Bangkok and Northern Provinces to See Rising PM2.5 Levels

webfact

6b57ecb28df301ec30d42bac8f242a4f_small.jpg

By Natthaphon Sangpolsit

BANGKOK (NNT) - The Center for Air Pollution Mitigation (CAPM) has warned that Bangkok and many provinces in Northern Thailand will see a rise in fine particulate matter measuring 2.5 microns or less in diameter (PM2.5) next week.

Atthapol Charoenchansa, who heads the CAPM and is also director-general of the Pollution Control Department, said the Center predicts that stagnant air and reduced wind speeds next week will lead to rising concentrations of PM2.5 in Bangkok and nearby provinces from January 25-26. PM2.5 levels are expected to increase to unsafe levels in seventeen provinces in northern Thailand from January 25-28.

The director-general has advised residents to avoid outdoor activities and to wear protective face masks, as well as refrain from burning goods during this period to avoid contributing to air pollution.

He is also encouraging members of the public to stay informed on the air quality in their respective areas via the websites Air4Thai.com and Bangkokairquality.com, or through the Air4Thai and AirBKK mobile apps, before going outside.

nnt.jpg
-- © Copyright NNT 2022-01-24

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

2 hours ago, webfact said:

The director-general has advised residents to avoid outdoor activities and to wear protective face masks, as well as refrain from burning goods during this period to avoid contributing to air pollution.

What is the point of this comment? People are already wearing face mask outside, are they not? Now we get 2 in 1 benefit to wear them. It's a bargain.

Edited by JensenZ

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Atthapol Charoenchansa, who heads the CAPM and is also director-general of the Pollution Control Department, said the Center predicts that stagnant air and reduced wind speeds next week will lead to rising concentrations of PM2.5 in Bangkok and nearby provinces from January 25-26. PM2.5 levels are expected to increase to unsafe levels in seventeen provinces in northern Thailand from January 25-28

????

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

PM2.5 levels are expected to increase to unsafe levels in seventeen provinces in northern Thailand from January 25-28.

Is this a news? What are this inept trying to explain now?????
We all know what Smog Season is meaning. They will do NOTHING.

Chiang Mai has the worst pollution level in the world… NUMBER ONE, as you like to be. 

Hey Turists !  Come on to visit our City, you will get a free emphysema pulmonary for free ????

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Tarteso said:

Is this a news? What are this inept trying to explain now?????
We all know what Smog Season is meaning. They will do NOTHING.

Chiang Mai has the worst pollution level in the world… NUMBER ONE, as you like to be. 

Hey Turists !  Come on to visit our City, you will get a free emphysema pulmonary for free ????

Chiang Mai is bad - I live there, I know. But to call it "number one" is an absolute exaggeration.

It has been once or twice at the top, when chance wanted that others were down, and in any case only from a selected list of places. But that doesn't mean much in the long term, which is what matters. You should check Delhi or similar.

Wikipedia lists the top 500 most polluted cities in the world, the only Thailand entry is Bangkok at 474.

Right now, at the beginning of Jan 25, the readings for CM are actually not too bad for the season, PM2.5 is 21 and total is 70. The air has been quite clean the last few days. Let's hope this season will be a little better than usual.

As far I checked, PM levels have been bad for a few months already in BKK, each time I checked the app. Kind of strange for the north tho, as burning is not in play? 

From that perspective not sure why people blow the CM thing up that much, I'd rather have the 1-2 months horrible than 9-10 months a year in BKK.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

1 hour ago, arithai12 said:

4 benefits:

-covid

-pollution

-sunscreen

-no need to shave

Good points on the other two, but who cares about shaving or not. The wife saves on makeup, and that's very expensive LOL... and of course I benefit too as she can be ready to leave the house in 10 minutes.

7 hours ago, arithai12 said:

Chiang Mai is bad - I live there, I know. But to call it "number one" is an absolute exaggeration.

It has been once or twice at the top, when chance wanted that others were down, and in any case only from a selected list of places. But that doesn't mean much in the long term, which is what matters. You should check Delhi or similar.

Wikipedia lists the top 500 most polluted cities in the world, the only Thailand entry is Bangkok at 474.

Right now, at the beginning of Jan 25, the readings for CM are actually not too bad for the season, PM2.5 is 21 and total is 70. The air has been quite clean the last few days. Let's hope this season will be a little better than usual.

I live in North for a decade. Chiang Mai's air quality has, for years, been extremely polluted and a great concern for locals and activists alike. And I’m not talking about Delhi, I am also referring to the columns of smoke caused by farmers and neighbors who burn garbage, plastics, chemical remains from the plantations, which DAILY 24/7 12 Months… Politiclowns does NOTHING.

AF24AEF2-9B76-4828-9DE6-1C7A3B7B2485.jpeg