Regarding: Fanny Hill: Memoirs of a Woman of Pleasure/Letter the First/Part 4

GammaGlobulin

My Dear Friends,

The reason I write to you at this time is to help you recall great moments in literary history.

Speaking of Fanny Hill, a simple novel loved by most of you, should you be my age, here are a number of quotes which you may fondly remember...

And, the reason I post these quotes here is not to be provocative, but only to show you that, no matter how contentious some of the posters on TV once tried to be, then they are but NOTHING compared to the great John Cleland, a man who chose to stay hidden, and never received true acclaim, as was his due, 

Please provide your thoughts concerning the following quotes, which are, basically, nothing, other than what most scholars consider to be great literature. 

Quote One:  "I had it now, I felt it now: and beginning to drive, he soon gave nature such a powerful summons down to her favourite quarters, that she could no longer refuse repairing thither: all my animal spirits then rush'd mechanically to that center of attraction, and presently, inly warm'd, and stirr'd as I was beyond bearing, I lost all restraint, and yielding to the force of the emotion, gave down, as mere woman, those effusions of pleasure, which in the strictness of still faithful love, I could have wish'd to have held up."

Quote Two:  "He did not return till six in the evening, to take me away to my new lodgings, and my moveables being soon pack'd, and convey'd into a hackney-coach, it cost me but little regret to take my leave of a landlady whom I thought I had so much reason not to be overpleas'd with, and as for her part, she made no other difference to my staying, or going, but what that of the profit created.

We soon got to the house appointed for me, which was that of a plain tradesman, who, on the score of interest, was entirely at Mr. H———'s devotion, and who let him the first floor very genteelly furnish'd, for two guineas a week, of which I was instated mistress, with a maid to attend me."

Quote Three:  "Mr. H——— continu'd kind and tender to me, yet, with all this I was far from happy; for, besides my regrets for my dear youth, which though often suspended, or diverted, still return'd upon me in certain melancholic moments with redoubl'd violence, I wanted more society, more dissipation.

As to Mr. H———, he was so much my superior in every sense, that I felt it too much to the disadvantage of the gratitude I ow'd him, thus he gain'd my esteem though he could not raise my taste; I was qualify'd for no sort of conversation with him, except one sort, and that is a satisfaction which leaves tiresome intervals, if not fill'd up by love, or other amusements.

Mr. H———, so experienc'd, so learned in the ways of women, numbers of whom had past through his hands, doubtless soon perceiv'd this uneasiness, and without approving or liking me the better for it, had the complaisance to indulge me."

Anyone here who is not my age probably sees not the beauty is such literary writings from the years 1748 and 1749, concerning Fanny Hill.

I have read Fanny Hill, many times, and I find every word of it miraculous, and to have been written by an almost superhuman being, and equal to any works of writing, anywhere.

I first read Fanny Hill when I was 12.

And, I will read Fanny Hill, one more time, when I am 92.

We all believe that we, each one of us, will live forever.

We all believe that our world will continue, as it is now, forever.

Sometimes we worry about the end of the universe.

And, for some reason, we don't first consider real risk.

Somehow, it seems so ridiculous to take our collective future....seriously.

Really?

Still, whether or not something or nothing happens, I am past my prime, and I will be dead soon.

Therefore, being so close to my jumping off point, into the next great experience beyond the grave, I would like to ask for another 10 years of my life without the need to live these years with FACEBOOK.

Someday, maybe not within the next 500 years, but sometime in the distant future, there will no longer be a FaceBook, and, then, Humankind will become less robotic, and more "Human".

Maybe we should not question anything.

2 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Please provide your thoughts concerning the following quotes, which are, basically, nothing, other than what most scholars consider to be great literature. 

Quote One:  "I had it now, I felt it now: and beginning to drive, he soon gave nature such a powerful summons down to her favourite quarters, that she could no longer refuse repairing thither: all my animal spirits then rush'd mechanically to that center of attraction, and presently, inly warm'd, and stirr'd as I was beyond bearing, I lost all restraint, and yielding to the force of the emotion, gave down, as mere woman, those effusions of pleasure, which in the strictness of still faithful love, I could have wish'd to have held up."

My thoughts?  That it is a fitting quote describing the "animal spirits" of those posting in:

Thailand, the most beautiful girls in the world.   :biggrin: