Moving to Ban Chang

brewsterbudgen

After 16 years living and working in Bangkok, I'm finally moving my family out of the city and we're renting a house in Ban Chang, Rayong.

I'd be very grateful for advice or tips/experiences about the following, from any BMs who already live there.

Immigration.  Presumably we will use Immigration in Rayong for 90-days, Extensions & TM30s, or is there a local Ban Chang office?  Are they efficient and friendly?!  Do you (or can you) make an appointment, or is it easy to just turn up?

Hospitals.  Presumably there is a decent hospital in Ban Change for emergencies.  But do people go to Rayong, Pattaya or Bangkok for non-emergency treatment/care?  I have insurance so would prefer to use international hospitals.

Dentists.  Hopefully there are some good ones locally.

Car registration/licences.  Is there a Transport office in Ban Chang for renewing the annual registration and for renewing 5-year driving licences.  If not, is it in Rayong?

Banks.  Are the banks in Ban Chang (specifically Bangkok Bank or Kasikorn) "farang friendly"?  I've been told by Bangkok Bank in Bangkok that I will need to open a new account if I don't want to pay the 'commission' every time I use my ATM card.  Is this straightforward (I have work permit).

Supermarkets.  I know there's a Lotus near our village, but is this it for 'big' shopping?  Is there a Big C, Villa or Central in the area, or do most people go to Pattaya for 'fine' shopping?  What about IT equipment (I'll be buying a home-office) - can this be purchased in town, or in Pattaya / online.

Many thanks!

Makro and Big C fairly close in Sattahip, Thai Watsado and Mega Home in Bang Chang, thats all I know but I am sure the locals will be along shortly with a lot more information for you ????

The new motorway lets you get to North Pattaya in about 20 minutes,  Villa and Foodland are right there where the motorway comes in to Sukhumvit,

From what I Found as moving there soon as well.there is a big Tesco .  But as someone said seems to be a lot in sattahip. Thats were I moving I tryed to get an English breakfast in bang Chang . there was two places in the strip were the main bars are or should I say we're..as all shut due to covid... No looks like lacking in English food around .. nearest place sems to be a pub called finigans towards parla beach. As for imigration I was told to keep my old address so I can still use Pattaya...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, yeahbutif said:

From what I Found as moving there soon as well.there is a big Tesco .  But as someone said seems to be a lot in sattahip. Thats were I moving I tryed to get an English breakfast in bang Chang . there was two places in the strip were the main bars are or should I say we're..as all shut due to covid... No looks like lacking in English food around .. nearest place sems to be a pub called finigans towards parla beach. As for imigration I was told to keep my old address so I can still use Pattaya...

When we were looking for houses in Ban Chang we stayed at the Lord Nelson, right on the beach.  Great "English" food - including a proper breakfast.  Seemed to be popular with the locals for a beer and fish & chips supper.

2 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

When we were looking for houses in Ban Chang we stayed at the Lord Nelson, right on the beach.  Great "English" food - including a proper breakfast.  Seemed to be popular with the locals for a beer and fish & chips supper

Okay great will check it out 

Immigration is at Mapthaput, just 10 minutes from BC and very easy to deal with.

Have a big local hospital, have Bangkok Hospital clinic, Bangkok Hospital Rayong.

There is a very good dentist at Buraphapat Clinic on the bypass road.

Car registrations/Tax disc can be done the the inspection office just beside the big Tesco. Driving license renewal at Rayong.

Most of the banks have at least one decent English speaker.

There is a big Lotus on Sukhumvit, Robinsons will have a Tops, opening soon, locally for very good beef, steaks, wine, cheese etc. Ban Chang Expat Mart on the bypass road.

IT equipment - not so much here.

1 hour ago, LennyW said:

Immigration is at Mapthaput, just 10 minutes from BC and very easy to deal with.

Have a big local hospital, have Bangkok Hospital clinic, Bangkok Hospital Rayong.

There is a very good dentist at Buraphapat Clinic on the bypass road.

Car registrations/Tax disc can be done the the inspection office just beside the big Tesco. Driving license renewal at Rayong.

Most of the banks have at least one decent English speaker.

There is a big Lotus on Sukhumvit, Robinsons will have a Tops, opening soon, locally for very good beef, steaks, wine, cheese etc. Ban Chang Expat Mart on the bypass road.

IT equipment - not so much here.

That's really useful; much appreciated.  Very happy to hear that a Tops will be opening!

With the motorway so easy now going to Pattaya either north end or south end is a piece of cake. Bangkok Pattaya hospital is my choice as Rayong do not speak so much English. The last few years a ton of road construction going on and travel to and from can be a bit challenging but when this is all done getting around will really be good.  Big Central malls in both Rayong and Pattaya your choice. As said a new tops will open very soon as part of a Robinsons mall. Dental care is good and many offices just need to try one.

Immigration as said is 10 minutes away and really good service and with Covid it's never crowded. 90 day reports in/out less than 10 minutes usually . I have been here in Phala Beach close to water but easy to get to town if needed and 10 minutes to the entrance to motorway to go north. 30 minute trip to Pattaya and Bangkok hospital

I originally had an account at Bangkok Bank Silom, and transferred it several years ago to the branch on Sukhumvit in Banchang. (Just a passbook account with ATM card). I can't remember the exact process, but it wasn't difficult, and the staff there are helpful and some speak quite good English.

Immigration at Maptaphut play it by the book, they don't mess you about with unreasonable demands if you've got the right paperwork. I've never made an appointment there, but I don't know if they use the new appointment system. Online 90-day reporting works ok with them.

The Department of Land Transport Office is on the left on the outskirts of Rayong City just after the junction for the bypass. You have to make an appointment to renew your Driving Licence and do the online training module before you go for the renewal, which now takes only an hour or so compared with the half-day it used to. For the Car Tax renewal, as others have posted, the place beside Lotus's is fine.

24 minutes ago, stratocaster said:

I am the opposite to you. I spent 15 years in Ban Chang then moved to Bangkok 2 years ago. I wish I had been able to move years earlier. The only thing I miss is Rayong immigration.

Cheers.  I'm certainly not going to miss Chaengwattana Immigration, and it's good hear good reports about Immigration in Rayong.

So, what are the downsides to life in Ban Chang?  Hit me with them please; I think I can take it!

I spent 5 years in Rayong which is livelier than Ban Chang and still I could not take it and moved my family to BKK.

Although I have to stay in Rayong from Monday to Friday due to work, I'm glad that I relocated my family there.

Now I rent a cheap 1 bedroom apartment in Map kha. You should consider Mueang Rayong or Sattahip rather than Ban Chang.

On 1/26/2022 at 8:58 AM, brewsterbudgen said:

Cheers.  I'm certainly not going to miss Chaengwattana Immigration, and it's good hear good reports about Immigration in Rayong.

So, what are the downsides to life in Ban Chang?  Hit me with them please; I think I can take it!

The throngs of Bangkokians descending on the beaches any holiday weekends, they pack into the crab house on the beach and then just wander about all over the road, park where they want, it can be a bit hectic down there!

On 1/27/2022 at 2:52 PM, timberpond said:

Rayong which is livelier than Ban Chang

The Strip in Banchang was dying before Covid shut it down, but I suspect the OP is a family man and less likely to be attracted by thumping music, overpriced beer and the ministrations of ladies of uncertain age. For a newcomer I suppose the place might seem a bit dull until you can develop contacts and a social life of your own.

The only downsides I can think of are that the only one of the three beaches that is up to par, and then barely, is Phala, and returning from a trip to the Western and North-western highlands I realised that we are not living in the most beautiful part of Thailand.

I can't imagine why anyone would want to live in Sattahip.

On 1/26/2022 at 8:58 AM, brewsterbudgen said:

One particular downside, which @Eff1n2ret and others living locally may be able to confirm, is with the local Thailand Post mail delivery service, which, I understand, is erratic at best and virtually non-existent at worst. Delays in receiving mail can be a particular PITA in the case of correspondence sent from your home country and requiring attention within a specified deadline (in particular State Pension life certificates in the case of us Brits). This appears to be a Ban Chang-specific issue, however, since the postal delivery service provided by my local post office at Kram has, in my experience, generally been excellent.

Edited by OJAS
  • Like 1

On 1/26/2022 at 8:32 AM, stratocaster said:

I am the opposite to you. I spent 15 years in Ban Chang then moved to Bangkok 2 years ago. I wish I had been able to move years earlier. The only thing I miss is Rayong immigration.

On 1/27/2022 at 2:52 PM, timberpond said:

I spent 5 years in Rayong which is livelier than Ban Chang and still I could not take it and moved my family to BKK.

Although I have to stay in Rayong from Monday to Friday due to work, I'm glad that I relocated my family there.

Now I rent a cheap 1 bedroom apartment in Map kha. You should consider Mueang Rayong or Sattahip rather than Ban Chang.

I can think of no more ghastly place to live, personally, than Bangkok!☹️

Edited by OJAS

22 minutes ago, OJAS said:

One particular downside, which @Eff1n2ret and others living locally may be able to confirm, is with the local Thailand Post mail delivery service, which, I understand, is erratic at best and virtually non-existent at worst. Delays in receiving mail can be a particular PITA in the case of correspondence sent from your home country and requiring attention within a specified deadline (in particular State Pension life certificates in the case of us Brits). This appears to be a Ban Chang-specific issue, however, since the postal delivery service provided by my local post office at Kram has, in my experience, generally been excellent.

Courier service  for important documents!

3 hours ago, OJAS said:

Never had much issue with the mail, in 10 years in BC i actually find it much better than when i stayed in Pattaya, important as always to have the correct Moo numbers, but some areas that are not in Moo bans or specific roads might be an issue.

4 minutes ago, OJAS said:

Well good luck in trying to get DWP to send us Brits our State Pension life certificate requests, then!!

They can send to UK address from which your friends or family courier  to here..

BTW I'm British in receipt  of Pension  but have no idea what you're  talking about

Edited by The Hammer2021

On 1/24/2022 at 1:14 PM, brewsterbudgen said:

Immigration.  Presumably we will use Immigration in Rayong for 90-days, Extensions & TM30s, or is there a local Ban Chang office?  Are they efficient and friendly?!  Do you (or can you) make an appointment, or is it easy to just turn up?

local immigration is in mataphut, very good never really busy

Hospitals.  Presumably there is a decent hospital in Ban Change for emergencies.  But do people go to Rayong, Pattaya or Bangkok for non-emergency treatment/care?  I have insurance so would prefer to use international hospitals.

bangkok hospital rayong is the closest private hospital, 

Dentists.  Hopefully there are some good ones locally.

a few on the sukumvit road in ban chang, there is 1 on the bypass (back road) road

Car registration/licences.  Is there a Transport office in Ban Chang for renewing the annual registration and for renewing 5-year driving licences.  If not, is it in Rayong?

on sukumvit road before Rayong on the left

Banks.  Are the banks in Ban Chang (specifically Bangkok Bank or Kasikorn) "farang friendly"?  I've been told by Bangkok Bank in Bangkok that I will need to open a new account if I don't want to pay the 'commission' every time I use my ATM card.  Is this straightforward (I have work permit).

all the bank are in ban chang, never did like kasakorn,   i use krungsri, parking good bank is upstairs

Supermarkets.  I know there's a Lotus near our village, but is this it for 'big' shopping?  Is there a Big C, Villa or Central in the area, or do most people go to Pattaya for 'fine' shopping?  What about IT equipment (I'll be buying a home-office) - can this be purchased in town, or in Pattaya / online.

Lotus is on the sukhumvit, not very good, there is another at kilosip, (also Queen sirikit navy  hospital (better than government hospital),)

Sattahip has a Lotus, big C and a makro,

IT equipment is really in Rayong behind Lotus store on the Sukhumvit

there is a new 'Robinsons' mall opening in March i belive on the Sukhmvit on the way to Rayong opposite Thaiwatsadu (diy store)

restaurants are few and far in Ban chang, some on the strip do food, FInigans is a irish bar outside city centre, food ok not as good as it used to be,  Lord nelson would not be my choice for food, but not tried for a long time, there is a cafe near to the Lord nelson on the sea front, 'purple parrot' food is good 'Nina' the owner is very friendly. there some other small cafe type places scattered here and there.

in Phla is '24' restaurant, very good as is 'phala ribs' and 'micasa ' all three very close together.

locals phala beach is nice sloping sand, with trees as shade, also has a sea food restaurant on the beach,

Good luck with the move, hope you settle in, as an aside i think the phala area is a good choice to stay as its away from the Sukhumvit road, and close to the beach, and has a better choice of small cafes and restaurant's, but that's a personal choice

edit sorry about the long post

Edited by steve187

Thanks for the replies; very helpful.  We have a 7-year-old son, so proximity to his school is important, and the village we've chosen seems OK.  My days of drinking in bars are pretty much over, so the 'quietness' doesn't worry me, and although going to the beach will be great for weekends and outings, we're not really a 'beach family'. 

• Like 1