the name but there is a major electronic supplier in Hua Hin that can supply everything.    

Edited by dlclark97
add comment
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, dlclark97 said:

You are looking for a PVR system.  Basically an external hard drive typically mounted in a single drive docking system with the proper plug to connect to the True box.  Top connector on back of the True box is eSATA POWER, and the BOTTOM connector you will use to connect you drive is labeled eSATA.  Your docking station will plug into a normal wall outlet.  A phone call to True will be needed to request they turn on the PVR function.  No service person is needed, all they need is your request by phone.  Not sure but one time I was told Power Buy stocked all the items needed for this.  I have a 1 gig drive, system can record two files at the same time although you may run into a conflict if 2 channels are recording at the same time you want to watch a 3rd channel.  Otherwise it works quite well.  Can't remember the name but there is a major electronic supplier in Hua Hin that can supply everything.    

FYI, True has not supplied their PVR system for a few years.  I know it's still listed but unlikely to ever become available again.

• Like 1

You don't need the True HDD, you can use any HDD it just needs to be in a case that supports e-sata and sata cables as thats what comes from the True box. 

I have had this set up for years, it works somewhat OK, but I have lost all my recordings several times. 

You need the following. 
1. HDD in a case that supports e-sata. 
2. PVR subscription with True. 
3. USB thumb drive for pausing live TV. Don't know why you need the USB drive for pausing but you do. 

TBH its not worth it, its very out dated compared to Sky, Virgin etc. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HarrySeaman said:

Try YouTube.

PBS, NBC, CNN news, for instance, are on YouTube everyday.

Thanks, but what I see on YTube is only some short clips of the shows I'm seeking.  Posts from others are saying I don't need the DVR box, I can just add an external drive to the existing set top unit.

1 hour ago, misterphil said:

You don't need the True HDD, you can use any HDD it just needs to be in a case that supports e-sata and sata cables as thats what comes from the True box. 

I have had this set up for years, it works somewhat OK, but I have lost all my recordings several times. 

You need the following. 
3. USB thumb drive for pausing live TV. Don't know why you need the USB drive for pausing but you do. 

How do you get Sky or Virgin in Thailand?

4 hours ago, dlclark97 said:

I have plenty of drives laying around here and I have an e-SATA to SATA cable and a power adapter for the drive.  I'll have it all setup tomorrow.  I don't have the True box yet, but our son does so I'll have him call True and enable the recording.  I'll test on his True box.

I presume you meant you have a 1TB drive not a 1 gig drive.  How many hours of recordings does your drive hold?  I also guess that the files are not in a shareable format or are encrypted.

I had a PVR for so many years in USA that I find it hard to watch TV without being able to skip over every commercial.

• 2 months later...
On 1/19/2022 at 6:14 PM, misterphil said:

You need the following. 

OK... I've spoken to several people at True.  They all insist that I need the PVR box which is still out-of-stock.

Our box is labelled as a Samsung HD-S200S and has the E-Sata and the E-Sata power port.

So... I'll see if I can make it work just by adding an E-Sata drive and a thumb drive.  It will probably also be a struggle to get someone at True to add the PVR subscription to our account.

Do you happen to know what drive format works?  NTFS, FAT or exFAT?  I can quickly run through all those but if you know, I can just jump to the right one.

Edited by gamb00ler

Which shows?

I assume they are on channels offered by TrueVisions?

You have True Internet service?

I might look for a more modern solution. Maybe ask a thai friend to help you search thai forums?

I think you can stream your TrueVisions content via your TrueID, to a mobile or PC. Then you may be able to record streams?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tdcm.trueidapp

Maybe get one of these boxes? Then see what can be recorded? https://trueidtv.trueid.net/

*may require an upgrade in service

There are streaming aggregator services which offer catch-up services and Cloud DVR. They are not free.

Someone probably records these shows and re-streams them, so you can root around the interwebs.