Another arrest in fraud case involving gang who tricked Songkhla monk out of 140,000 baht

webfact

2pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

Thailand's cyber police announced the arrest of a Thai woman named as Phisamai, 45, from Roi-Et, mixed up in a call center gang's fraud of a monk in Songkhla in southern Thailand. 

She opened an account that was used by the gang. She was arrested in Soi Charoen Krung 109 in Bangkok.

Earlier a man called Suchart, 44, was arrested at Pahonyothin police station, reported Daily News

The monk named as Phra Kornwich Watchirayano from a Hat Yai temple was conned into believing that he was wanted by the authorities for money laundering because of a suspect package intercepted by authorities. 

People posed as officials at a transport company and someone with police connections to get 140,000 baht out of the monk.

He transferred the money to the gang then through a network of accounts to hide its provenance it wound up in an account opened by Phisamai. 

Health insurance plans that meet the long stay visa requirements

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-01-21

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information

• Confused 2

1 hour ago, olfu said:

My understanding of Buddhism monks not suppose to have money or involved in public life.

It was likely money from family - this is a variation on a very common and old scam here - wanted by police but money can make it go away.  Only requires most basic bio data (which is all too easily obtained here) to make a story that is often believed, even by those with no such involvement.  In most cases not real police involved but they are tarred and people become even more paranoid.  

• Like 1

Well they are out begging 8 days a week, in my village at least.

I heard a cracker last week on the buddha day I said to my wife there were a lot of people all in white at the wat, and she said, oh yeah, big buddha day u have to take a bag of rice and if u can't do that u must give 150 baht, I was astonished.

So now they have put a price on making merit.

Edited by OneeyedJohn