Returning from the UK options

Hello, 

In short: I am currently in Bangkok. I have previously been on marriage extension visas for a couple of years, however this time I returned on a visa exempt and have successfully swapped to a non-O "90 day visiting wife visa" (expiring March 18th). The plan was to then swap to standard marriage extension visa here in Thailand (following forum advice, Thanks!!).

However, I now have to return to the UK mid-February for approximately 3 weeks. so I just want to double check my best course of action. 

- I assume my current 'visiting wife visa' is not multiple entry so that will expire when I leave. 
- I have the funds in my Thai bank, and other requirements for marriage extension (however I would prefer to obtain it when I return, rather than rushing to get it and a reentry permit before I leave mid-feb).

- So I believe that my best course of action would be to apply for a "Non-Immigrant Type (Visiting or staying with applicant's family resided in Thailand (more than 60 days) - single entry only)" 

from the UK embassy as soon as I arrive in the UK (and then swap to a marriage extension when I return to Thailand in March. 

Is this the best course of action? (and are there any problems with this plan?

Many thanks, 

Joe

Up to you where you obtain the Non O marriage.

Can do in UK or obtain a non O in Thailand after return via visa exempt entry.

Personally I would enter visa exempt and obtain the Non O in Thailand. 

After that obtain 12 month extension based on marriage. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You can get a re-entry permit for the 90 day stay you got from the non-o visa application you did at immigration. You would be stamped into the country to the day your 90 current day stay ends.

If the 90 days was going to expire before your return you could apply for a 60 day extension to visit your wife that would be added to the 90 days so you would have more time after you enter the country.

Thank you very much, 

Just a couple of queries (sorry for my incompetence) :

1. so in theory, I could get both a reentry permit, and a 60 day extension in one visit to immigration in Thailand? (before I leave for the UK) extended my possible leave another 60 days?

2. Do I have to apply for a 1 year marriage extension a certain time before my visa expires (e.g. 2 weeks before it expires) or can I apply in the last few days?

thank you

14 minutes ago, Joejoejoejoe said:

1. so in theory, I could get both a reentry permit, and a 60 day extension in one visit to immigration in Thailand? (before I leave for the UK) extended my possible leave another 60 days?

You can do both during the same trip to immigration. You would do the 60 day extension application first.

Then you would get the re-entry permit issued that will be valid to the day the 60 day extension ends and that would be the day you would be stamped into the country. That would be the day your 90 day stay from the visa ends plus 60 days.

14 minutes ago, Joejoejoejoe said:

2. Do I have to apply for a 1 year marriage extension a certain time before my visa expires (e.g. 2 weeks before it expires) or can I apply in the last few days?

You can apply for the one year extension during the last 30 days of the entry you will get from the re-entry permit. There is no minimum number of days to apply for the one year extension other than the last day.

• Thanks 1

On 1/21/2022 at 9:19 AM, DrJack54 said:

Up to you where you obtain the Non O marriage.

Can do in UK or obtain a non O in Thailand after return via visa exempt entry.

Personally I would enter visa exempt and obtain the Non O in Thailand. 

After that obtain 12 month extension based on marriage. 

OP is entitled to visa exempt entry due to previously having been on a Non-O? (i.e not back - back Tourist visas )

6 minutes ago, James Bernard said:

OP is entitled to visa exempt entry due to previously having been on a Non-O? (i.e not back - back Tourist visas )

Don't understand your question.

This from the OP.....

"assume my current 'visiting wife visa' is not multiple entry so that will expire when I leave."

OP is correct. When he exited Thailand with no reentry permit his non O is dead.

He can enter visa exempt and obtain non O or obtain new Non O in UK.

43 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Don't understand your question.

This from the OP.....

"assume my current 'visiting wife visa' is not multiple entry so that will expire when I leave."

OP is correct. When he exited Thailand with no reentry permit his non O is dead.

He can enter visa exempt and obtain non O or obtain new Non O in UK.

Ok. Poorly phrased, perhaps. Not disagreeing. Didn't know visa exempt entry was happening alongside STV etc.

On 1/24/2022 at 7:00 AM, ubonjoe said:

At this time you would need $50,000 baht of medical insurance for covid 19 to enter the country.

Info here on Thailand Pass site. https://tp.consular.go.th/en/plan

Many thanks for that Joe. I had a look at the site and it is part of the "Sandbox" scheme. I gather I would need of 1.65m Baht (US$50K) of covid included health care cover as you say. I have no idea what the annual cost for a 67 year old with chronic asthma would be.

My missus gave me a copy of a policy document (all in Thai and supposedly from her friend's just returned Aussie husband) from Bangkok Bank for 36K Baht annual premium, but I know she has mixed up health and life insurance before and the documents are headed 'Bangkok Bank Life Insurance' in English...

There must be plenty of guys in my situation wondering how much extra it will cost to get back in next time we leave Thailand.

The reason I ask on here is because if you call an insurance company for a quote once you never get rid of them.

Edited by George FmplesdaCosteedback
typo

5 hours ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

I have no idea what the annual cost for a 67 year old with chronic asthma would be.

You do not need a year of insurance coverage. Many people are entering with only 30 days of the $50,000 insurance.

18 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You do not need a year of insurance coverage. Many people are entering with only 30 days of the $50,000 insurance.

Okay, but there must be a risk of refusal. You can get in with a tourist "on entry" visa with that but what happens if they say "NO" for 9 months plus renewals on a retirement reentry stamp.

Does the law say the insurance needs to cover the length of stay, or you just need a health policy for US$50k to enter? I guess we are in the hands of who is on the counter on the day as usual. Sorry to ask, but I don't know where to look for better info than you have.