Toyota Altis Headlights

Negita43

I have a 21 year old Toyota Altis which is in excellent condition except that the headlight glass/plastic cover (not sure which) is severely fogged.

2 questions.

1. Is it possible to get them restored in Thailand (Korat)

2. I f I can't get them restored or replaced (not sure if replacements would be still available) then the other option is to fit a set of spotlights (at least that what they were called in my day - maybe now something different) to improve night time visibility.

Are such lights legal in Thailand?

Thanks

Do it yourself, easy. The outer layer needs cleaning off, sun damage. There are many methods but try this first.

WD40, give them a soak with that first on a bit of cloth, leave it to work for 10 mins. wipe it off, then get car polish paste and give them a good rubbing, even paint cutting paste makes things easier to begin with...

• Like 2

You can do it yourself with a few different grades of liquid polish and a power drill / orbital sander after some very light sanding with very fine sandpaper. Takes a bit of patience and assumes the issue is on the outside.

Meguires I think was the brand of the polish I used on my old Alfa GTAs. Worked wonders.

• Like 2

check out YouTube, full of methods to make them look like new. In my case Lazada was selling new covers for my Ford Focus for less than 400 baht, easy to replace and looks like new.

• Like 1

Check out Lazada. enter  Toyota Corolla headlights and dozens appear  from 339 Bht to 1600, depends on your model. Any local mechanic can fit them for 200 bht

I have just checked again and found them for 299, you will see the same photo illustration on a wide variation of prices. 

Edited by PJPom
additional info
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, PJPom said:

Check out Lazada. enter  Toyota Corolla headlights and dozens appear  from 339 Bht to 1600, depends on your model. Any local mechanic can fit them for 200 bht

I have just checked again and found them for 299, you will see the same photo illustration on a wide variation of prices. 

Thanks

1 hour ago, PJPom said:

386666424_altisHead.jpg.902b9a2aae74f3525673a9f5c6eb19f0.jpg1953743724_altishead2.jpg.8f7f51051bed9c26b2ca00defa5852c4.jpg

9 minutes ago, Negita43 said:

just tried a search on lazada a precise search gets nothing a lose search gets thousands and mostly not headlights. Do you have your search criteria or better still the url - or did you get the thousands of results

Edited by Negita43
spelling loose not lose

toyota altis headlights ...........my initial fault was Toyota Corolla without specifying altis...I am now looking at opening page...only a few for Altis and they are quite pricey . Not sure if they are complete units including reflectors.

Thanks yellowtail I found the item it seems they only have LH (no RH) and if you look at the bit I've highlighted that's a bit confusing. BUT I looked at the end of the page you sent and found this - not sure if that price is for a pair or not.

Thanks again for taking the time to help.1549873319_altis2.thumb.jpg.c9a1012f1eaea4e11b5e204e9cd93915.jpg

altis 1.jpg

Had the same on my Vios.

Tried WD40 , petrol ,rubbing alcohol , nail varnish remover , bleach ....everything.

Nothing really worked to my satisfaction.

Then , I was washing my car with Waxy car wash and polish combined and when I got to the headlights ,  I filled up the sponge and worked it over the headlights for about a minute with quite firm pressure. I was amazed when I rinsed off to see the headlights were greatly improved. Much better result than everything else had tried.Not perfect but big improvement Always liked Waxy car wash and polish but even bigger fan now.

Alternatively, get replacement lights made in Taiwan. About 2500 baht a pair from Kai Dee. 

1643068669517.jpg.48e9c5255c17be6e0d99af2bb5e50979.jpg

Edited by Denim

Just a final thought, you commented that the problem was of course night vision, when I bought my older Ford Focus it had a medium tint on all the windows. I firstly replaced headlight bulbs as I thought they were not good enough but came to the conclusion the tint was the problem, I removed the front screen tint and vision improved dramatically.

Next I put a band or tint on just the top of the screen and cut the side window tint so that I could see the rear view mirrors clearly, amazing the difference.

When you can’t see the driver through the windscreen in the day how much do you think he can see at night, answer, very little.

• Like 1

Hi just an update about the Altis foggy lights.

Today I called in at my local dealership (I get them to service it from time to time) - cost to replace both headlights 6,000 Baht!!!!!.

So (after they revived me) when I got home I reviewed all your kind inputs and I found one I hadn't tried - WD 40 (or similar).

Hey presto! It made a significant improvement - I followed this up with a paste of ARO stain remover powder (I use this a lot for removing the carbon from the cooking pans I burn!!).

Now I would say that the light intensity is 60 to 70% better.

But now it is also obvious that the lights have a lot of crazing inside, but at least I have bought myself some time.IMG20220125184838.thumb.jpg.5bdae1e8d76c1451e645ea768aace5c2.jpg

Take note of what PJPom said about heavy windscreen tint.

I do headlights (in the UK) with fine grade wet & dry (used very wet) ..... you should see a milky paste appear as you rub. Then T-cut. Then any car body polish.

headlights.jpg

Edited by Lancashirelad